Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[B]The back-door hurling final Cork v Kilkenny[/B]

• 15-08-2004 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

And then there was two.
    Well its a repeat of last years decider & very few can argue that these are the country's top two.
    Waterford gave three excellent displays in Munster & Wexford well they gave a big one against Kilkenny & full marks for that.
    As a Kilkennyman i'm installing Cork as favourites for September 12. Massive displays in scoretaking all season.
    4-19 1-18 3-16 2-19 2-26 1-27 in the 6 games.
    However who has the best defence in hurling? :D:D
    Both sides have 28 titles also so for the first time ever in Kilkenny case we can go to number one.
    And then there's a liitle matter of 3 in a row.
    Hurling fans can hardly wait :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭lukin

As a Kilkennyman i'm installing Cork as favourites for September 12. Massive displays in scoretaking all season.
    Well as a Corkman I thank you for the compliment, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be indulging in some of the cute-hoorism that Mick O Dywer perfected before every Cork/Kerry Munster Football Final in the 70's and 80's!
    Nevertheless, I have a better feeling about this final than the one last year.
    We seem to have improved with every game and hopefully will reach our peak in four weeks time. I think Kilkenny have kind of stumbled into this final to be honest.Clare should really have beaten ye in the drawn quarter-final.
    There is also no way that Cork will gift goals like Waterford did in the semi-final.
    Our forwards have been scoring freely as you pointed out, while Kilkenny have relied too heavily on Shefflin (he's gotta have an off-day sometime!).
    I admire Kilkenny for their resilience all year, as in the way they repelled all those Waterford attacks in the last ten minutes of the semi-final despite being out on their feet.
    There really is so much riding on this game though:Kilkenny going for the three-in-a-row, both counties being locked together on 28 All-Ireland's,last years final.
    I'd say that the tension will stifle the game, I wouldn't expect a classic.
    Mind you, I don't care if it's the worst game ever as long as my county wins.
    I'm sure you would say the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It's going to be a tough one for Kilkenny. Cork today looked like a team on a mission, with Wexford being a minor hurdle along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Corcaigh

I think we're going to win this year, we should of won last year. We had 11 wides i remember in the 1st half of play. We were sloppy but after the way we have been playing this year and the way kilkenny have been playing i fancy we'll have victory. We'll chase the pussy cats up a tree i tell ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

have a feeling the cork lads will do it this year, after last years performance i think the hunger will be there and they will have a bigger desire to win.

hopefully they will aswell.

Cork look very confident and feel they let one get away from them last year. They really want to win this year. It may not be a classic, but it will be a hard final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I don't think the Kilkenny backs will be able to contain the O Conners and they'll probably be completely baffled by Timmy McCarthy. Cork have a good defense but it hasn't been tested like kilkennys has, so I think its a bit of an unknown going into the final, also Garner out injured didn't hurt cork today and he'd be the man marking shefflin... anyone know if he'll be back for the final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

GreenHell wrote:
    I don't think the Kilkenny backs will be able to contain the O Conners and they'll probably be completely baffled by Timmy McCarthy. Cork have a good defense but it hasn't been tested like kilkennys has, so I think its a bit of an unknown going into the final, also Garner out injured didn't hurt cork today and he'd be the man marking shefflin... anyone know if he'll be back for the final?

i think so, its a month away and so i would say he will be fit and ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

I think a documentary RTE put out as Christmas called "final memories" has an awful lot to do with how 2004 final is now reviewed.
    The weather has an awful lot to do with what kind of game it is.
    Recent games between us have been close.
    1999 final in terrible conditions, last year reasonable enough weather & then the 2002 high scoring league final.
    No reason why either side cant make a case for success.
    High scoring forwards v super defence.
    50/50 game no more no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

And then there was two.
    Well its a repeat of last years decider & very few can argue that these are the country's top two.
    =:D

I think we'll have to wait till after the All Ireland final before making statements like that Kilkennycat. If Kilkenny give Cork a drubbing (very possible in my book) then I'd say your assesment will change a bit - Kilkenny and Waterford?

KevIRL wrote:
    If Kilkenny give Cork a drubbing (very possible in my book) QUOTE]

Nice to think of that. A nice comfortable stress free September day in Croker. cant see it though will go down to the wire i'd imagine.
    No contest for 3rd best team anyway. Deise by a mile. :D

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote:
    If Kilkenny give Cork a drubbing (very possible in my book) QUOTE]

No contest for 3rd best team anyway. Deise by a mile. :D

That might all change after the all ireland KC. If KK beat cork by say 5 or 6 points then who would be ranked number 2? It would have to be the Deise!

- League finalists

- Munster champs (beating Cork in the final)

- Gave KK a right old scare in the semi.

It all depends on the all ireland final. (Which if you read my post at upthedeise.com I give my thoughts as to why Kilkenny will win pulling up)

*PS - KilkennyCat, any chance of sponsoring me for access to the soccer forum?

KevIRL wrote:
    That might all change after the all ireland KC. If KK beat cork by say 5 or 6 points then who would be ranked number 2? It would have to be the Deise! *PS - KilkennyCat, any chance of sponsoring me for access to the soccer forum?

Hope your right Kev.

The soccer forum request I'd have no problem with it but to sponsor someone you need to be 6 monyths on here so cannot help.
    A good word in your favour. You havent caused any problems here to date & hopefully some of the other gaa/soccer multi users can help. Jesus kilkeny & Waterford co-operating. Sorry again about that but help may be at hand

Hope your right Kev.

The soccer forum request I'd have no problem with it but to sponsor someone you need to be 6 monyths on here so cannot help.
    A good word in your favour. You havent caused any problems here to date & hopefully some of the other gaa/soccer multi users can help.

thanks for the good word KC. Anyone out there on the soccer board willign to help a guy out?

The shadow boxing is already starting. Well, if Cork beat Kilkenny in the final you could rate Waterford as number 1, seeing as they have beaten both Cork and Kilkenny this year! :)

Flukey wrote:
    The shadow boxing is already starting. Well, if Cork beat Kilkenny in the final you could rate Waterford as number 1, seeing as they have beaten both Cork and Kilkenny this year! :)

And straight in at number 3 its UCD who beat us in Walsh Cup Final :D:)

Flukey wrote:

LOL I dont think so. If Cork beat Kilkenny then the ranking would surely be

1.Cork
    2.Kilkenny
    3.Waterford

However if KK beat Cork by say 5-6 points(or more) then its

1.Kilkenny
    2.Waterford
    3.Cork.
    4 (UCD)

Advertisement