Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTU: What to do?

• 15-08-2004 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I got a DG834G this week. Very easy setup, and a very nice interface to it, easy to do all sorts of stuff.

However...

I had problems FTPing stuff up to websites. I did a little research and found a recommendation to up the MTU on the routher to 1500 (default was 1492) which I did, thereby fixing my FTP problems. Oh, btw, I also set the MTU on my wireless NIC (WG311) to 1500 after doing some tweak tests with the optimizer at www.speedguide.net . So, all seemed well, but there are some sites that I can;t open. Typically, one of them is the support server for NetGear! If I reset the MTU on the router to 1492 it does work...

So... 1492 seems best for the net, but what can I do to get FTPing working ok? What am I missing here? :)

Thanks,

AT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Hmmm, may have answered my own question already...

I reset the router to 1492, then forced my NIC to 1492, and now FTP seems to be working fine. Not sure what the default was on the NIC now. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I reset the router to 1492, then forced my NIC to 1492, and now FTP seems to be working fine. Not sure what the default was on the NIC now. :confused:

MTU 1500 is the default for ethernet connections, either wired or wireless. 1492 is generally the maximum for PPPoE xDSL connections.

It should be possible to run your internal network at 1500, and set the router's WAN port (i.e. DSL connection) to 1492 - that's how my network operates. Maybe the Netgear can't handle this, though. If you've got a working setup, stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

It should be possible to run your internal network at 1500, and set the router's WAN port (i.e. DSL connection) to 1492
    Then you'd end up sending 2 "internet" packets for every packet originating from the lan.

I.e. Packet 1 reaches the router, and then gets split into 2 packets, one of size 1492, and one of size 8. This isn't a good thing. Better off running the whole thing as 1492, which you seem to be doing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Yeah, everything is going perfectly now with it all at 1492. :)

When I set the router to 1500 originally, FTP began working, but some web pages wouldn't work. Not likely to be a problem with the router, but more likely to be whatever is at the other end not liking splitting the packets, as the majority worked fine. The default on the router was 1492 to begin with, but as I said, I didn't know what the NIC was set to, so using the Optimizer tool from SG I set it to 1492 and all was well with the universe.

/me is happy again

Advertisement