Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricks o the trade

Options
  • 22-05-2001 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Lets hear your deep and dark tricks o tribes.

Or are they your deep dark secrets and your too stubourn to tell.

The trick I know is this(don't know if its well known or not).

>You get in jugernaut armor and equip an inventory station. You can get a lift or walk all the way within fusion mortor range of the enemy base. Plant your inventory station and then blow the base to bits. When you need ammo you just go to the station. This keeps the base under constant mortoring.
    Rember to plant a beacon to tell everyone where the station is.

(Insert quote here)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Wait for a gunship, and jump on as tail or something, then when they're nice and full and coming into the nme base, shocklance it a few time. Dont forget to start calling for the driver to be kicked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's a well good tactic Rev - I'll try that tonight.

I've got another one that'll guarantee the enemy won't get a flag cap...
    Get their flag at the very start of the game and don't cap it until the last second of the game! Your team mates will be delighted with your amazing tactical team play and skillz.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well I only do this on certain levels and its sort of an extension of El Marco's idea.

first off, get yourself a jericho. Drive it to within a convenient distance of the enemy base, somewhere where it wont be easily seen. Then set up shop and start dismantling the nme base with missles, mortars or whatever.

This is intensly annoying to the enemy and they will more than likely come out in force and blow up you and your jericho. Its a good diversionary tactic though. As with most things, good teamwork can be devastating smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually I find someone taking the jerico on a joyride to the enemy base just so they can satisfy thier bloodlust quite annoying.

Jerico should be used an advanced support station and defense. If you want to do that, take an INV instead.

Jerico is better at assets you want to protect. Eg. Slapdash, right up at the flag. It allows your lights to come storming in fast to the flag then suit up in a heavy suit.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Get their flag at the very start of the game and don't cap it until the last second of the game! Your team mates will be delighted with your amazing tactical team play and skillz.</font>

LOL. Actually I got a flag back to base within 40 seconds left of the game ending. I thought, what the hey lets get the final cap (at the last 2 seconds). In that 38 seconds tons of people were screaming at me and vote was started to have me kicked (with everyone voting yes btw).

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 22-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

LOL Hobbes, I was actually thinking that might happen if someone did that..

Miaow.

Lucy la morte.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Jerico should be used an advanced support station and defense. If you want to do that, take an INV instead.

Jerico is better at assets you want to protect. Eg. Slapdash, right up at the flag. It allows your lights to come storming in fast to the flag then suit up in a heavy suit.
    </font>
    On CTF maps its more use parking the Jericho near the enemy base (but sufficently away to avoid detection). That way you can quickly travel across the map as a light and suit up as a heavey close to the base. You end up spending less time wandering about midfield, and more attacking.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Jerico is better at assets you want to protect. Eg. Slapdash, right up at the flag. It allows your lights to come storming in fast to the flag then suit up in a heavy suit.</font>

yes but thats only really useful where there is an exposed flag (thats slapdash i think). You can effectively deploy and replenish turrets etc. around the flag whilst also being able to pop in and out of different armours should the need arise, also the missile launcher usually takes care of any cappers who are fond of jetting high up into the air to escape your landspikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Actually I find someone taking the jerico on a joyride to the enemy base just so they can satisfy thier bloodlust quite annoying.

</font>

I don't think you fully understood(or else I've got it wrong), but I think Hectate meant that the enemies will get so ****ed off that they will all attack the jericho, leaving their base open to attack.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sean

i got tribes and loved it
    then it buggerd up my pc frown.gif
    mad.gif
    but i soon got it fixed biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    I don't think you fully understood(or else I've got it wrong), but I think Hectate meant that the enemies will get so ****ed off that they will all attack the jericho, leaving their base open to attack.

</font>

Correct and it takes all of 4 missiles to take out a jericho and takes 5-10 minutes to drive the thing to the other side of the map.

So that's 5-10 minutes that it is absolutly no use.

• Advertisement

well, they have to get near it first smile.gif

speaking of jericho's, I was playing last night on thin ice and someone decided to plonk a mobile base right in the middle of the map, nowhere near our base which made it completly useless other than for harrassing.

