Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question about mac airport

• 15-08-2004 3:01pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought this board would be better to post about this than the mac board, given that its not a mac specific question, more about wireless.

I am planning on getting an ibook soon, and when I do I plan on hooking my broadband up to it (512k esat advantage plus... if that makes a difference). I can obviously hook both my PC and mac up at once, due to the usb and ethernet ports on the modem, but wouldnt mind the ability to move the laptop around the house while staying online.
    I saw that mac sell their airport devices, which are just for this job... my question is, will the connection speed be cut down while using a wireless modem such as this, or will it be the same as it would if I had a normal modem going straight into the mac?

Also, can anyone give me some advice on the workings of the airport device? Just some general knowledge that I should know about what I need, what I can use it for, that stuff.

thanks,
    flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure of the general speed of the Airport, but unless you're talking about a big ass broadband connection, then a wireless connection shouldn't make any difference. As long as the speed of the wireless network is faster than the broadband connection, then there shouldn't be any noticeable difference. For example, I'm running a 54Mbps wireless network connected to a 750Kbps line, and it goes just as if my machine was connected to the modem itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

the previous post is bang on! the speed you'll get out of a wireless LAN will be more than adequate for the purposes of you 512K connection.

as for airport there are a number of things to it. There is the airport card itself in the laptop. In the brand new ones they are 802.11g (54Mbps) whereas the rest are 802.11b(11Mbps), even that is more than adequate, in fact i use it myself and it's the same as having it hardwired into the computer.

then there are the Airport base-stations, there are a couple of versions of this, there are base-stations with DSL routers built in and there is a new one called an Airport Express which is a mini access point. If the router that Esat gave you has a hub built into it or it you have the broadband router already connected to an ethernet network, simple plug the airport express into the hub and instant wireless broadband once a small bit of setup is done. This is the same for any wireless access point out there.

The airport card in the laptop is compatible with ANY wireless lan, so you are not limited to apple hardware. I've used mine with Cisco, Sony and Belkin access points and never had had any issues.

hope this helps

Advertisement