Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl cable PHATband has landed in Dublin 15!!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

DUblin 15 pff might as well be in space, what about dublin bloody 1 :D , only joking grats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

I had NTL at the house for a basic service connection. The fella looked at the cables and said they were fine for broadband. He rang up the office and they said they were waiting for a 'return line amplifier' to install. Maybe 1 or 2 months! This was in Park Drive, Castleknock. This estate is ~10 years old. The cable is the type that goes from the front center of each 2 semi-d houses.

LK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yeah hopefully it will reach hartstown soon too.. I was gettin worried that it was only the new estates of dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

Well....was due to have NTL BB installed yesterday - guy came out to install but told me the signal strength was < -15db (Mine was -24db, -15db apparently being the minimum). He called it in as a failed install and now I have to wait for the engineering crews to come out and install a signal amplifier in the street.

When I called this morning to talk to customer service I decided to have a chat with NTL sales first. Spoke to a sales rep - explained what the problem was and before I'd even told him where I was calling from he guessed it was Dublin 15. Apparently lots of similar problems with signal strength in the area.

Customer Service guy told me that "when the engineers fix the problem we'll contact you again to see if you're still intersted in BB"......What I want to know is why NTL didn't come out here and check the signal stregth before sending the Installation guy / or before sending out leaflets telling everyone its available in the area?? Seems a bit like putting the cart before the horse......Oh well!! Back to Dialup (Since my Eircom line also "Fails".)

Goldfish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Just rang up NTL to ask about getting BB. They said it wouldn't be available for another 6-8 weeks!!! I'm living in St.Mochta's housing estate, which is the estate behind the Spar/Molloy's Off Licence on the Clonsilla Road. Has anybody living in the estate or near there got NTL BB yet? I'm probably going to go for the Broadband Max (1.5mb) option. Does anybody know what modem you get with NTL? Does it have a firewall built in? How many ethernet ports if any? etc, etc:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

Its an unbranded Ambit Cable modem - 1 USB and 1 Ethernet - so fine for setting up wireless Network etc..No inbuilt firewall as far as I am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

goldfish wrote:
    Its an unbranded Ambit Cable modem - 1 USB and 1 Ethernet - so fine for setting up wireless Network etc..No inbuilt firewall as far as I am aware.
    There's firewalls and there's firewalls. If the router provides NAT (your PCs use a 192.168 IP address, whereas the "real" IP address that the modmem uses is something different), then you have a pretty effective inbound firewall that will protect you from any worms that are constantly scanning for vulnerable windows and linux machines to invade.

(Some routers have additional facilities that support logging and content filtering and a range of other services that most people don't need, but a basic NAT "firewall" should be a bare minimum for anytone getting broadband).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the 1.5mbps package here in Riverwood for about 3 weeks now. Love it. Zero problems with it.

I bought the Linksys Wireless Access Point Router w/ 4-Port Switch 802.11g.
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE878707&productID=86320
    I got it for 98 euro but it recently dropped to 80 euro.
    Built in NAT and firewall. For security I turned off the SSID broadcast, renamed the wireless network and enabled WEP (maybe I should be using WPA).
    It's great. I've had no problems with it, and VPN to work worked without having to change anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:41:35 UTC
    1st 128K took 15 ms = 8738133 Bytes/sec = approx 72701 kbits/sec
    2nd 128K took 16 ms = 8192000 Bytes/sec = approx 68157 kbits/sec
    3rd 128K took 16 ms = 8192000 Bytes/sec = approx 68157 kbits/sec
    4th 128K took 15 ms = 8738133 Bytes/sec = approx 72701 kbits/sec

Advertisement