Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting a car to go abroad

Options
  • 16-08-2004 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Would it be possible for me to rent a car to go to France in for a week? Have a '92 car my self so would feel alot better with something thats unlikely to break down and maybe have air con...anyone done this or could let me know a rental company that would?

Duke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DukeDredd wrote:
    Hey all,
    Would it be possible for me to rent a car to go to France in for a week? Have a '92 car my self so would feel alot better with something thats unlikely to break down and maybe have air con...anyone done this or could let me know a rental company that would?

Duke
    I'm not sure. Rental companies generally only allow you to bring the vehicle into bordering countries, so NI in Ireland, Spain from France etc. How were you planning on going? Boat to Wales, then drive to France?

With the Chunnel, UK rental companies tend to allow you take the vehicle into the EU, but with surcharges. So you may be able to get a boat to the UK, then pick up your rental car and drive to France. If you're doing a booze run, you'll be able to take the car back to Ireland to drop off your stuff.

Funny that they won't allow you take an Irish car off the island.

I only checked one company though (Argus), maybe have a scout around.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Yip - it's gonna be a combined booze run and a few days chilling out over there also. I've sent an email to a few of them so awaiting replys. Guess i won't be surprised if none of them allow it.

Nope - can't seem to find any company that'll do it. If anyone has any info that would help me here i'd really appreciate it.

Duke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I tried all of them before and only AVIS allowed me to take the car as far as the UK and no further - I guess the steering wheel on the wrong side might add too high a risk. Why don't you get four star AA cover on your own car - its not like you are trying to get to Italy and should the worst happen you can get it shipped back full of wine....

'ceptr

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

it is probably cheaper to rent it abroad anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did you try these:
    http://www.jpmg.ie/truckvanrentalhome.htm
    With a small carvan, you'd get a good bit more booze in. ;)

I would think that Van rental places would be used to people taking their vehicles abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why don't you get four star AA cover on your own car

Yeah if you can't get a rental it is a good alternative. You won't need aircon for a few days...
    kbannon wrote:
    it is probably cheaper to rent it abroad anyway

The main point of the trip would be to carry the booze ;)
    seamus wrote:
    With a small carvan, you'd get a good bit more booze in. ;)

Make sure if you bring a lot back over, that you have something that backs up it 's for your own consumption. A booking confirmation of a wedding reception will do the trick :D

Won't explain the 20 cartons of fags though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Rent a car over there

And bring the car load of booze onto the ship as hand luggage in Roscoff? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Go to France as a foot passenger, or on a cheap flight, then hire a moving company to ship all your booze home as furniture.

• Advertisement

You're taking the p1ss right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Enterprise rent a van said this would be OK if I did it through a company rather than as a private individual, If you know someone with their own company maybe you can use their name and bring them back a case of wine as a thank you...

Also a van works better cus of the beefed up suspension. We nearly killed a polo doing the booze cruise (22 cases - 12 of them champagne). Thankfully we thought to go down in 2 cars and then transfered the load once off the ferry to the car we had left parked at Roslare (€3).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

DukeDredd wrote:
    And bring the car load of booze onto the ship as hand luggage in Roscoff? :D

If you don't want to drive your own car around France then drive over, leave your car at the port and rent a local one then trasfer the booze back to your own car and drive home. probably cost considerably less than hiring a car here aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

John R wrote:
    If you don't want to drive your own car around France then drive over, leave your car at the port and rent a local one then trasfer the booze back to your own car and drive home. probably cost considerably less than hiring a car here aswell.

:eek: Have you tried carrying 20 odd cases of booze through a ferry port!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

MadsL wrote:
    :eek: Have you tried carrying 20 odd cases of booze through a ferry port!!!!

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I meant take your own car over to France on the ferry, park it in the French port car park and rent a local car. On the way back park beside your own car, transfer the booze over, return the hire car and drive back onto the ferry. It involves almost no more driving of your own car then if you left it at Rosslare and it costs the same to take your car or a hire car on the ferry, it should cost less to hire a car in France and you will be hiring for less time because you will not need the hire for the crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

John R wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I meant take your own car over to France on the ferry, park it in the French port car park and rent a local car. On the way back park beside your own car, transfer the booze over, return the hire car and drive back onto the ferry. It involves almost no more driving of your own car then if you left it at Rosslare and it costs the same to take your car or a hire car on the ferry, it should cost less to hire a car in France and you will be hiring for less time because you will not need the hire for the crossings.

The third way :D

Would not have thought of that myself

Advertisement