Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

used system restore: now my cdrw/dvd drive won't work

Options
  • 15-08-2004 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

had a new cd rw/dvd rom drive fitted, was having a problem so used system restore, obviously a point before the drivers were installed, now my pc is seeing the drive as simply a cd rom drive. anyway to sort this out? i don;t have the driver on a disc. it also uninstalled my nero 6 and power dvd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Get the model of the drive, go to either the manufacturer's website or driverguide.com, download the driver, install the driver, enjoy the drive to its full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

doesn't say on the manufacturer front of the drive, the only thing i know is that it's a

COMBO IDE5216CO

been googling for an hour, still can;t find anything

any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Those drives shouldn't require any special drivers. Just uninstall the drive in device manager and restart the computer. Windows should do everything for you.

Its very unlikely the drivers are the problem with it, its probbly dying. Can you try it in another computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Exactly what Ciaran500 said - a CD/DVD drive should not need drivers. I do know, however, my DVD burner shows up as different types of drives, depending on what type of disc I have inserted - no disc, it shows up in my computer as a CD-ROM, DVD-R, it shows up as a DVD drive, DVD+RW, it shows up as a DVD-RW drive.

Insert a DVD (even a movie) and see if Windows will Autoplay it (of course re-install Power DVD first). Then you know it is working. Insert and Audio CD - does it play? Insert a data CD, can you read it in File Explorer? If you can't do any of these, then the drive is buggered, I would imagine.

tom dunne wrote:

Insert a DVD (even a movie) and see if Windows will Autoplay it (of course re-install Power DVD first). Then you know it is working. Insert and Audio CD - does it play? Insert a data CD, can you read it in File Explorer? If you can't do any of these, then the drive is buggered, I would imagine.

yeah, dvd's, vcds, cd roms and cds all work fine. just that the pc isnlt recognising the drive as a cd rewriter.

i also unistalled the drive in device manager, but still, cd burning isn;t working.

reinstalled nero too, just in case, that didn't do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

What OS?

XP Pro

Advertisement