Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well that was a bit mad! (Saturday's Fitz 25-in)

Options
  • 15-08-2004 2:29pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well done all, 40 runners was great support given the day that was in it!
    Hope you all enjoyed it and remember First Monday of September is PayDay Monday in the Merrion again.

--

I went out of the tournie unspectacularly and didnt really mind cos I figured a lot of the action would be happening in the SNGs and cash games. Boy was I not wrong! I played a SNG and it seemed clear that Pok'ar (the God of gambling) was determined that I would have no luck in tournies so I sat down at the last refuge of the defeated, the cash game. Limited to 30 euro in it was pot limit Holdem.

Pot limit is supposed to limit the action so that you see a lot more flops cheaper and a lot more rivers. Except when Suitedaces organise them it seems! The cash game turned into a monster bloodbath with pots of 100 euros being common! With some good cards and some tricky calls I motored my stack up to 210 euro from 30 only about 20 minutes previously! Things went a bit cold for me but then I lost a monster hand against JP and was back to 60 notes. A 300 quid pot (nice flop JP)!

That 60 bought me an education in pot limit which was seriously wrecking my head. So did the next thirty. Then it was off to the bank for another 50 (30 to gamble with and 20 for beer). Lost the 30. Put the 20 on the table and thinking I'd get more for drinks later. 2 hours later and having finally got a mental model for "pot limit" worked out as opposed to just playing No limit, with a limit, I had started to play better (not to mention hit cards) and was up to 310 quid so at that point I thought "time to get off this rollercoaster!".
    200 quid up on the table seemed like a nice time to leave, not to mention that 3 of the regular big-table cash players had decided to join us (though they then seemed to lose their shirts as they didnt seem able to contain our style of play!)

I thought I'd never see anyone have so much bad luck as Muso who had AA. KK and QQ cracked on him... until Hyzepher started playing and had all of those cracked on him as well as JJ twice, several rivers go wrong and at least one runner runner pulled on him. Chris, I'm glad you regularly win money from Fitz cash games cos otherwise that run of bad luck would have stung! Man I thought *I* was unlucky!

JP, dont think this doesnt mean you still owe me a pint you jammy bastid!

DeV.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: a big FU and two fingers to all those who were predicting that I'd be leaving broke and then crowing about how they were right when I lost the big pot to JP. :p:p

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

um - poker who needs it - I've finished with it all - I'm off to play badminton or squash or soccer/GAA or paintballing or .. shag that too much like hard sweaty work - lads I'm back!! - where the action?

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It was definitely enjoyable, even if a couple of dodgy calls ultimiately cost me in the tournie. As far as the cash game goes, I think I'll stick to tournaments and sngs in future, couldn't get a handle on the cash game at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think if we try to have a cash game again we should go with limit rather than pot limit.

That cash game was just as crazy as the normal fitz €50 buy in game perhaps even crazier as we didn't have the excuse of Omaha madness.

I got away fairly unscathed at a few bills up but jebus I count myself lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I agree in future it should be limit rather than pot limit. After grinding out a 2nd place in a single table satellite and taking €35 after 90 minutes of play, I sat down in the cash game only to lose €60 in the space of two hands. Luckily I managed to work my way up to over €200 but that was only after investing €90 in the game and a couple of heart stopping hands. That said I had a great time at the table and loved the trash talking and the relaxed atmosphere. Plus it was great playing for 6/7 hours and not going fu*k i've got to be in work in 3 hours :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Saturday was just embarrassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Would like to thank the guys for organising Saturday, thought it was well run and there was a good atmosphere in the place, seems like Luke was enjoying the crack as well!

Started the tourney off poorly and having not played a hand was down to 1300 at the break. sat back down to see pocket 8's straight away, all in, one caller with pocket 6's. he flopped a 6 but i hit a miracle 8 on the river and i knew my luck was changing! ran into pocket kings with pocket queens later and was short stacked again and went all in with a, 9 against j,j. hit 2 9's on the flop. From their on i grinded out some hands as the confidence grew and reached the final table which seemed to last an enternity. made the final 3 where we agreed to split the 600 three ways and play for 50. Marie went on to win the 50 euro but it was great craic.

Couldnt hang around to play in any of the cash games (and from what im hearing thank god) as i had to make a house game and was running a bit late, thanks again for organising it, think ill have to take a stab at the 50 in the merrion next!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

thanks to everyone for saturday, very enjoyable and great that it was on at a civilized hour; special mention for Oscar's patience and skill in dealing table No. 1, even if he did give me consistently wretched cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Yeah Saturday was excellent, just the thing Juan Pablo needed to take his mind off the Dub's capitualtion in Croker! Flopping the nut straight :eek: against Dev's trip aces is always fun, I do enjoy pot limit (although a round or two of Omaha wouldn't have gone astray!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

DeVore wrote:
    Pot limit is supposed to limit the action so that you see a lot more flops cheaper and a lot more rivers. Except when Suitedaces organise them it seems! The cash game turned into a monster bloodbath with pots of 100 euros being common! DeV.
    You should really never sit down at the more lively €50 holdem/omaha games then! They would give you a heart attack...

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

lafortezza wrote:
    You should really never sit down at the more lively €50 holdem/omaha games then! They would give you a heart attack...
    I dunno, according to Luke Ivory and Hyzepher it was a bit mad and livelier then the 50 cash game. Personally I found it a lot more exciting but also more dangerous then the tournies! Fortunes made and lost on the turn of a card, literally!

DeV.

The 50 Holdem/Omaha can get insane. I've be part of a table on a number of occasions where everyone is all in preflop on Omaha, pure gambles with pots of close to a grand with side pots all over the shop! I saw Oscar take down a pot one night that must have had €900 in it. Saturday before last there were two guys betting the pot every hand on every street with huge action! So in comparison I would have to say the €30 we played was quiet enough, but a great example of PLH in a cash game. All depends on who is at the table I suppose.

hmmmmmmm didnt think the 50-in game was quite that nuts! been meaning to sit down at it for a laugh if I win a good chunk in a tournie. 300 on sunday after an 80-quid buy in wasnt really enough as I'm broke at the moment and could use the money!

DeV.

You'd be grand at the 50, you and most of the guys on here would do well at the cash game due to the simple fact that we are poker players, not gamblers. Just play super tight and you'll get paid off. You may only win 2 hands all night but that could still be worth €500 to you. Again this is dependant on who you are playing against, but give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

what kind of cash you need to sit down with in the 50 game? Might sit down next time I win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

€50? I'd usually sit down with 100. Some sit down with up to €200, or some sit with just the bare €50 and use the power of the small stack and all-in to see the river, then dip into their pocket for another fifty if needed.

Id usually sit down with €60. Makes you even tighter I reckon. Some will sit down with 500 or more!

Advertisement