Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl cable PHATband has landed in Dublin 15!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

roselawn recentyl had it's cable replaced if i remember correctly. My road did at least..this was just before NTL took over cablelink... So we're probably as good as a new estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I live in Huntstown and my ntl account says I can only get Basic and Digital TV. :(

It's been a few years since the roads were dug up so I doubt I'll be getting it anytime soon. It's a pity because my 12 month contract ends with iolbb this month and I was hoping to jump ship straight away. NTL was the only decent option.

NTL - IF YOU WANT MY MONEY, I'M IN HUNTSTOWN WAITING FOR YOU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The promised me that they'd have my area cabled 2 years ago. they have the area opposite me cabled, they have the area 5 mins down the road cabled, but not my area, and no plans it seems.

totally off topic, but i used to live in huntstown lawn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Rang them too - they said I cant get it but they are rolling out 10000 houses a month and can't really give me a time.. this sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Anybody down Castlefield way no anything ???

be most interested in ditching utv asap ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Roselawn Road was FOREVER being dug up prior to its resurfacing year or so ago. I'd say NTL put down new cable there before the resurfacing. I guess some good came of all that digging, eventually (it was a nightmare at the time - every 2 months or so some company or other was digging up some part of the road!). When they were "upgrading" on Roselawn, it really was very little work - just fiddling around in the boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

daymobrew wrote:
    I spoke with Paul Malone who checked the maps and said that the cable Riverwood would need to be relaid to support cable broadband. He said that it was old cable from the Cablelink days. He explained that new estates only needed a little bit of work to enable them, which would explain why Ongar is enabled but doesn't explain why Roselawn appears to be getting worked on.
    Roselawn is much older than Riverwood, which is 6 years old at the most.

I'm quite down over this - I was really thinking ntl: would come back with an 'all go', considering the young age of my estate, but it seems we're a little black hole. Back to square one, writing to Minister Ahern, Phil Nolan and anyone else who might listen.

That is really bad news I am in Woodbrook so fingers crossed this uses a different cable especially as it is a brand new complex, what do ya think DAYMOBREW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Colly - I know that Woodbrook can't get DSL, because it is too far from the exchange. I think you are a Clonee exchange!!

I would guess that you are on an extension of the same poor cable that Riverwood is on, but keeping the phone exchange in mind, you could be on a completely different cable and be lucky.

Try ring head office and look for Paul Malone. Don't say I sent you :D
    If you have no luck there I could probably drop into the office and ask to see him and get an answer.

daymobrew wrote:
    you could be on a completely different cable and be lucky.

Try ring head office and look for Paul Malone. Don't say I sent you :D
    If you have no luck there I could probably drop into the office and ask to see him and get an answer.

Thanks daymobrew for the quick response, is'nt it awful the state that all broadband companies are in in Ireland at the moment. You nearly have to prostitute yourself to get it and then pay for it after all the hard work. I called NTL yesterday the office sounded mad busy in the background so I said this jokingly and she said yeah "ah sure ur all great ringing in and enquiring about it then she said they havent it available to woodbrook yet and couldnt say if it would ever be or a time line" I guess I will have to ring ur man (sources wont be uttered) or wait for the letter to come through the mail box. I don't want to go with DSL as I havent a phone line nor do i want one as it incurs a huge line rental. So cable is my only option right now especially being in an apt block. No sat/aerials allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

@Colly - Hello neighbour! I live in Woodbrook too and am in much the same position as yourself. Have strongly resisted the temptation of getting the phone line installed even though I would dearly love to have some form of broadband connection. Despite the bad news concering the Riverwood estate, I would still be pretty hopeful considering the relative youth of the development. I guess it's just a waiting game at the moment. NTL as you know from calling them (been there already) don't give much away over the phone. Irish Broadband are, according to their sales dept., looking to deploy Ripwave over the next few months from a high site in Clonsilla. This could also be an option but who wouldn't love the 1.5Mb connection from NTL instead! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah Daymo
    I called NTL there again (hounding them) and they said the cable is just a one way cable so it would need to be relaid with a new cable (ie dig up the round) to lay a 2way cable for upload and download. Once again they have no idea when they will do this but it won't be anytime soon so I am thinking now of getting a phone line. Someone must have an idea of when they are going to upgrade the riverwood road, anyone? I am presuming as they will have to relay it would be put on the long finger and they will only do the easier areas which have good cable down already. But seen as they are upgrading the D15 area I am hoping they have a pattern sweeping across the whole region and don't skip over badly cabled areas. But Eircom are doing this as they say sorry u cant have it and move on. Does anyone know what strategy NTL are using to upgrade areas is it just the good areas they install in or are the upgrading the whole areas at once, including digging up roads and relaying cable. I hope the are relaying daymo as the Riverwood road is a high concentration(All semi d houses, fernleigh, annfield, Woodbrook, another apt bloke to go in two so in the space of 1-2 km of cable relaying they have a huge amt of customer return of young internet friendly clients.

Man that sounded like a sales pitch I hope NTL keep an eye on this board and say yeah he is right start up the lorry with the cable in the back.

Haruspex wrote:
    @Colly - Hello neighbour! I live in Woodbrook too and am in much the same position as yourself. Irish Broadband are, according to their sales dept., looking to deploy Ripwave over the next few months from a high site in Clonsilla. This could also be an option but who wouldn't love the 1.5Mb connection from NTL instead!

