Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfe tones: Traditional music or Traditional Crap?

Options
  • 14-08-2004 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

As the topic says : Wolfe tones: Traditional music or Traditional Crap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

They've been on the go for a long time. I think pre 80's they were music, but now they are pure and utter sh*te. They seem to pander now to the kind of people who insert IRA slogans in the middle of The Fields Of Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    They seem to pander now to the kind of people who insert IRA slogans in the middle of The Fields Of Athenry.

Scum?icon12.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

They have of course got very strong Republican stuff, but they have also some good music. I have their greatest hits CD and there are some nice tracks, with no strong political slants on them.

Scum?icon12.gif
    more like sheep I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I went to see them about 7 years ago and thought they were excellent, but went again about 2 years ago and wasn't impressed at all.

There very strong republicans but they have some important storys to tell through their music, and no-one could deny that they are talented musicians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are'nt there at least two Wolfe Tones these days...? The split and all that.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

traditional crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

traditional crap
    wow im so in awe of your wit, intelligence and taste of music. That was a great post, informative, polite and debateable :rollseyes.

Why dont you post what about the wolf tones you dislike.

Please dont argue that you were just answering the question.
    If you meet a good lookin girl at the weekend and she asks you do you have a name, answering yes probably isnt the smartest thing you can do.

jhonny, what do you even mean by traditional crap?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Probably means the same silly republican attachments made to the music.

I have their greatest hits too, and I like it. I wouldnt be mad into them though. They've been around for a long time, and that deserves respect.

Though, I dont think that a band should be disliked because of other peoples actions, ie people who insert IRA slogans in the middle of The Fields Of Athenry.

Jesjes wrote:
    Though, I dont think that a band should be disliked because of other peoples actions, ie people who insert IRA slogans in the middle of The Fields Of Athenry.

Agreed - I dislike them becaue they're pandering to those people. I foolishly went to see them maybe 4 years ago in waterford. If an englishman walked in to the room I'd imagine he would have been linched.

They're not the band they were 30 years ago (2 bands now I think).
    So to answer the question:
    "Old" Wolfe Tones - Traditional Music
    "New" Wolfe Tones - Spawn Of Satan (in checked shirt tucked into blue jeans with white runners - and the jeans are too short and very very tapered).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Im not into them at all to be honest. Average singers/musicians who thrive off lowbrows who still like to feel oppressed by our neighbours.

Typical reads of nassau street pap.

I mean look at the heads on them. Its enough to make Jim McCann blush.
    WOLFE_TONES_2002.jpg

(Whose the guy in the middle? He looks dangerous. Is it that milkman from father ted? Pat Mustard?) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Free Moustache Rides!!

Anyway...

Traditional crap. Saw them in Cork a few years ago and was nearly scared. Rednecks with Celtic jersies roaring on about the Rah, made me embarrassed to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

mike65 wrote:
    Are'nt there at least two Wolfe Tones these days...? The split and all that.

Yes, you have the Real Wolf Tones and the Continuity Wolf Tones! :)

wow im so in awe of your wit, intelligence and taste of music. That was a great post, informative, polite and debateable :rollseyes.

Why dont you post what about the wolf tones you dislike.

Please dont argue that you were just answering the question.
    If you meet a good lookin girl at the weekend and she asks you do you have a name, answering yes probably isnt the smartest thing you can do.
    traditional crap?

hehe liked that good looking girl point... really wanna do that now, just to see the look on her face!

I was just answering the question, I dont like the fact that their music isnt good but *sh|t* rebel lyrics make them millionaires, I don't understand how people like it, closest analogy is the same way people like singing to team chants at football games.

Then again I cant understand why David Bowie is so loved.

Then again I cant understand why David Bowie is so loved.

Same reason at this stage - nostaglia.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Yes, you have the Real Wolf Tones and the Continuity Wolf Tones!
    Now thats Good!!! Vey Good

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Agreed - I dislike them becaue they're pandering to those people. I foolishly went to see them maybe 4 years ago in waterford. If an englishman walked in to the room I'd imagine he would have been linched.

Was that the famous "near riot" show at the Bridge hotel (Breens) which was later mentioned on the Late Late Show when the Tones were on it?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Great if you sitting with a few mates having a session. I wouldnt listen to them on my walkman on the way to work or college tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

jhonny, what do you even mean by traditional crap?

I really should have named his topic Traditional music or Traditional Crap - Give examples and Discuss tbh. It would have made the thread more interesting rather than singling out the Wolfe tones..

