Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 for 2 in Eason's

Options
  • 16-08-2004 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hands up anyone who thinks that Eason's 3 for 2 offer at the moment is more trouble than it's worth? I, for one. I bought 3 books last week: The Bookseller of Kabul, The Da Vinci Code and The Naked Politician. I have a feeling that Bookseller is going to be complete crap. Anyone want to correct me on this?

The point is, I only read 1 of the 3 I bought. The offer lures you into thinking that you're getting great value for money, when in reality you end up buying books you don't need.

What do ye all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Isn't that the point of all 3 for 2 offers, to shift unwanted stock and make people think they're getting a bargain? I can't see a big store doing a 3 for 2 out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

bookstores do 3for2s because they get the selected titles for a much bigger discount than normal.....some 3 for 2s can be really good....just depends what youre into. i loved bookseller of kabul i have to say. the waterstones & H&H 3for2s at the moment look very good, good mix of non-fiction and fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Waterstones 3 for 2s are better IMHO they do a much bigger range.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Waterstones (Jervis St Shopping Centre) have a 3 for 2 at the moment - I was quite happy with the books I bought. The selection isn't too wide but most of the books I seen with those stickers were books I've read / want to read.

Worth having a look if you're passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    ...they do a much bigger range.

I stand corrected. I obviously didn't see the entire range. The individual titles are better than Eason's though - I'm only sorry I went to Eason's first. :(

• Advertisement

The thing about Waterstones is the 3 for 2's are all over the place - different tables, behind little nooks and crannies etc. I could very well be wrong - because I'm kinda predjudiced against Eason's - its just not as nice an experience as Waterstones or Hodges and Figgis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

If we only had a Waterstone's here in Galway...
    If I had known that I was going to like The DVC by Dan Brown, I would have bought Angels and Demons (also on 3/2) at the same time. However, I bought A&D the other day along with Gulag: A History and The Taoiseach. (BTW:anyone read these?)

The worst thing I ever got on 3/2 was Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, which I later returned. It was sickeningly sweet.

Rredwell wrote:
    The worst thing I ever got on 3/2 was Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, which I later returned. It was sickeningly sweet.

:eek:
    Don't mention the War

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PandeB

3 for 2 offers are only good if you are an avid reader. Otherwise you are spending money on books you will rarely read.
    But I agree Waterstones have a much bigger selection than the other stores and they also have alot of the bestsellers on offer as well, so its not just reject books that nobody wants to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've found Waterstone's 3 for 2 to be really good if a bit of a drain on my finances. They have a very good mix of books up, nearly every section in the store has a couple of books in the 3 for 2 section.

As a reader i'm very varied in what sections i buy from for instance normally i'd get books from Fiction/History/Philosophy/Finance/Mathematics/Physics/Sci-Fi/Fantasy or Art.

Thus i can get alot of life out of a 3 for 2 offer.

But what i would suggest to people whose tastes tend to lie in a narrow field is that 3 for 2 offers allow you an excellent opportunity to try a new section (e.g non-fiction/travel etc) without having to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

amazon are doing a three for £12 stg thing at the moment, not quite the same thing, but some decent titles.

Advertisement