Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Legislation?

Options
  • 16-08-2004 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

Sparks - you've mentioned in a few of your posts that there's new amendments to the firearms act in the pipeline. One change you mentioned was the gun cabinet one - you think that from christmas on it'll be mandatory to have a cabinet/safe?

I'm asking because I don't have one - I was thinking of getting one anyway ahead of getting a new shotgun for clay pigeon shooting. I figure that
    it'd be good to have it anyway and also to have before applying for a second license.

There was talk the last time they tried to introduce this that the local guards would inspect the safe and only then issue the license.
    Have you (or anyone else) been inspected? Do I just fit it and then ring them and invite them to view it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Not sure on what the plans are there.
    I got a safe as soon as I got a gun. Invited the local firearms officer to come and give me advice on positioning etc. He seemed please to be asked, but didn't call around... just advised not to draw attention to the fact that I have one and be discreet about carrying to and from the car.

On a personal note, I wouldnt have one without a safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The gun safes issue is pretty much sorted deranged, the Criminal Justice Bill 2004 has a catch-all in part 5 of the bill which amends several acts as a matter of expediency. One is the Firearms Act and it adds in a requirement for secure storage as a mandatory prerequisite for being issued with a licence. Now that doesn't specifically mean a gun safe, but you do have to satisfy the local superintendent and that will usually mean a safe in practical terms. And there's part of the amendment that talks about how the storage must be inspected by the superintendent or a garda acting for him, so odds are he'll call round to your house and take a peek at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

installing a safe properly is also important. try to fit it in a corner with the hinge side away from the wall. This will impede anybody trying to open it with a crowbar as they wont have leverage. also make sure its firmly secured and make sure its not left in a damp area of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sharp shot

i am father of 2 and i think every one should have one but when i went for 6.5 i had local sargent come to have alook i personnally dident mind but i made point known to her it was my house and not over the moon but let her in to make sure there was no hold up they can make things difficult

Advertisement