Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Austen novel

Options
  • 15-08-2004 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

I decided to hold this vote, seeing as there are a few Austen buffs around. ;) Please leave a comment when you vote. Thanks.

What is your favourite Jane Austen novel? 17 votes

Pride and Prejudice
    0% 0 votes
    Emma
    52% 9 votes
    Mansfield Park
    17% 3 votes
    Persuasion
    11% 2 votes
    Northanger Abbey
    5% 1 vote
    Sense and Sensibility
    0% 0 votes
    I like them all equally
    11% 2 votes
    I don't like any of them
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Browny

Must admit, I do think P&P the better novel, but I just like Persuasion best -- love Frederick's letter at the end, and the way the whole dysfunctional family gets along, with all the laughs and stupid aggravations they cause.

Thanks for putting up the poll !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I voted Mansfiels Park because it's the only one I've read. I did it at uni and I wasn't mad keen on it at the time but I probably will end up reading more of Austen one day all the same.

Our lecturer used often to joke about how horrible it was to think of Fanny Price and her cousin's wedding night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

I shouldn't have put in that last option. It's distorting the figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

doing english in college....austen is boring.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I voted P&P
    the mother made me laugh with her nerves....
    Mr Darcy was cool :D
    ferdi wrote:
    doing english in college....austen is boring.

good lord! :eek:
    read it again and this time take the time to imagine the time it's set in, the way things were back then, the way it was written, the humour in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Beruthiel wrote:
    read it again and this time take the time to imagine the time it's set in, the way things were back then, the way it was written, the humour in it

oooh, living up the your title there beruthiel :p (and before you kill me, yes that was a joke :) ).

You're absolutely right though. I'm also really impressed with the time the books are written in. Really, for a lady to write such almost-but-not-quite suggestive themes (not to mention the undertones that women are actually equal to men!!! ah, glorious delusion :D ) was very impressive indeed and lends a whole new aspect to the books.

I'll be honest, I found P&P boring when I studied it in school. Primarily because I *studied* it... when I went back later and read it again as a novel I really enjoyed it. No offense to anyone, but I really think english is one subject where people who study it are really no better off than those that just read for fun. (my own opinion, feel free to disagree but dont be insulted).

I went on to read the rest of her works but P&P remains my favourite because it was the one I was completely wrong about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

S&S is my overall favourite Austen novel though E.Bennet (P&P) is probably her best character (though I haven't read all of Austens work so I maybe wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

Pride and Prejudice by far... :)

It was the first Austen novel I read, then I went on to read all of her other novels, although P&P is the only one I actually re-read once in a while. I also went out of my way to get the BBC screen version on one of my visits to Ireland, and I even developed a crush on Colin Firth over his Mr Darcy, so by now I think I am a regular "fan" in every embarrassing sense of the word :o . I can't imagine anyone could think P&P is boring, although I must say I didn't really like Northanger Abbey or Mansfield Park.... As for my favourite Austen character (good subject for the next poll ;) ) it has to be Mrs Bennet, neck and neck with Lady Catherine de Burgh... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

I voted for 'Sense and Sensibility' primarily because it has two main female characters that I liked, a good love story, great plot twists, and funny jokes. An ending that could make your heart jump certainly didn't hurt my appreciation either!

I feel fortunate I found Austen on my own and wasn't forced to read her work. I want to recommend a parody she wrote when she was 16 titled, 'The History of England' by a partial, prejudiced, and ignorant Historian (Note: there will be very few Dates in this History).

It's a treat you shouldn't miss. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I am going for Pride and Preducice, if only because I saw the TV series prior to reading the book. Any book bio. of Jane Austen's life out there btw?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

There's a book out now called "Jane Austen: The World of her Novels", which I was flicking through in Dubray. It has lots of information about the world of 18th C England that the novel;s were set in, as well as detailed biographical info.

Most editions of Austen's novels have a bio on the fly-leaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Manach, Park Honan's 'Jane Austen: Her Life' is considered to be an excellent biography. I enjoyed it and think it's worth your time if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

<RANT>

To be honest I chose the last one, I strongly dislike Jane Austin and her style, although alot of that came from being forced to do her book, Emma, for leaving Cert all those years ago. Before then, i just didn't care for her works.

I thought personally that her works being placed beside works of literature from the likes of Joyce, was an insult to Joyce's work.

</RANT>

Not trying to start an argument here, i just honestly feel that she's totally overratted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

nesf wrote:

I thought personally that her works being placed beside works of literature from the likes of Joyce, was an insult to Joyce's work.
    No argument, just some healthy debate... ;)

In any case, I don't think you can compare Austen to Joyce, or Shakespeare to Beckett, or the Brontë sisters to Salinger, they are in completely different leagues. Perhaps you don't like that kind of literature, but in her genre Jane Austen is a master... I don't know how it looks from the perspective of a native speaker, but I think her English is absolutely beautiful. Compare it to Charlotte Brontë, who is always trying to impress the reader with strange vocabulary and expressive pirouettes, Jane Austen is simple, elegant, shrewd and very witty...

Advertisement