Funnily enough the guy who was maintaining it seemed was really serious about defending it, and drove to exactly the same spot each time. It lasted about 3 minutes smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

I usually park the jerico in between the two bases and this halves your journeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭[-Morpheus-]

I usually play the game rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Ok one for the pros tongue.gif. One i like to do which is fairly tricky im sure youve seen me do it hobbes is the old Ejectograb biggrin.gif I fly a scout in and then when i think its just about right i jump out of the scout jetting towards the flag the scout continues to fly with me i land grab the flag jump again jetting and hop into the still moving scout and zip off biggrin.gif The disarray and confusion it causes is hilarious the other team dunno what hit em and your bombin away on a ****in scout wink.gif Give it a try but trust me its not a walk in the park to pull off. I screw it up alot and end up with the sscout bbein raped by their turrets and their team but that distracts them enough for me to grab the flag and jet off with it skiing over the hills to safety. Oh and bring flares!! Incase you ARE on foot they work wonders wink.gif

Citer le Cordeau "JennyRooba" biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by SpiraL (edited 27-05-2001).]

that actually raises an interesting question; will turrets and other fixed defenses fire on vehicles first, and enemy players second?

I use the super light loadout a lot (Light, Energy pack, Disc + flares).

Then when I want to get into an area I jet high then drop in fast and then jet out again.

For Riverdance, I get the flag and out before the guy watching it can see me. smile.gif Likewise for the "Thin ice", I use it to jet in and drop into the top window blinding the turrets from tracking me, then I drop straight down on the flag and run to the side and jet back all the way up and out. In and out in under 4 seconds.

In Thin ice theres a good way to keep the enemy out of your base.
    The enemy mostly come in through the four high entrances and not the main entrance below the turret. All you do is mine the four top entrances to the last and that stops the enemy creepin around upstairs.
    Oh I giggled at the guys runnin in only to step on a mine and get blown to bits smile.gif

or this isn't really a tactic its only really for the clumsy players.

I saw this in a game of Kabatic once. In the mid point of the level the whole area was layed with about 40 mines (well maybe not that much) and made it akward to pass. The guy must have had lots of patiance to do it though.
    I myself went through the feild in a grav cycle and hit 4 mines.
    (Insert quote here)

[This message has been edited by El Marco (edited 28-05-2001).]

Just found some thing out there and its pretty handy.
    With pulse sensors at the base of the rotating top there is a flashing light at the bottom:back. Fire one fully charged laser rifle blast at this light and the sensor is disabled but isnt destroyed and still spins (the enemy doesnt notice its disabled). biggrin.gif

(Insert quote here)

I have two biggrin.gif

1. Pilot Loadout. (Med Armor)
    - Spinfusor.
    - Machine gun
    - Missile launcher
    - ELF
    - Flares
    - Repair pack

This loadout is I use for long term flying in a Shrike, also when flying as Tailgunner.

Lastly it's great for getting payback, stealing shrikes. biggrin.gif

If your unluckly enough to be shot down the Med armor will protect you a lot. Once you hit the ground the Shrike will think your an easy target and try to shoot you. Then when they can't shoot you they will try to run you over.

Now what you do is let them get in close then ELF them! Keep on them, finally thier ship will be disabled and they won't be able to move. They will get out and you jump into the ship. smile.gif If they do manage to escape your ELF range, or they don't come in close then use the missile launcher. (Throw launcher away when empty, increases your speed).

Failing that, use the Chain gun. It will tear up a shrike in no time.

2. Santuary Surprise.
    Santuary level (courtyard, flag in middle). Go buy a tank and then looking at the wall facing you run full speed at it at an angle (so you hit one of the juts). This will bounce your tank onto the ledge. Now drop it into the court yard and up near a corner. Now get into the gunner seat and the mortor turret will stop any flag capper.

Down side is people jumping into the tank and trying to drive it.

• Advertisement

I've been practicin my defence and so far I have defence setup for 2 levels(not much but Im buildin it up). I'm just wondering how I could show these setups to people through email or what ever.
    Hobbes I'm lookin your direction confused.gif
    (Insert quote here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

Anyone else notice a hole in the map Sanctuary?
    Manage to loose a Jericho down it the other day. I was driving along when everything went the screen went gray and started spinning. Ejected from the Jericho and died. The command screen showed the jericho being way of to the west somewhere and stayed there for the rest of the map. frown.gif
    very weird.

