Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Exchange: open source

Options
  • 16-08-2004 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

is there an open source alternative to MS Exchange server?

i have a client who has a 2 node network with MS outlook and they would like to centralise their contacts database.

An open source version of exchange would be one way of going about it.

any other suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Uhh, there is for Linux I recall, but that's not much help. :p Check Open Office if running it under Linux is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Xmail

HERE

If Imap needed : Smartpost:

Here

SMTP only: Postcast

Here

Not sure how good each is. Never used them.

Cheap but not free alternative:

Mdaemon

Here

Have used Mdaemon and exchange. Each has their merits and hair tearing points. Personally, I think I prefer mdaemon...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmm m daemon looks like the job, resonable price too. Downloading the dmeo now

The others dont seem to act as an exchange server for contacts, notes etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.outlookstore.com/

Public Outlook use a central installed Outlook as "Public Folders" and permits thus common information.

But if they are willing to stump up for mdaemon then its much more flexible especially if you want to setup aliases and collect email from multiple addresses and also has loads of other goodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Fenster wrote:
    Uhh, there is for Linux I recall, but that's not much help. :p Check Open Office if running it under Linux is an option.
    A classic example that if you're going to talk about something, you should at least have the decency to know what you're talking about. All I had to do was follow one link once I got to the site to find this

openoffice.png

And you'd only need that if the XP screen shot on the frontpage wasn't enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

http://www.outlookstore.com/

Public Outlook use a central installed Outlook as "Public Folders" and permits thus common information.

that looks pretty nice. have you used it?

I can think of a client or two that would definitely go for that solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Can you use OpenOffice as a replacement for Exchange? Last time I checked OpenOffice was the open source equivilent of Ms Office, not a mail server. But I might be missing something.

You could try SuSE Linux Open Exchange (Slox)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

outlook store looks like what I need, sweet and simple. Nice. They just need email and contacts shared, although notes etc would be a bonus. nonetheless, outlookstore looks like the leader!

ill look a Slux too, but id say its a bit complicated for me!

Advertisement