Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess the Amercian actor who robbed the Irish bank?!

• 15-08-2004 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The money has since been returned but its still fun to speculate! :)
    US actor linked to Dublin bank theft

by James McDonald

GARDAI want to question a Hollywood star in connection with a €2m bank fraud in Dublin.

The Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation (GBFI) said the actor, who is believed to be in financial difficulties, has been linked to the illegal transfer of funds from an investment bank on St Stephen’s Green last year.

Gardai and the FBI came across the actor’s name after tracing the route of the missing money to an American bank account.

The actor, who is one of the signatories on the account, will be asked to explain to the Irish authorities how the money was transferred.

The fraud, which took place last Christmas, became a transatlantic paper trail for gardai when the money was re-routed from Dublin to Spain, eastern Europe and North Africa, before ending up in the American account.

On Christmas Eve 2003, just more than €2m was stolen from a client’s investment account at Bank National de Paris Paribas (BNP Paribas), on St Stephen’s Green in Dublin’s city centre.

A well-informed source said: “The people behind this had the codes to hack into the account. With that sort of inside information, the job was easily done. The money was transferred around the world and then bounced into an account in the US.”

BNP Paribas, one of the top five European commercial banking groups, confirmed that an issue arose with a client’s account but the money has since been refunded.

One bank source said: “The money was given back in full. The gardai are investigating and are at an advanced stage.”

My guess is Robert Downey Jnr, as he's always short of cash. Allegedly :D

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Errr do you really think its wise to name the actor here, or guess his/her name. Ever here of deflamation of character !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

but the papers do it all the time. He didnt say "its Robert Downey Jnr", he said "My Guess is RDJ" surely there a difference, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gandalf wrote:
    Errr do you really think its wise to name the actor here, or guess his/her name. Ever here of deflamation of character !!!

Allegedly covers all angles! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

mike65 wrote:
    Allegedly covers all angles! ;)

Mike.

Do you really want to test that :rolleyes:

As Stekelly noticed I guessed rather than stating as a fact which I cant as I dont know for sure or at all!

Mike.

/me off to consult someone from "Sue Grabbit and Run".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

You guys are well wide of the mark.

It was obviously Elvis. He needs the money for his comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I reckon it definetly wasn't David Soul or perhaps not William Shatner either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I reckon it wasn't Tom Sizemore either, who is recently in financial difficulties and been charged for other crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Could it have been Winona Ryder? :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

"had the codes to hack"

So, if I have my mate's boards.ie password, and I log in as him, I'm a hacker? Cool.

Oh, and I don't possibly think it could have been Tom Selleck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Well it's definitely not Don Johnson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

0utshined wrote:

Are u sure, Ireland AM are saying it was him.

What are a TV cop's chances in Jail????
    :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

0utshined wrote:
    No it certainly isn't and this story certainly isn't in today's Irish Independent :
    DON JOHNSON, the star of hit TV show 'Miami Vice', is being investigated in connection with a €2m bank fraud in Dublin.

The actor, best known for his portrayal of detective Sonny Crockett in the iconic 1980s cop show, has been linked with the fraud after his name was found by investigators probing the route of the missing money.

The investigation began after it emerged that some €1.9m had been siphoned from a series of linked deposit accounts at the Dublin branch of Banque Nationale de Paris Paribas (BNP Paribas), which is based at St George's Dock at the city's Irish Financial Services Centre.

And a detailed probe involving the National Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation (GBFI) and several other police forces, including the FBI in the US, has been following the money trail which was traced to an American bank account.

It is believed that the actor, who is in dire financial straits and has declared bankruptcy in the US, is one of the signatories on the account and he is set to be questioned about how the money was transferred.

It is understood that money had been deposited in accounts belonging to an American investment company at the bank's IFSC branch.

The €1.9m was moved initially to accounts in financial institutions in Spain, Latvia, and Tunisia but was then transferred again to other countries.

The cash in Spain was discovered to have been switched to accounts in Lucerne in Switzerland, the independent state of San Marino in Italy, and to Los Angeles in the US.

Inquiries have established that the money was taken out of the accounts here during the Christmas break.

The initial transfer of funds took place on St Stephen's day and the money was then switched to the other accounts on December 30.

Gardai believe the bank scam was a straightforward fraud involving a breach of the bank's internal computer security system.

The company, which invests funds on behalf of corporate customers, does not deal with the public.

However, as a result of criminal use of a confidential security code, the money was transferred to other accounts held overseas.

It is believed the security breach did not take place in Dublin and inquiries into how the secret code was compromised are focusing on another branch in mainland Europe.

The Dublin probe is the latest in a series of financial twists and turns that have befallen the actor who was among the highest paid in the world in his heyday.

But Don Johnson's days of glory are over. Facing huge debts, he has been forced to put his 17 acre ranch in Aspen, Colorado, on the market to appease his creditors while declaring himself bankrupt in the US.

A court last week ordered him to pay around $3,200 in unsettled shopping bills.

According to his bankruptcy petition recently filed, he is being pursued for outstanding bills of £3,993 from Aspen Valley Hospital, $688 from the Isberian Rug Company, £918 from Holy Cross Energy, $1,515 from law firm Garfield & Hecht and $205 from liquor store Grapes and Grain.

And the Los Angeles-based City National Bank, sued the actor last March claiming he owed over $500,000 from an unpaid loan.

Born Donnie Wayne Johnson in Flat Creek, Missouri, the son of a farmer and beautician blazed onto TV screens in 1984 as Sonny Crockett. He shone in the pacey cop show, which featured fast cars and rock music. He even became a fashion icon in his trademark white linen suit with rolled-up sleeves.

He re-married actress Melanie Griffith in 1989 at the height of his fame. The pair's much publicised marital woes filled tabloid columns for years before they finally split in 1996.

A number of box office flops tested Johnson's marketability. Another detective show, 'Nash Bridges', temporarily rescued his failing career in 1996, but its demise left Johnson bereft of acting work and seriously out of pocket.

Although now married to society heiress Kelly Phleger, who has a $30m (€24m) trust fund, Johnson may have signed a prenuptial agreement which prevents him from getting his hands on his wife's fortune to deal with his financial woes.

In 2002, Johnson was stopped by customs officials while driving from Switzerland into Germany. They allegedly found financial documents worth over $5bn (€4bn).

He was later exonerated - but only after German authorities said he was being investigated for money laundering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

NASH BRIDGES..... OMFG

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

NASH BRIDGES..... OMFG

Apparently he dated the actress who played his teenage daughter while the series was going on.......

I'm not sure whether to applaud or be appalled.......

Don should take some lessons from a fine Irishmen on how to sort this awkward little mix up.

All together now "THE MONEY WAS ONLY RESTING IN MY ACCOUNT"

mycroft wrote:

All together now "THE MONEY WAS ONLY RESTING IN MY ACCOUNT"

:D:D

I knew it was'nt Robert Downey Jnr really. No, really!! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

2Fm did a pretty entertaining (and informative, they don't call it edutainment for no reason) bit about it this evening. Going through his grocery bill (unpaid) and so on while playing the Miami Vice theme in the background. Reminded me yet again that it's nice not to be famous.

Advertisement