Howdie neighbour to u just posted another entry have a read. See u on the boards over thhe next while as u say it maybe a waiting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Colly - don't get a phone line until you know that Woodbrook can get DSL. I think I had a friend there test his line and, IIRC it failed. So, save yourself the money and disappointment and check someone else first. (I'm not attacking you at all, sorry if the tone sounds like that).

ntl is only coming out of bankrupcy so will probably only enable areas that are simple - understandable business reasons. Since Riverwood/Woodbrook require cable relaying, don't expect any cable-bearing truck on Riverwood Road for a good while.

On a more positive note: BT UK has reduced the allowable db loss on phone lines to be eligible for DSL:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/18/bt_extended_adsl/
    My phone line would be grand in their eyes. Hopefully eircom follow suit.
    They tested the new limits in Milton Keyenes in London and in the Scottish Highlands!! If it works in the rain-sodden highlands it should be able to work in Riverwood/Woodbrook.

daymobrew wrote:
    Colly - don't get a phone line until you know that Woodbrook can get DSL. I think I had a friend there test his line and, IIRC it failed. So, save yourself the money and disappointment and check someone else first. (I'm not attacking you at all, sorry if the tone sounds like that).

ntl is only coming out of bankrupcy so will probably only enable areas that are simple - understandable business reasons. Since Riverwood/Woodbrook require cable relaying, don't expect any cable-bearing truck on Riverwood Road for a good while.

On a more positive note: BT UK has reduced the allowable db loss on phone lines to be eligible for DSL:
    If it works in the rain-sodden highlands it should be able to work in Riverwood/Woodbrook.

Didnt pick up that tone at all daymo, yeah looks like I am going to have to wait for a couple yrs and keep an eye out for alternatives, ah well the blanch center library isnt too far away I can hope on me bike and use the web down there. From reading these boards the situations of getting BB and not can change over night so with mnost things in life I am staying positive, ( God that sounds real yeah man peace) will keep ye posted.

Anybody down Castlefield way no anything ???

be most interested in ditching utv asap ...

Rang them today and said YES - will be available in the coming months - also asked about having to take the tv service also...

they said that the tv service will be FREE for 1 year if you with their
    broadband service (it costs 18yoyos a month for the basic tv service)

Now - anybody know how to get out of contract with UTV - did I read somewhere else that you can pay them €150 to break contract ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Rang them today and said YES - will be available in the coming months
    As a matter of interest is Castlefield a relatively new estate? Close to Ongar?

Now - anybody know how to get out of contract with UTV - did I read somewhere else that you can pay them €150 to break contract ????

You have to buy them out of the remaining period on your contract. So if, say, 6 months remain, it'll be 6 x your monthly fee (€30?) which would be €180. I think I mentioned that in my own situation, if I pulled out at Christmas it'd cost me €150, since I'd have five months left on my contract. It's a pain in the ass, but unfortunately, Eircom force these charges, so UTV has no choice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Post some pings!!

I presume they are the usual high standard (low pings) that ntl supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

Just spoke to sales and told them that I was considering getting NTL reconnected but only when Broadband is available to me.
    They told me it would be another 6months before Bray is upgraded (I reckon that probably means 2 years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

LookingFor wrote:
    You have to buy them out of the remaining period on your contract. So if, say, 6 months remain, it'll be 6 x your monthly fee (€30?) which would be €180. I think I mentioned that in my own situation, if I pulled out at Christmas it'd cost me €150, since I'd have five months left on my contract. It's a pain in the ass, but unfortunately, Eircom force these charges, so UTV has no choice.

What is the point in that? You are paying the same as if you had it connected so why not keep it until the end of the contract.

• Advertisement

John R wrote:
    What is the point in that? You are paying the same as if you had it connected so why not keep it until the end of the contract.

Very little point I guess. If you're willing to pay that amount, I suppose you might aswell keep your DSL connection, and hook up your NTL cable alongside it. Handy for those times when the cable might be down, or if you have a second PC that could use the DSL connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulyx

Lads pm me your address I will let you know if available

Haruspex wrote:
    As a matter of interest is Castlefield a relatively new estate? Close to Ongar?

Down the road from you turn at the train station and in on the right off Clonsilla Road...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

seamus wrote:
    Well, we'll leave fibre optical out for the moment. Currently the speed at which one can transmit over fibre is limited by the receiving technology - i.e. how quickly we can convert the light into electronic impulses. We don't really know the theoretical limit.
    AFAIK. :)

At the moment they've gotten up to 15TB/sec (off topic) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Ive got NTL broadband too (only the crappy starter pack), anyway do you know if you can use xbox live with it or do you need to get a faster connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

paulyx wrote:
    Lads pm me your address I will let you know if available

someone working for ntl on ere?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

TV has been on and off all day here in Hartstown......I wonder are they plugging and playing with some new bits to give us BB?!!

(wishful thinking I know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Got a letter on Friday saying NTL broadband was available. This happened before and when I rang with my account number they said it wasn't. That time and this time I checked online with the online checker and it didn't show broadband as an option. So I wasn't too hopeful this time. However when I eventually got through, today, I was told I can get it!!! But I'll hold off celebrating till I'm online with it. Been so close before. Gave all my details and it should be here in 2 weeks. I'm in D.15 - Riverwood, house built about 4 yrs old and Eircom land line fails the test because its too far from the exchange.

Hope that is useful to someone else in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

Have been trying to get BB for the last 12 months. Finally I received the same letter from NTL last Monday saying BB was available - rang up and ordered 1.5Mbps and apparently they are coming tomorrow to connect me up. Living in Luttrellstown Way, so NTL definitely seem to be making their way around Dublin 15.

Advertisement