Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed!!!!

Options
  • 15-08-2004 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Runing windows XP home edition with Service pack 1. Computer is running very slowly. Task manager shows the proccessor is using just under 100% of its power for running normal tasks! RAM usages is also way above normal! i've run spy sweeper, spy ware and adaware with no effect. Updated my Norton anti virus and still nothing! any help???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

In task manager click on the process tab and check to see what process is using 100% of the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

irishgeo wrote:
    In task manager click on the process tab and check to see what process is using 100% of the CPU.

there are 44 processes running! system idel process is using 90 but i thought that was normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Draíochta

This is most likely due to too many programs running at start up. Unless it is just one program as Irishgeo suggests, to find out press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click the processes tab. This lists all the programs currently running on the system, there should be about 20 to 30 depending on your system, (sounds to me as though you have more), the amount of CPU power used by each program is shown. If there is loads of programs running you need to stop the ones you don't want. I would suggest a great tool from Mike Lin, an American student, Startup Control Panel, this lets you control all your start up programs, but excludes the Windows ones. It is very handy, he has another program called Start up Monitor, which warns you before more programs are being palced in the list of Start up programs. Both programs are free of charge and include no spyware. They are both very small and quick downloads. Go to http://www.mlin.net/ for the downloads, it could also be that you have a virus, in which case I can't help. Keep us posted as to how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

just in case, try running CWShredder which you can get

HERE

y'never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Norton anti virus is not the best in the world to say the least. Try BitDefender Or Panda. BitDefender offers A free trial and updates for 30 days. Panda Titanium offers 3 months trial with free updates. Although titanium offers no firewall. My advice is to try either BitDefender or one of the Panda AV progs. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

in the end i called dell and the guy took me through step by step on using the win xp HE CD to fix files. I had tried it already (the same way i use to with win 98) but i din't work. But he taked me through it! The co is deff faster but some things still aren't working like the disk clean up??? Not to sure what that mean!

Advertisement