Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaky Spam

• 14-08-2004 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I received what I think is a very sneaky spam text yesterday. Basically it says

"Someone fancies you... text the word LOVE to <the premium number> to see if the person you fancy, fancies YOU too!!SP:PIMS Eur 2x3"

What is particularly sneaky about this text is that it makes it seem as if the text was sent to you individually i.e. someone fancies you and encourages you to text in to see who fancies you when it's merely a ploy to get YOU to send the message to someone else.

This Service Provider PIMS ltd. I tried to contact several times with no success on their number given on the text. Also, I just saw the spam text sticky and the premium rate number isn't even registered to PIMS, it's Zamano so I wonder if that is a breach in itself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

if ur on o2 check the site they'll ave a no. u can fwd the text 2
    they're trying to cut down on unsolicited spam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Check the thread above - " SMS Spam - what to do? "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭jonathanbuc

blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Thanks for the pointers everyone. To be honest, most of the spam doesn't annoy me too much as I don't get a lot of it. This one I wanted to comment on as it's not only spam (bad enough by itself), but the way it's phrased is very underhanded.

I had looked at the spam sticky before posting and it's got good pointers.

Advertisement