Anyway, Irish Traditional music especially in the world today, many think of Christy Moore, Patsy McCabe and others... but that is only because they play in a traditional way. If you go to any bar in the Teelin, Carna, or remote location in Ireland. The real Traditional Music is heard - which is a man (/woman) sitting in a corner of a bar, with his (/her) head between his (/her) legs singing a song native to their area - that song has been past down generations and generations...

Most Modern songs, have been written with an objective - "Boys of the Old Brigade" for example.. is an Irish freedom call which is aimed to get people fired up for the fight and proud to be Irish etc. This isn’t Traditional Music.

Therefore most of Wolfe tones songs are Traditional crap.. <as is Christy Moore’s songs etc>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Therefore most of Wolfe tones songs are Traditional crap.. <as is Christy Moore’s songs etc>

In fairness Christy Moore doesn't pander to that type of crap. I haven't heard Christ Moore sing too many rabal rousing songs lately. He's nearer Billy Bragg than Wolfe Tones surely ?
    Ok - he's anti-establishment, anti-thatcher - i think its a bit unfair to lump him in with the Wolfe Tones. (and their republican nonsense for sixteen year old dubs with sovereign rings)

[interest] i'm from droichead nua [/interest]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

I think the wolftones serve a purpose though, like i come from a family where no one listens to trad music, so growning up i never heard it, then when i was about 18 r so i got a loan of a wolftone album(25th aniversary album i think) and i liked what i heard, so then got a few more, then got some luke kelly then from there on in just started listening to all sorts of trad music. So there like a stepping stone :) everyone thats on heroin got addicted to hash first :) so wolftones are like the hash of trad music :)

but i do have to add there album with "you'll never beat the irish" on it there was some songs so bad id class them as hate crimes to trad music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Presumably Johnny the Fox you'd label the Dubliners and Luke Kelly as trad crap also as they sing songs with a republican theme like Off to Dublin in the Green or The West's Awake ?

A lot of the appeal of the Tones is to a rather moronic segment of the population ( mostly celtic fans sadly) and I agree that some of the scumbags I've seen at their gigs in crap London pubs wouldn't look out of place on a Most Wanted poster , however they have consistently supported the efforts towards peace in the north. Their song The Protestant Men celebrates the role of protestants in Ireland's various rebellions, despite the sectarian views of many of their audience.

I have a certain admiration for them in keeping some of the old songs alive in the face of the new found ,middle class political correctness that seems to find any reminders of our country's past too unpleasant to be discussed. I don't think that rebel songs should be dismissed simply because their political message is out dated , these songs / their sentiments were important to many past generations and shouldn't be deleted to fit into the image of cool ireland today.

Regardless of taste or political views , they are keeping part of our cultural heritage alive, sad though it may be, being anti-english was a important part of our traditional music for a long time.

Well Mr. Fox you could call Christy Moore etc traditional crap, personally I'd go with traditional Irish influenced music :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Growler, I agree wholeheartedly with your posting. I lived in Australia for a year, and before going over knew precisely no rebel songs. However, I frequented an Irish pub in Sydney where rebel music was played regularly with fervour, and being a Guitar player, inevitably ended up picking up many of these songs over the year.

For me, singing these songs in Irish Sydney pubs was 90% drunken fun, nothing more than an excuse to get riled up and reaffirm your nationality whilst on the other side of the world. But some of the songs were also poignant, and should not be construed as frivolous mechanisms to subscript impressionable minds to the IRA. They are ballads, mapping our history of rebellion and dissent.

I wont lie. There were times when I may have been at one of these rebel sessions with an English friend or two and shared their awkwardness at the Anti-English sentiment of much of the lyrics. But should our relatively recent history be consigned to the realm of unspeakable because of the less honourable direction the Republican movement took in the latter half of the 20th century? The Irish Civil War is already a skeleton in the closet that is not discussed, for obvious reasons. But what else will our new affluent, politically correct refined citizenry render taboo? The 1916 Rising? The War of Independence? Should all of these events and the heroism of Pearce, Collins, Connelly et al be brushed under the carpet for the crimes of the drug-dealing, murderous latter day IRA?

Rebel songs are part of our heritage. I learned dozens of them over the course of a couple of years, in synchronicty with non-rebel ballads. Whilst some rebel songs are more potent in their hatred than others, I make no distinction between songs such as 'Streets of New York' and 'Black and Tans'. True, one is a rebel song about a band of butchers assembled by the British to crush dissent to their rule of Ireland, whilst the other is a non-rebel song about immigration. And yet both are inherently, indelibly entwined in our history.

