Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Wireless Broadband and Gaming

• 15-08-2004 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

ok ive heard that satellite broadband connections are unsuitable for online gaming due to latency or something (i aint too great with tech by the way). what im wondering is if there are any similar problems with fixed wireless access?? the package im looking at is a 512kbps download/128 kbps upload line of sight. should it be able to handle most online games??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you're not getting Ripwave, then yes, its perfect. But, by the sounds of it, you're looking at ripwave. Most wireless solutions are same speed up as they are down (i.e. syncronous, meaning 512/512 etc). With IBB on fixed wireless, i'm getting pings of averaging 7ms to boards.ie, and i can get ingame pings of as low as 15ms stably (but only in one british server). Typically you can expect 30ms ingame, in Counter-Strike.

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128 (www.boards.ie):
    Packets: Sent = 60, Received = 60, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 6ms
    Control-Break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Like Mutant_Fruit said, wireless is fine for gaming. I've a wireless connection from Last Mile Wireless and I play internet games such as Natural Selection on it the whole time. It works fine and has much lower latency than ISDN or dial-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

actually Poz3D, Last Mile Wireless is who im looking at getting it from too. living in the midlands we dont have much of a choice really. it is the most basic package, unfortunately i cant afford any of the better ones.
    which package do you subscribe to??
    and also, while were on the subject of last mile wireless can you tell me if they are reliable and trustworthy or just another eircom??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

The quality of the service depends on the provider. Usually the newer providers have fairly serious issues with regard to line stability and latency until they have gotten used to their network. So don't expect a good ping just because someone else has a fixed wireless connection and theirs works fine. I have a fixed wireless connection which is down half of the time and the pings are usually fairly unstable and I get fairly serious loss a lot of the time; 5% - 50%.

Hence I'm changing to dsl.

But, Mutant Fruits 6ms to boards is better than you would ever get on dsl. So when wireless works it can be very good. Just make sure you do your research on your provider. I know some providers that average out at about 400ms to boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

by the sounds of it, you're looking at ripwave.
    Ripwave is neither fixed wireless, nor line of sight, so it's a fair bet that, whether technology is involved, it's not Ripwave.

• Advertisement

Ripwave wrote:
    Ripwave is neither fixed wireless, nor line of sight, so it's a fair bet that, whether technology is involved, it's not Ripwave.
    he didn't mention line of sight :p And as for fixed wireless, i know what you mean, but i wouldnt be surprised if people referred to ripwave as fixed wireless. Its just when i saw 512/128, and not a syncronous connection, i assumed ripwave. There is method behind my madness :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

he didn't mention line of sight :p
    He said:
    the package im looking at is a 512kbps download/128 kbps upload line of sight.
    Its just when i saw 512/128, and not a syncronous connection, i assumed ripwave. There is method behind my madness :cool:
    IBB aren't the only wireless provider in the country, you know ;)

IBB aren't the only wireless provider in the country, you know
    all the ones i've seen (up til now) have all offered syncronous connections. Ah well, i now know better.
    the package im looking at is a 512kbps download/128 kbps upload line of sight.
    After re-reading his post twice before posting my "he didn't say line of sight" comment (to make sure i didn't make an idiot of myself), i missed those crucial words. Hrm, maybe i need to go have a coffee...

**Mutant_Fruit wanders aimlessly through his house, mumbling about coffee**

If you are going to be a gamer, and your going with this provider, try and find someone who already has it, and see what their pings are like. If you can't find someone else, then ask them yourself, but take that with a grain of salt. As was mentioned before, its either excellant, or horrible, it all depends. But generally, when theres no interference, wireless offers the lowest latency possible.

EDIT: can i have a clicky linky for these people, google is throwing up blanks.
    EDIT2: Never mind, and URK! a 10gb cap. :( And looks like only their "residential" package is not syncronous, all their other packages are :D

Advertisement