Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton v Arsenal (Spoilers)

• 15-08-2004 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Kick off at 2 PM. Should be an interesing match and build up the Man U Chelsea :D

Linup for Arsenal:

Lehmann

Lauren
    Toure
    Cygan
    Cole

Ljungberg
    Gilberto
    Fabregas
    Reyes

Bergkamp
    Henry

2-1 Arsenal i'd say.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Also the Everton line up:

Martyn

Pistone
    Yobo
    Stubbs
    Naysmith

Osman
    Carsley
    Gravesen
    Kilbane

McFadden
    Campbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Everton will be looking to get a point, but if Arsenal get going it could be a very one sided game. Pires is on the bench and I'm sure will get a run if things are going well.

3-1 to Arsenal I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

1-0 to Everton
    Just have a feeling after the whole season unbeaten they will lose the first one of next season and with Cygan playing anything is possible.
    €5 at 11-1 with PP

kida wrote:
    1-0 to Everton
    Just have a feeling after the whole season unbeaten they will lose the first one of next season and with Cygan playing anything is possible.
    €5 at 11-1 with PP

1-0 to Arsenal. Bergkamp!

*Cough* 2-0 Reyes.

Class goal :D

• Advertisement

I said in another thread that Reyes would be the one to watch this season and if he keeps this up I could be right. Arsenal get players forward so fast it's scary. Arsenal are plaing very well and still have Veria, Peres and Campbell to come back!

Anyone watching this on Sky Digital? Is the interactive feature working?

3-0 Freddie :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish1 wrote:
    I said in another thread that Reyes would be the one to watch this season and if he keeps this up I could be right.

Couldn't agree more! I've been saying the same since I first seen him play last season, the guy is pure class. I have him as captain in my Fantasy team!! :D
    You have to give it to Wenger, he really knows how to pick em, and he knows how to integrate them into the team.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

4-1 bit of a scrappy one, keeper should have held the henry shot. Fair play to pires for chasing it up.

Just noticed no one mentioned the everton goal, nice flick through for carsley and very good finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Final score, good start to the season :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Decent enough performance and a very nice result.

Very composed performance again by Fabregas, I hope Gilberto's injury isn't serious however as another centre-mid out is the last thing they need. Bergkamp, Ljungberg or Fabregas probably deserved MOTM.

Axel wrote:
    Anyone watching this on Sky Digital? Is the interactive feature working?

Not working and won't be until next weekend according to sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

something to look forward to seeing after work

only saw the Ljungberg goal. very nice goal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Everton were exceptionally poor.
    They looked 1st division material , Henry looks subdued and Reyes was very good. Arsenal could have scored a few more but gave up trying at 20 everton were that bad.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

KdjaC wrote:
    Everton were exceptionally poor.
    They looked 1st division material , Henry looks subdued and Reyes was very good. Arsenal could have scored a few more but gave up trying at 20 everton were that bad.

kdjac

Yes, Henry was awful, only two assists and a shot that lead to the fourth goal. If he doesn't up his game he could be dropped or even sold!

In fairness Everton were poor but all Arsenal can do is play the team on the pitch (to quote Gilesey) and they put in a very good performance. Fabregas had a very good first half and looks quite capable of taking a claim in the team.

Its only 2 games in but I've seen nothing to alter my opinion that they will not be matched by chelsea or Utd this season.

Wouldnt say awful more subdued ,gave ball a way a lot and didnt look hungry for the ball.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Everton were not all that bad today for a start.. They defence was shocking but they the rest of the team managed to play some decent football and at times put Arsenal under alot of pressure.. Everton's goal had it all, excellent build up, killer pass and a really good finish at the end..

Now to Arsenal. They were lethal attacking. Cygan seems to be his old self again, very nervous, nearly raping Campbell in the box a few time and making some poor decisions..Bergkamp seems to be getting better with age while Reyes was amazing once again. Henry was quiet enough but still looked dangerous..

Arsenal seem to be even quicker now on the counter attack this season too.. It actually looked like they were trying to punish Everton for daring to commit players forward.

All looks rosey in Highbury and after todays matches alone, they may retain the premiership for the first time in a long time.

LOL @ Sky sports asking if Fabergas would keep Viera out of the team ,that guy is only 17 fook me he looks good. Although the mullet has to go.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A very solid start for Arsenal. I think on today's performance they would have given anyone a run for their money, including Chelsea and Man U at their home grounds. Their defense is their weakest link but when Campbell comes back that will improve. Is he out for a long time?

What I thought was significant is that Bergkamp is on top of his game as much as ever (at 35 thats amazing!) and a major influencer, Henry's work rate was good and he seems motivated, and Reyes was excellent as was Ljungberg who looked hungry. The work "horses" of Lauren and Toure also were as tireless as ever. Ashley Cole looked as reliable as ever and was a positive contributor going forward.

Pires came off the bench and contributed, and given that Viera has also to come back, Arsenal are a strong team - no shadow of a doubt.

I've said it other sesons and I'll say it this season again, Wenger's "secret" aim is to win the CL. The premiership title is more or less meaningless to a team that has won it three times and who's value is more or less the same as ending in 2nd place. Yes, finishing in the top-4 is a must, but the litmus test for Arsenal this year will be how well they do in the CL. Arsene and I'm sure all Arsenal followers would trade 84 unbeaten games in the top flight for a CL title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

it will be interesting to see arsenal in the cl this year.

madrid have had their heads chopped back down to size and the likes of ac milan, juve have had a slap in the face. everyone starts equal this year and one thing is for sure, porto will not retain it.

arsenal have a real chance of winning it, we will see whether they have learned how to finish teams off in europe and control games. however i dont believe its in arsenals best interest to put the champions league before the premiership.

they've never retained the premiership and never will if they have that attitude. to be known as a great side they MUST retain the title and stamp their authority as englands best club.

the premiership has almost become more attractive than the cl at this stage, porto really degraded the cl by winning it last year especially with monaco in the final.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd MUCH rather Arsenal win the PL this season than the CL. Personally I feel you have to win your domestic league when you win the CL otherwise it degrades it... best team in Europe when you aren't even the best in your own league? boo.