I'm not saying go out and sing rebel songs at the top of your lungs to a crowd of English people. There should be a sensitivity about where potentially inflamatory songs are sung. Nor am I saying go and buy the albums of 'The Wolftones', whom I think are absolutely sh*te. But get off your PC, sanctimonious high-horse, and leave people who prefer to proliferate songs about our very-recent past alone. Don't brand them all Celtic-jersey wearing, hate fuelled red necks. This is a generalisation.

I could just as easily generalise that all of those people who would gladly banish to oblivion all songs that refer to our past problems with Britain, are the same bland, trendy new Europeans, devoid of any discernable trait of culture, who prefer to spend their freetime posing in one of the City Centre's disgustingly sterile, zero atmosphere new-age cafe bars. Will any of you be recycling the affectations of your posts here to friends over 5-euro pints of Heinekin in Cafe En-Signe, Four Dame Lane or A.K.A this weekend? I find these kind kind of people just as embarassing as the hate-fuelled, anti-English celtic jersey wearing rednecks. I would hate to see either be regarded as representitive of Irish culture.

Wow so much typing.....so little information.

You said it yourself they are utter shíte. No one was being sanctimonious or attacking your right to play/listen/sing "Rebel" songs (whatever the Fúck rebel songs are). The Wolfetones used to play trad music that included some rebel songs - they were a band and had some artistic merit. Come the late 80s early 90s - go to a Wolfetone's gig - sea of green and white hoops, tapered jeans and white runners. Their subsequent albums took an artistic nosedive and more and more pandered to these eejits.
    "Rebel" (god i hate that word) songs sung by Christy Moore or Luke Kelly or whomever, have a lot more meaning because you know they're not just playing-up to little knackers who have an inbred hatred to "the fúcking Brits".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The way I see it, the Wolfe Tones are pissing on those songs, they sing them and seem to want to appeal to the braindead idiots who think that the IRA are still the good lads. This is just the Wolfe Tones I'm talking about, the old rebel songs should be remembered just like songs and poetry from any war should be. Christy Moore and Luke Kelly and virtually everyone that sings these songs apart from the Wolfe Tones give the songs the proper respect and place, not as a soundtrack to a Celtic vs Rangers match but as a part of our history. The Wolfe Tones have lost all respect they once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

John2 , no one would argue the Tones should be up for an Oscar for best contribution to music, they are at best pub players granted , but without them where else would you hear these songs nowadays ? Certainly not in suburban Cork or Dublin , nor anywhere a tourist might venture lest the suss out that the leprechauns can bite back.

by Reactor
    "have a lot more meaning because you know they're not just playing-up to little knackers who have an inbred hatred to "the fúcking Brits"

so you judge them by their audience rather than the music ? If you had ever been to see the Wolfe Tones you would know that they don't particularly encourage these loons , but in a time of such sterilised Irish "culture" ( Riverdance, Bloomsday etc.) they are an outlet for a different part of our heritage , fairl play to them , I can't see who will follow them except the odd ex-pat like Dublinario or myself.

Btw: you should do to Glasgow, I've seen bands in paramilitary style uniforms singing the "modern version" of rebel songs ( "SAM missiles in the sky " or My Old Man's a Provo " etc) and even these are often though obviously republican and nationalist , worth hearing , if only coz they are very funny ( despite the horrible circumstances that they evolved out of).

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This thread has been full of great discussion so far, lets just make sure we focus on the music rather than the politics.

growler wrote:
    by Reactor
    "have a lot more meaning because you know they're not just playing-up to little knackers who have an inbred hatred to "the fúcking Brits"

so you judge them by their audience rather than the music ? If you had ever been to see the Wolfe Tones you would know that they don't particularly encourage these loons....

I have had the misfortune to attend a Wolfe Tones "concert" - 95% of the audience were "these loons". I hardly think they were playing for the 5% who weren't inserting rythmically bereft paramilitary chants. I think the nature of their music over the past 10 years speaks for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sean1982

I'm quite surprised that everybody has failed to mention the fact that the Wolfe TOnes have made a fortune out of singing these rebel songs. They themselves have experienced nothing of the troubles in the North, yet they sing about them as if they themselves, their brothers and sisters live in constant persecution. They sing these songs not for the cause, or to raise awareness of what they see as the plight of Cathoics and nationalists in the North. Rather, the Wolfe Tones motivation is money!! They make alot of money by singing those songs. And it is just a pity that so many people buy into the whole Wolfe Tones following. The truth is they are being fooled.....their just being sheep!! Baaa!

Wolfe Tones

Advertisement