Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40

Options
  • 16-08-2004 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any views on 2001 Volvo S40....thinking of getting one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Good reliable, solid car. Diesels popular and SE came with leather, aircon etc. Widely used as a rep-mobile so watch histories and servicing. Try to get the SE with alloys/metallic paint etc as resale will always be better. Interior plastics poor and susceptible to damage despite Tonka image, Ford have allowed the accountants take over with this model. Avoid very high mileage examples.

'ceptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

The newer (99? onwards) ones have a softer suspension (old one was a bit hard, especially in the back seats).
    Feels more solid than your average car, but as solid as our old 220, which actually felt like driving a tank.
    One thing that annoys me is the combination of a low floor and 'not quite so good as it should be' road visability.
    Not that you'll be wanting to but the s40 crashes beautifully.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Decent car, rubbish handling, but solid.

I have a 1998 T4 (200bhp!) model, animal, but heavy on juice. Overall though as reliable as can be, never had a problem with it. Rock solid bombproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I have one of these. At 1.6 litres its underpowered and also has very hard suspension - not good for Dublin's mountain track style roads. The doors feel very light, like cardboard almost and have no reassuring heavy clunk sound when shut - a small point, perhaps, but still...
    Incredibly, given Volvo's posturing about safety, this car came with no passenger airbag! Salesman said at time this was because of risk to a babyseat placed backwards on front passenger seat - would you believe it!! The car feels very low down on the road too. Good points are air conditioning, comfortable upholstery and good handling - maybe the low down position is the reason. However, its got low mileage ( 35k) - anyone want to buy it?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Just got rid of my 2000 s40. very nice car 1.8 solid handling, leather interior. As said before go for se version climate control etc. Just bought s60 automatic...happy days and no I am not an accountant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Pataman wrote:
    and no I am not an accountant!

You must be middle-aged then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sound car. Made in Holland. The new model (Ford Focus / Mazda 3 platform) is made in Belgium :)

What engine are you thinking of getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

well im 27 so insurance is not as much of an issue as before when i got the astra which is a 1.4. A volvo S40 1.6 sounds a bit weak so a 1.8 would be my next option.

Mr. Dark wrote:
    You must be middle-aged then. :D

OUCH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Nice enough car- handling is a bit soft, solid enough but drab interior,
    1.8 is thirsty(25/28 mpg urban) and far from fast off the mark.also not much leg room in the back. I'm driving an '03 1.8 loaner at the moment, bought the new model '04 2.0D SE last saturday week, and it's been in the garage since thursday-some problem with an EGR valve

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Pataman wrote:
    ...Just bought s60 automatic...

Hows that going to you??? I love the S60's and S80's..

Tox

Heaven, its the essence of comfort. Have been on a few long drives since I got it and its so quiet. Never again for me that gearstick or clutch.

The auto is the way to go - I had an auto S80 in my last job and it was like travelling in a fast sitting room. Got to drive a manual D5 S60 and it was just tedious. Fast and economical.....but tedious. (Think it could be a movie title with Vin Diesel as an accountant?)

'ceptr

Whats the difference between the S60 and S80? Is the 80 wider?

longer, wider, higher, more rear leg-room, more like a barge..... And damned if I didn;t keep getting parking dents in those high hip ridges 'cos they don't line up with the rubber door strips on other cars - watch your S60 too.

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pataman wrote:
    Never again for me that gearstick or clutch.
    The auto is the way to go - I had an auto S80 in my last job and it was like travelling in a fast sitting room

Third that

If anyone would have told me 4 years ago I'd ever be driving an auto, I would have laughed in their face. On my second auto Beamer barge now und loving it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Some of these go for quite cheap. Worth buying a cheap high miler?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Mine's a 1.8L

Positives:
    Love the look if it
    great sound system

Negatives:
    interior is drab
    has an overly healthy appetite for arab juice
    Dealer servicing is crazy, just been quoted €700-€750 for a service by three dealers in Dublin (timing belt due for change)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Dr. Dre wrote:
    Mine's a 1.8L

Positives:
    Love the look if it
    great sound system

Negatives:
    interior is drab
    has an overly healthy appetite for arab juice
    Dealer servicing is crazy, just been quoted €700-€750 for a service by three dealers in Dublin (timing belt due for change)

Have you tried a renault dealer? It's a renault engine after all. More to the point, if the timing belt is due then it's most likely out of warranty so just go to an independant.

Advertisement