Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN?

Options
  • 11-05-2001 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

who plays TRIBES 2 ( if it plays for you ).

1) with an ISDN connection ?

2) how does it play compared 2 56k ?

3) does it improve your ping ?

etc... etc... etc...

i need 2 know because i;m fu***** ****** off
    with redjacking + disconections etc... and i;m thinking of getting it even though i said i would never get it ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭[-Morpheus-]

I was playing tribes 2 on a t3 connection in DNC and it was no different from playing from home on my 56k[IOL] because the netcodes are so good smile.gif
    But I do get lagg everyone now and then...

If your into CS then I would go out and get an isdn connection cause pin does matter in that game frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Don't bother. The netcode is so good it shouldn't matter whether you have it or not.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">t3 connection in DNC</font>

eh? you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    Don't bother. The netcode is so good it shouldn't matter whether you have it or not.

</font>

My **** . While the netcode is great in Tribes, there are certain wepaons that are lethal with low pings. Naturally the sniper rifle is one, but the chaingun is a LOT more effective with a low ping. Its also a little easier to hit m/a discs.
    But i will agree that its not essential to have an uber low ping to enjoy the game.

quote:
    Originally posted by Dustaz:

My **** . While the netcode is great in Tribes, there are certain wepaons that are lethal with low pings.

ok......... im not getting in a fight here but i don't agree with u Dustaz biggrin.gif how does your pin affect the sniper rifle? (Its easier to shoot with a low pin: NO! ; Your energy comes back quicker: NO! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yes, its easier to aim with the rifle with a low ping. ditto chaingun.
    Imagine the difference between playing on a lan and playing with a 28.8k modem. with the 28k modem, youll be jerking all over the place, as will your view of your opponont. as you get closer to the lan ping, it gets easier.
    If you dont believe me, log onto an english server and wait till you get chainwhored. check the guys ping. It will be below 100 probably.
    Im not saying that its the be all and end all of an advantage, it just makes a big difference.

[This message has been edited by Dustaz (edited 12-05-2001).]

28.8 k modem HELL YEAH I agree with that but does it make a difference with a 56k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

thanks for the good views..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

yeah , the spinfusor for example is lagged horribly with a hi ping frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

ok I can see I'm going to have to step in here.

First off. Its PING not pin

Second. A lower ping will help you with a laser gun. as when you fire it, the target is going to be closer to where you think he is (is is a lag affect casued by the time it takes data to get from the two peoples comps' to the server)

On a 56k modem to an Irish server, you should get a ping of 130-xxxxms. 130ms being the lowest and xxxxms being bad lag.
    on ISDN I get a ping of 40-120ms (Very rare is it that its over 100ms) on the Irish Gameshop server.

no matter how good a net code is, a ISDN line will always make things better.

as for DNC, dont they have something like a 512kb line?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

lol i don't think morph knows what a t3 is, yea well your right sutty its a 512k line in dnc smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

The game is ok on 56k modem. But if you get into a 1v1 situation you will lose to the Lower ping player if your equally skilled. Also instant hit weapons are much more accurate with ISDN or cable. E.G laser rifle. Up to you but for over all gaming pleasure ISDN is the way to go. The only draw back is the cost.

LonerX

i'm going to get it, since yesrerday i'v been dissconected 5 times and i think i will pay the extra for a better quality line, plus freeing up the house phone..

i had said ( to myself ) that i would never get ISDN but i dont think ASDL will be out until sometime next year.

if i dont think it's that much better i'll go back to 56k, but i have a feeling it will be ..

now the important thing Paying for it smile.gif
    i'm setting up a fund : get Clover ISDN Fund;

please give kindly:

TSB BANK , ACC# 82236454545
    i thank all contribaraters in andvance smile.gif

VacilatoR: lol i don't think morph knows what a t3 is, yea well your right sutty its a 512k line in dnc
    HAR HAR HAR
    I have been in dnc before and there was no difference playing from home except when playing Counter-Strike

oh btw Vac what is better isdn etc.. or t3 tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'm not to sure of this but....Isn't a T3 line called Teir 3 as in everybody in the area uses it, thus it can be slow?

A T1 is a direct connection to the ISP and a T2 is a sheard line between companys.

dont quote me on this one.

Also there is different speeds you can get of them all. 128/256/512/1mg/2mg and so on?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Sorry sutty nope. A t3 is about 20 times as much bandwidth as a t1, which is about 1.47mbit analogue. T3 can be dedicated to just you if you want. DNC does on my hole have even a T1. It has a 512kb leased line from NTL which is perfectly fine for games. But on some days when ppl are leeching in there the ping is no better than a modem. Get isdn. Its much better than modem.
    And dont let this put you off DNC. Their connect is normally hugely better than a modem especially to foreign servers.
    quozl

i rang eircom yesterday as too why i haven;t
    heard anything from them, they said they did not get the order and this is a prob they have been having with people that ordered ISDN on-line.

they said they would put me on the list for ordering it 2 weeks ago and i got a call today saying thell be out next tuesday to
    survey the house smile.gif ..

i hope this improves things , i;m getting bad lag even on the irish servers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

Mmmmmmmmm.. NTL Cable.

Miaow.

Lucy la morte.

www.bt.com/highway

£40 per month for isdn and its free after 6-8 and all weekends [off peak]

just goes to show how bad we have it . frown.gif

• Advertisement

but you can get it here in ireland, Cancerstick has it and so do a few others...i want it & I need it

you can get it here? confused.gif
    no call charges off peak ? confused.gif
    are you sure ? confused.gif

as you may have noticed i;m easily confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

You can get cable and adsl(I think) over here, but only in certain areas. Like tallaght.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

wow yeh!!! just got my isdn installed today smile.gif .
    connected for the first time and in a sec i was conected, pages seem to load up faster
    even just on 64k , now to see what tribes plays like. smile.gif

cool.gif
    What isp are you on?

cool.gif
    What isp are you on?

i'm with eircom , i opened up an account with them and set it up for isdn (64k).

i played some tribes , CS + TF and i had sub 100 in all , which is a big diff from 300+ i was getting befor.

i pinged tribes servers iol , barrys world etc @ around 45 - 85 .. smile.gif

thanks [-Morpheus-], i'll try and get a buynsell CD and give that a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Clover:
    how do you combine the 2 isdn channles to get 128k? , i'm going to set up an account for 128k with either utv or buynsell..

thanks .
    </font>
    If using win9x, right click on the dialup you want to use and select properties. Go to the Multilink tab, pick use additional devices, then add the other channel.

• Advertisement

how do you combine the 2 isdn channles to get 128k? , i'm going to set up an account for 128k with either utv or buynsell..

thanks .

Advertisement