Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with Tribes 2, plz

Options
  • 02-06-2001 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I am just after forking out £35 for T2 and it won't bloody work. The game installs and all and shorty after I start playing a solo game it locks up and reports a General Protection like fault.

My system is above the recommended spec
    PIII 700MHz
    128Mb RAM
    7GB free on the HD
    Nvidia TNT 2 (32Mb)

I read the trouble shooting guide and it said there would be a problem with the TNT 2 on a NT system, but I'm running 98SE. I know my hardware is sufficient because when the game is moving (after I launch the game from the in game menu), it is very smooth with what appears to be a decent frame rate
    (@ 1024x768 resolution, 32bit colour)

Does anyone know how I can go about fixing this. I have tried everything from freeing up as much system resources as I can for the game (nothing else is running concurrently). To dropping the in game detail (resolution, colour depth, etc)

When the game freezes, I can't even return to windows, I have to restart the system. It always seems to crash at exactly the same point each time.

Any help would be appreciated...

:-phobos-(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Install the lastest patch.
    Start a online game and it should be do automatically for u.

Otherwise get the patchs from barrysworld or somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

did you update the game yet ? if not uninstall tribes 2, re-install then update ( launch a on-line game ) it will do the rest for you.

if i'm wrong i'm sure someone will point it out , but most of us had probs at first and the updates sorted it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Still FUBAR :-(

I started an online game and downloaded the updates (there was 2, one was 500k and the other 3.4MB). They installed OK and seemed to patch the graphics, I did not have any flickering around the screen @ high res.

But when I was about to start in the online game, the error message was:

Unhandled Exception @ some memory address etc
    and it gave me the option "OK" which let me dismiss the window and close the game. This time I was able to return to windows without a restart. But as you can see it still seems to be fuking up.

Has anyone else seen this kind of problem, considering my machine specs?

I also heard from Kharn that this game is full of bugs, but I would assume that the game patches would sort all that out.

Still in despair, thanx for the help so far guys ;-)

Do a search for *.dso files in your tribes2 directory and delete them all, dont worry they get recompiled again.

Still nothing,

I tried deleting all the *.dso files from the Tribes2 sub directories and still nothing. This time I have the specifics

This time I loaded up the game and went in to the first training mission. It loads the mission, game objects, lighting and then enters the game and I am standing on some kind of hovercraft. There is a woman briefing me on the surrounding environment. Then I see this Alien Type guy and he shoots missiles in to the air at a craft passing overhead. The game then switches back to my view and it is here that the game crashes.

It says:
    Unhandled Exception @ Address 69549598

When I dismiss this window it returns to windows and the entire screen turns black. From here I have to do Ctrl+Alt+Del to shut the game down. That works, but in the process generates an Invalid page fault in module NVOPENGL.dll

This is really ****ing me off, because the game seems so stable while it is working and then out of the blue tries to do something that causes these exceptions to be throwm.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you've tried it, but if not get the lastest video drivers.
    The other thing is what sound card do u have ?

I have the latest drivers from Nvidia. I just installed them a few days ago because I did a fresh reinstall of my OS on the Hard Disk.

My sound card is:
    Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128D

Actually now that you mention sound, just after I select join/start a new game, it starts to do the loading mission/objects/lighting thing. While it is doing that the sound "flickers" if you can imagine. Now I rule that down to the system being busy, but come on, with 128MB of RAM it should not do that. Even though T2 recommends 128MB, there is a chance.

Thanx for all the help so far mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I remember there being a problem with certain SB cards. Try disabling your card in the hardware profiles (don't remove, just disable) then reboot and start up tribes. At least see if that is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭[-Morpheus-]

When i got the game i got unhandled exception cause i only had a 8mb gcard and d3d wasn't turned on. I had to go into the games folder then client prefs and enable it myself and then it worked. Oh i was so happy cause i was waiting for the game for 3months before biggrin.gif

Guys,

Thanx Morpheus that seems to work. I should have guessed it had something to do with OpenGL. Since the invalid page fault occured in an OpenGL dll file. I switched to D3D and all works fine.

I have to admit it is not a very fast paced game. It seems to be running smooth on my system, but is there any console commands like in Quake 3 that I could use to speed things up a bit. The game handles like I'm floating around in space out of control.

Anyway, thanx to everyone, I appreciate your help. I'm sure you all know how frustrating it is to have a game you always wanted but can't play it because of something stupid.

Hope to return the favour soon

:-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Few thought we lost a t2 player there.

WE NEED YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif

Advertisement