-If you are ever stuck for a bomber-

What I do is hop in the bomber and fly to the enemy base then stop right over it but still high enough out of sight; then hold your finger on the afterburners until you get to around 300meters
    Hop out and then hop into the bomber seat and bomb there base to **** biggrin.gif
    Good points are that you get the kills, you know where you want to bomb, no one can see you up there from the ground due to the fog and you can’t get shot down by a missile turret from that high and if you do hop out and throw a flare

Bad points are: If someone is able to see you they can take out their missile launcher & shoot you down, you can miss the bomber seat and fall down into there base and it can take along time to do this
    On Sanctuary
    Get a shrike then fly into the yard where your flag is and land on the flag in a weird way [tilted]. Hop out of the shrike then leave it there so that your enemy has a little bit of trouble moving it with is long enough to get the spike turrets to get him biggrin.gif

Tip for flying as well
    I recommend getting this flying script http://scripts.tribalwar.com/crunchy/files/PilotMode_v1.1.zipInstallation

Unzip the files to Tribes2\GameData\base.
    Start Tribes 2.
    Set a key for the PilotMode options, the mode itself is automatic.
    Join or host a game, press the options key to customise the amplification of your mouse sensitivity

Put the sensitivity on around 0.5 up to 2.0 at max instead of 3.0 cause it doesn’t seem to react well on 3.0 confused.gif

[This message has been edited by [-Morpheus-] (edited 29-05-2001).]

oh el.marco that jugernaut trick is the best, twas doing last night on an english server biggrin.gif Got loads of kills

Rember, Dont destroy turrets!
    Just disable them (when the light on the arial stops flashing, that means it's disabled) this can make it easier for later caps because the defence doesnt really notice that a turret is disabled, rather than it just being plain destroyed rolleyes.gif

(Insert quote here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Good tip this one, helps u stay alive a lot longer.

If you're in a vehicle, and the pilot is Lucutus, jump out.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Heres one.
    If you want a vehicle, get it yourself. If your a heavy and need transportation stand by the vehicle bay and shout "I need a Ride". After five minutes of watching scouts buy shrikes and crash them immediatly just walk yourself mad.gif
    If you need sombody to help you in a bomber, say you need a bombadiar: very few ppl will respond if you need a pilot or tailgunner but say you need a bomber and the whole team will be on their way.

Loadout for destroying bases
    Scout armour
    Cloak Pack
    Plasma gun
    gren launcher
    shocklance
    mines
    normal grens

Loadout for most other things for me:
    Same as the juggernaught offence loadout but replace the grens with flares and voila youre a useful tailgunner at a pinch

Another one i picked up off hobbes is switch one turret to an AA battery, not that it directly gets many kills but it annoys the **** out of would be shrikers

Final "tip" if you need a particular target painted, say you need it painted while your looking directly at it. Everyone can see exactly what you want lased and its position is marked on the map. Then you sit back and hope that somebody will actually do what you ask

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this....
    bull****

Yeah its annoyin when people start shoutin "NEED A TARGET PAINTED" and you don't know where mad.gif

Yes I was bored so I decided to do some tests. This is the amount of shots from each weapon on the two types of turret.

Spike Turrets
    Spinfuser 2(gets destroyed on 2)
    Plasma Rifle 2
    Laser Rifle 2
    Blaster 6
    Chain Gun 14 (Up Close)
    Gren Launcher 3

Land Spike Turret
    Spinfuser 3(gets destroyed)
    Plasma Rifle 3
    Laser Rifle 5
    Blaster 14
    Chain Gun 20 (Up Close)
    Gren Launcher 3

These are accurate, I think, I don’t know if there is weak parts in turrets or their just the same all round.
    They’re the weapons that most people use. I didn’t add fusion mortar because it’s obvious that 1 shot will do.

(Insert quote here)

[This message has been edited by El Marco (edited 31-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by El Marco (edited 31-05-2001).]

• Advertisement

The message above didnt turn out as a intended. The numbers beside it are the number of shots required to disable it.

Advertisement