Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kids playing with an 'air rifle' on the street

• 16-08-2004 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

I came home the other evening, and when I went into the house my mother and sisters were discussing the events of the evening. Apparently there was a group of 6 or 7 of the local kids (mostly about 14, 2 of them 17 or so)
    playing with a 'pellet gun' out on the road. Now I didn't see the pellet gun so I'm not sure if it was a proper air rifle or just a toy one. My mother, who grew up on a farm and so recognises and has a healthy respect for firearms says it was full-sized, like a .22 rifle.
    I think if I'd been there I'd have gone out to check the rifle and see exactly what it was.
    If it turned out that it was a real air rifle I'm not sure what I'd have done next. I could call the guards, I'd certainly be justified in doing that.

What would you have done?
    What do you think I should do if (when) it happens again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Did ye know any of the kids?? If ye just went out they would probably laugh at you. Or shoot you in the a$$.

I'm not sure what I would do tbh. I guess I would rather calling the guards than confront them. But I dont think that the guards would be much help either.

I guess in the end I would have gone out to them. Maybe with some a$$ padding of somesort...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Call the guards tbh. If it is a .177 or .22 air rifle it will do a damn lot of damage regardless of its velocity. In the wrong hands it could cause some horrible injury to an animal (highly likely!) or to some bystander being shot for the laugh. Having been shot with a .177 air pistol through a jacket the blister they leave are truely lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Call the guards. If it's licenced (highly unlikely I realise, but benefit of the doubt and all that), then it shouldn't be out and on the street like that; and if it's not it's illegal. And while an air rifle may not be as lethal as a cartridge rifle or shotgun, they can still inflict nasty injuries if abused.

And it's not like the gardai won't take it seriously, as the events in shankill showed.

Of course, if you know the lad involved and want to try to be diplomatic, you could always try the "quiet word with the parents" route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Thanks for that.

I think I'll try to find out which of them brought it along and have a chat with the parents. If there's any hassle with that then I'll ring the local guards.

Advertisement