Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 Are You Finding It Hard

Options
  • 15-08-2004 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what difficulty everyone is playing the game on. I cant do Nightmare as i guess you have to clear it before that option opens. So im playing on Veteran and im finding the progress slow. Im still on Labs Level 2.

So how is everyone else getting on ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Not really but then I wasn't waiting for it as much as a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

How does your anticipation affect how hard a game is to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im playing it on the easiest lvl (recruit) as Im really only playing for the loverly graphics and for a bit of fun, and as the name suggests....its easy on recruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Its too easy really, even on Veteren its not too hard, albiet on Nightmare its impossable more or less, your health drains constantly until it gets down to 25, so you pretty much have to finish the game on 25hp, which I cant imagne being too easy at all. Cant say I really tried though, just saw 25hp and though 'feck this', heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Playing on veteran no point playing it on easy , most games have little replayabilty. This may ahve with speed runs but not much else.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Playing on the middle skill, whatever that is. Not too difficult - but I look forward to playing it again on hard mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Its just slow going for me. As now i find i can play it for a max of 1hour then i have to say stop. Just try playing it at 12 at night its so scary.

Also anyone play it on lan ?
    I was playing it last night with my brother and picking up the skull is just cool. The sounds that you make after getting the skull and running at 2twice the speed as norm is sweet. Have the say the sounds make this game and makes it scary at that.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I hate that when you have to play true a game on lower difficulty level to unlock the hardest difficulty levels just stupid. You already have played through the game why would you want to play through it again soon afterwards. I mean I reckon the majority of players who clear a game don't bother playing through it again. Those that do it may do it several months down the road and by then they may have uninstalled/reinstalled the game and lost the option of playing on the harding difficulity.

Asides I think alot of game designer think its like a reward.Really wish the lazy bugger would throw in some decent bonus material with there games.

Azza wrote:
    I hate that when you have to play true a game on lower difficulty level to unlock the hardest difficulty levels just stupid. You already have played through the game why would you want to play through it again soon afterwards. I mean I reckon the majority of players who clear a game don't bother playing through it again. Those that do it may do it several months down the road and by then they may have uninstalled/reinstalled the game and lost the option of playing on the harding difficulity.

Asides I think alot of game designer think its like a reward.Really wish the lazy bugger would throw in some decent bonus material with there games.
    `

uh huh ,i wont play it again so play on hard to get the most out of it.

Although original Doom had 6 extra levels wonder if thsi one has , wont read a guide :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

KdjaC wrote:
    Although original Doom had 6 extra levels wonder if thsi one has , wont read a guide :)

kdjac

Okay, you're going to have to elaborate there. I always though the original doom had 3 episodes with 8 levels and 1 hidden level each. Where do the 6 extra levels come in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

I played it through on Marine, was fairly easy, playing it on Nightmare now, I wouldnt call it hard, you just basically have to kill everything before it gets a chance to hit you, sometimes you get stuck because its almost impossible to do that and have to find creative ways to win (like the first time you see the dog thing). I wish I had played it on Nightmare firstly, its a lot more scary when you know that one hit from most enemies will kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm on Alpha Labs level 2, and I'm down to handgun ammo.... I might have to backtrack to an earlier save and be more careful with my ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

iv got ammo come out my ears for the machine gun loads of hand grenades (haven’t used one yet) and a fair bit of pistol ammo.....shotgun ammo is a harder to come by never get above 40 shells

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

bizmark: what difficulty level?

I'm playing it on recruit (cos i'm crap), and i have over 100 shotgun rounds, about 300 SMG rounds, 90 chaingun rounds and about 100 pistol rounds and a handful of grenades. (alpha labs too - got the chaingun from the martianbuddy cabinet :))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Just one above yourself couldnt be arsed playing it at the hardest level :cool: i guess my lack of shotgun ammo comes from the fact i use it on every thing that moves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im in Alpa Labs 3 now and i have lots and lots of ammo. The only gun i dont have much ammo for is the pistol. As i try and use the pistol ammo alot when shooting crap or easy to kill monsters.

One thing about the game im finding i do alot is looking up at the ceiling or running into a room and running back out as fast as i can and let the monsters chase me. Or as you go along always looking behind me. Infact im starting to do that in real life also this game is getting to me so much. You just never know whats behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Playing on easiest setting. Too easy imo. I've only died once and that was because I fell off a platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Playing on easiest setting. Too easy imo.
    Oxymoron. You might as well get the best from the game by playing at the highest level you can get through at. That's what I'll be doing when I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I just tried nightmare......have to say don't really find it fun! Think it must be an id joke!!!! :D

Doom3 is not the most difficult game. ( Think System Shock 2 nearly drove me to madness!!!).

Think i got thru it without dying once or having to use one of my fully ammoed saves....actually that's a lie...got killed by one of the big bosses before i realised how to kill him. But the baddies just have to many easily recognised routines that make them very easy to pick off.

p

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Oxymoron. You might as well get the best from the game by playing at the highest level you can get through at. That's what I'll be doing when I get it.

As will I once my new comp and copy of D3 arrives hopefully some time next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I dont play games for frustration so I almost always go for the middle level and in this case too. It's more scary than difficult but on medium difficulty I can enjoy the experience with a bit of a challenge. I will never understand peeps who want to run through a game like this a second time on some ridiculous difficulty. I'm moving onto the next game by then or playing it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tbh, the only difficutly I've found in the game is when your swamped by demons and the lag....oh, the lag. Just keep clicking and hope you get out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

musician wrote:
    I will never understand peeps who want to run through a game like this a second time on some ridiculous difficulty. I'm moving onto the next game by then or playing it online.

It depends on the game. With Doom 3, I'd agree, don't think I'll be replaying it (it's good and all, but you have to admit it's repetitive).

I've replayed SW KOTOR and AVP2 in the last 2 or 3 weeks and enjoyed it plenty :)

Tbh, the only difficutly I've found in the game is when your swamped by demons and the lag....oh, the lag. Just keep clicking and hope you get out ok.

Umm jim swipe from imp on easy takes about 6 HP on medium about 20 and on hard about 40. Dunno about nightmare. But playing it on easy will make it easy umm its given away in the EASY part.

About the ammo i find i have a lot of chaingun ammo and lose shotgun ammo quickly as its my weaon of choice have started to use grenades and rockets for certain enemies (those on Alpha labs stock up on grenades and rockets you gonna need them :) ) .

Game is cleverly made towards using certain weapons at certain stages thus depriving you off the most effective weapon when you need vs a boss. Although i try not to use what is best at the time to conserve ammo i still find when i take out plasma gun it doesnt go back till its empty and then 5 sgt slaughters come running at me and i need it most.

kdjac

Advertisement