Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€40k Boxes

Options
  • 15-08-2004 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

From the tribune today...

2 million euro, the cost of mounting speed camera boxes throughout the country as a superficial threat to motorists. Each mounted box costs €40,000 with the total cost of 51 new boxes reaching over €2m. It was revealed that the government has no intention of installing cameras inside the boxes.

ehh, thinking of pitching a tender to the govt of installing these boxes for €30k myself. Given it should cost me little over a couple hundred euro, + the cost of a shovel, for each one, there's a tidy profit to be made. How could somebody seriously pitch a price of €40k a box for this and expected to be taken seriously? :eek:

Fine spend of taxpayers money it is.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hmm seems abity crazy alright
    I'd like to see a breakdown of just how it costs 40K per box
    would be interesting to have a look at after all we are paying for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mollser wrote:
    ehh, thinking of pitching a tender to the govt of installing these boxes for €30k myself. Given it should cost me little over a couple hundred euro, + the cost of a shovel, for each one, there's a tidy profit to be made. How could somebody seriously pitch a price of €40k a box for this and expected to be taken seriously? :eek:

Sounds about typical, you can bet some metal box fabriaction company who have links to a minister will get the contract too*!

Mike.

*okay I can think that....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

OMG! 40 grand for a box with no camera? Christ, at that price I'd expect it to have constant monitoring and have it networked to nearest Garda station!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

At that price I'd expect it to be Skynet and be able to take over the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

mike65 wrote:
    Sounds about typical, you can bet some metal box fabriaction company who have links to a minister will get the contract too*!

Make a Freedom of Information request about the exact costs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

How about scarecrows with Garda uniforms on?
    Would be a lot cheaper wouldn't it.
    But then I guess nobody would be making a small fortune so that's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

What is the point in putting boxes up if there is no cameras in them. what are they made of platinum or gold,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

By any chance are the boxes ready to accept camera's at any time, i.e. there would be 50 boxes with 10 cameras moved between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

i wonder do they need any traffic cones - going cheap at 17k - each - just in case ye taught ye we getting a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Velcrow wrote:
    i wonder do they need any traffic cones - going cheap at 17k - each - just in case ye taught ye we getting a deal!
    €17,000! Nice. I 'found' a bunch of them the other night. *singing* I'm in the money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I like the scarecrow idea. We could put them along the city streets at night to deter fighting and mugging too. These scarecrows are probably more effective too. Booby trap them as well in case people mess with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just found this
    At £8,000 (€13000) for an operational speed camera mounted on a trailer, it is hardly a cheap option but Allott claims he has already had a number of inquiries, including interest from two schools and a local authority.

draw your own conclusions.

Presumably a fixed position camera would cost no more.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

i hate this country,
    they are so stupid when it comes to spending money!
    AHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

byte wrote:
    OMG! 40 grand for a box with no camera? Christ, at that price I'd expect it to have constant monitoring and have it networked to nearest Garda station!
    maybe the box only 500 yoyos to build and install and the plan is to have it connected via a modem to the nearest garda station. However the other 39.5K is to cover the costs of trying to get €ircon to enable broadband and when that fails they need to cover the extortionalte costs of dial up!
    :D

Advertisement