I'm not expecting much from Arsenal in the CL this season. Unless Pires is injured allowing Reyes to play wide left I don't think Arsenal's shape will be any different this season and they will struggle to break down compact european defences. I think in a few years time should the likes of Van Persie, Smith, Fabregas and Pennant develop the way I hope they do they'll have a lot more variety in midfield and a better chance in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

smemon wrote:
    it will be interesting to see arsenal in the cl this year. arsenal have a real chance of winning it, we will see whether they have learned how to finish teams off in europe and control games. however i dont believe its in arsenals best interest to put the champions league before the premiership. they've never retained the premiership and never will if they have that attitude. to be known as a great side they MUST retain the title and stamp their authority as englands best club. the premiership has almost become more attractive than the cl at this stage, porto really degraded the cl by winning it last year especially with monaco in the final.

I am fabergasted (pun intended!) Smemom. So, you are saying that Porto degraded the CL by winning it, even though every manager/team/owner, etc in Europe is hoping to win it!?! I suppose then Arsenal could field a second string team on Tue/Wed nights if they want to concentrate on the PL.

I am not an Arsenal supporter, but it sounds like yourself and Kaids are already throwing in the towel for the CL as it is the toughest trophy to win.

Wenger has won three PL's now, and he hasn't even reached the final of the CL. If you were Arsene, which trophy would you rather win. Lets say: PL and QF of CL or 2nd in PL and CL winner? The two PL's in a row is meaningless really .... 3 PL's in a row is a reasonable target. But I'm sure the players are now hungry for the CL. They have nothing else to win .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The League Cup.........that mighty trophy still alludes Arsene Wengers colection of trophies .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

redspider wrote:
    I am fabergasted (pun intended!) Smemom. So, you are saying that Porto degraded the CL by winning it, even though every manager/team/owner, etc in Europe is hoping to win it!?! I suppose then Arsenal could field a second string team on Tue/Wed nights if they want to concentrate on the PL.

I am not an Arsenal supporter, but it sounds like yourself and Kaids are already throwing in the towel for the CL as it is the toughest trophy to win.

Wenger has won three PL's now, and he hasn't even reached the final of the CL. If you were Arsene, which trophy would you rather win. Lets say: PL and QF of CL or 2nd in PL and CL winner? The two PL's in a row is meaningless really .... 3 PL's in a row is a reasonable target. But I'm sure the players are now hungry for the CL. They have nothing else to win .....

yes, porto didnt deserve to win it, there are much better sides in europe than porto, they fluked their way through it, just like greece in euro 2004.

the great teams win cl trophies, porto aren't a great team. i can understand why you would want the cl but in my view, going all out for the cl and losing the league is easier than retaining the league.

league is based over 38 games (retaining it 76). winning cl takes what, 13/15max? plus playing against champions means you automatically raise your game against arsenal or try to hence thats why retaining the league is so important, to prove it wasnt just a one off and dominate.

just because Porto beat you're mighty Man United dosen't mean its a fluke .(just some very good coaching I have to say) .

and Greece , there wasnt one game that they won without deserving to win , they grafted , scrapped , and fought harder than any Internationel side had done at a major tournament before , just because they're not the most skillfull teams dosen't make they flukey .

{me goes off to calm down :p }

smemon wrote:

league is based over 38 games (retaining it 76). winning cl takes what, 13/15max? plus playing against champions means you automatically raise your game against arsenal or try to hence thats why retaining the league is so important, to prove it wasnt just a one off and dominate.

I think going the while season unbeaten is sorta proof enough that if wasnt a one off.. How many other records have they broken in the last few seasons and how many are they close too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

smemon wrote:
    yes, porto didnt deserve to win it, there are much better sides in europe than porto, they fluked their way through it, just like greece in euro 2004.

Alas, the words of a man who never appreciated the value of hard-work, commitment, and dare I say it, defending. Porto won the Champions League because they had quality defenders, kept it tight at the back, and allowed their strikers to go on and win them games. Greece won the European Championships with a lot of hard work, organisation, and desire to win. To be honest, I'd rather see that kind of spirit win a competition than a buch of fancy-dans who think they deserve the trophies delivered to them on a plate.

The CL wasn't degraded by Porto winning it last year. It was degraded by the likes of Real Madrid and AC Milan thinking they didn't have to work to win it. They deserve the wake-up call, and hopefully now they know that in order to win it, you have to have every bit as much desire as the "lesser" clubs they like to look down on.

If everybody was to look upon Porto's success as a fluke, we'd be looking at a long run of underdog successes before we see attractive teams winning the Champions League again.

Your talent for the dramatic and hasty comment never ceases to amaze me Smemon.

Porto winning the CL and Greece winning the Euro championship is one of the best things that could have happened to football.. Football was on the way to becoming the new Formula 1 where the biggest budget made every game predictable..

On paper neither team should have one it but they took advantage of the arrogance of the "best" clubs..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Smemon, I am a million per cent sure that if Greece played the way they did with players like Zidane of Keane in the team you would have agreed they deserved to win it.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Smemon, I am a million per cent sure that if Greece played the way they did with players like Zidane of Keane in the team you would have agreed they deserved to win it.

Zidane and Keane .........give me Giannakopoulos and Zagorakis any day ;) .

Advertisement