Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juice Broadband...Scam?

• 14-08-2004 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

[HTML]http://www.juiceboosted.com/index.php[/HTML]

Came across this on E-bay.
    Increases a normal dial up connection to broadband speed?
    It sounds too good to be true.
    Has anyone else heard about it or can they verify if this is a scam of some sort.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thats because it is to good to be to
    The only way it could increase your connection is if it cached webpages in the background but in reality they will only seem faster they won't ACTUALLY be faster because they will have been just cached.

Couldn't look at there site because every link keeps bringing me back to the main page
    using Mozilla...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

1. Look at the affiliates page, they promise you money for referrals, the earlier you join the more money you get, be at the top of the money tree & blah-blah...

2. Look at the amount of times they write FREE with caps on, and repeat the same statement over & over without backing it properly... compression?? Yeah right, if that was so easy someone else would have done it already. There are very little secrets in today's network world, and they certainly don'T hold the biggest of all...

3. You and I have never heard of this company before. And they, whoever "they" are, want to do a worldwide roll-out in October? 80 million users??? Get real.

Any web page promising money for nothing, free internet access, revolutionary speeds and all this world-wide within 2 (!) months has to be a scam.

Father Christmas & Easter Bunny, next! :rolleyes:

- pyxxel -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

On several board I visit frequently there was a user that just registered, posted about how amazing this product was and left. It just made the product some much more unbelivable.

BTW: There is a company that uses very high compression rates to increase the speed that web pages load, but it obviously can't increase your download speeds. The way it work is that every web page you visit is first directed through their servers were it was compressed and sent to, then a program they supply you with uncompresses it and displays it. But after looking at the sample pics the compression made the images look terrible and unusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I was pestered by someone on a chat room telling me to sign up to this NOW. He said in October they will start charging for it. Sounded rubbish!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Skyuser wrote:
    I was pestered by someone on a chat room telling me to sign up to this NOW. He said in October they will start charging for it. Sounded rubbish!!

Quick lads we better all sign up before October then! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

well, i cant even seem to get anything other than their main page, so that in itself also says scam. Still, i tihnk i'll be signing up :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Arcadegame2004 is their Irish agent, PM him for details :D

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

do the same for me pm me the details

Ciaran500 wrote:

<SNIP>
    BTW: There is a company that uses very high compression rates to increase the speed that web pages load, but it obviously can't increase your download speeds. The way it work is that every web page you visit is first directed through their servers were it was compressed and sent to, then a program they supply you with uncompresses it and displays it. But after looking at the sample pics the compression made the images look terrible and unusable.

Well actually on newer browsers there IS a decompression module builtin. The apache webserver has a module called MOD_GZIP. This compresses content before sending it to the client. This speeds up transfers at the expense of CPU time on the server and client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Skyuser wrote:
    How is your .sig still being displayed? - it's HUGE, usually a script will remove any huge sigs....it will be gone soon that's for sure :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

Its fairly likely that this supposed 4 times faster than broadband service is nothing of the sort, however, its free to sign-up and as long as they don't ask for any money i don't see the problem in joining just to see what comes of it.

The cynical among us will wonder whether this software that you must download is riddled with ad-ware and spy-ware. Also who's to say that Juice don't use your email address, now or in the future to Spam you with offers of complete rubbish that seems to take over our inboxes.

For an Internet entrepreneur its like winning the lotto if he can get his hands on millions of e-mail addresses to send out his dubious offers so i'll be checking this BROADBAND offer out with my Junk email address to see if this REVOLUTIONARY Technology is what it says on the tin.

I won't hold my breath although i do expect to receive emails from my various new internet friends based in all corners of the world offering me everything from the latest diet pill and how to make a trillion dollars in 2 days or your money back.

No harm in it though. I'll have a look, sign-up and check my overflowing Junk e-mail account in October to see if they have sent me the software. If it is a SCAM which i'm 99% certain it is i haven't lost an arm or anything and its not the end of the world so i'll stick with my UTV Broadband until i can get the oul' wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Manufan is right, this is merely to harvest email addresses. If you're gullable enough to sign up for this then you might just be gullable enough to buy the stuff their affiliates that they sell the email addresses to fill your inbox with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

one born every minute....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

Like i said, I have an e-mail address for my Junk e-mail. My main e-mail account has been Spam free since i set it up 4 months ago. The point being, if these guys are harvesting e-mail addresses which is highly likely they can Spam my Junk mail account all they like. Its not a problem.

This so called Revolutionary Software is most likely Revolutionising the way these guys collect email addresses and Download Spyware to your Computer and unfortunately a lot of people don't have a clue how to keep their Computer Safe from this type of Rubbish.

Most people who Sign-up for this offer are not Gullable. We know its a long shot but if you use your head and keep your Computer Safe and nothing comes of it who cares. Skepticism is healty but i wouldn't completely dismiss it out of hand unless they ask me for any money. Sure, we'll se what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's a scam. I'd advise everyone to stear clear.

Locking the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement