Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I lost my virginity at the weekend.

Options
  • 16-08-2004 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

Well - my battlefield virginity :D:p

I must say, I'm truly truly impressed by this game. I've gome from a long line of Unreal Tournament games, completely addicted to 'em. But this has just blown me away!

I have only to master landing an aircraft safely, and actually piloting a helicopter, and I'm fine :) A little trick I've found, is to take off (vertically of course :p) and turn towards my objective slightly, and then land again. Then do it again and again until i'm facing where I wanna go. Then I take off and fly straight :D very difficult to get the hang of that thing I tell ya!

Anyway, hi :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Which game Vietnam 1942 or Dc (i guess it can be classed as a game in its own right)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Sorry I forgot to mention it was - Desert Combat. my bad :)

Amazing level of detail - the physics and control system is unbelievable!

The choppers are crap beyond crappness but other than that its a decent game....Get vietnam :)

Well after many many many failed attempts at piloting them, I'm slowly getting the hang of how to fly em. My problem is that I can't just hover somewhere - I either go flying over the point, or crashing into it ;)

And I'm not gonna get veitnam just yet - I'll try it online and see what community is like multiplayer *edited*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Welcome zoro.

Firstly, its very difficult to hover choppers in DC. It'll take you awhile before you can even do it a little bit.

Also please read the charter regarding warez. Discussion of unlegit copies of games isn't actually allowed.

Have fun playing :)
    [oh, and get Vietnam]

• Advertisement

Firstly, its very difficult to hover choppers in DC. It'll take you awhile before you can even do it a little bit.
    I know :)
    Also please read the charter regarding warez. Discussion of unlegit copies of games isn't actually allowed.
    I know :) (this isn't the first board I've used on boards.ie :p)However as it was not really a discussion but more a statement that it has led me to want to buy the full game I didnt think it would matter .... I'll edit the post in question though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Thanks.
    Sorry to be such a dick about it, but our orders come from higher place :)

Technically there was nothing wrong with my post - but now I'm just being a pedant :) You're the admin, and that's that :p

"Warez
    The posting of information which can cause the illegal copying of games is not allowed. This includes serial keys, crack files or actual copied CDs or CD files."

In my case, a brief play on a warez'd copy is leading me to buying the real thing :) not the other way around :p

Either way, Choppers = cool, piloting = hard, Battlefield = f*cking great :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

It looks pretty cool alright. Never got around to playing it myself. Bah. If/when I get a graphics card that's not onboard I'll give it a go.

:) Posts: 666 on that post Dan. Heh.

Kinda wish I'd fired it up while I had the loan of that graphics card now. Damn.

halenger wrote:
    If/when I get a graphics card that's not onboard I'll give it a go.
    I'm using an onboard GeForce2 Mx podge :) It'll run on yours fine I'd say ... but just turn down all the settings :p
    :) Posts: 666 on that post Dan. Heh.
    Not any more :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

bizmark wrote:
    The choppers are crap beyond crappness but other than that its a decent game....Get vietnam :)

i dunno i always kinda liked the choppers in DC, though can't fly em properly at all now after all the nam playing........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The choppers in DC required a lot more skill and practive to be able to fly. With battlefield vietnam the choppers are stupidly easy to fly [but an expieranced pilot can still take any other pilot to school].

I miss DC.

You miss the stupidty unrealistic chopper phyics ?

bizmark wrote:
    You miss the stupidty unrealistic chopper phyics ?

in a word, yes.

it made it a challange, and so much so that you knew anyone who'd even attempt getting into the pilot seat had to know what they were doing or they'd crash in 2 seconds.....not so in nam, everyone feels like having a go....(earlier dc was better where twas even harder ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

\DC choppers were a skill indeed , one i did not possess.

Zoro play vanilla BF for a bit its kill king of the BFs.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    \DC choppers were a skill indeed , one i did not possess.
    Zoro play vanilla BF for a bit its kill king of the BFs.
    Funnily enough, I haven't even bother to load it up yet :) I'm totally hooked on DC! :D

I've even noticed myself, and this is hard for me to say......., play LESS Unreal Tournament because of this game!!!! *faints* :)
    I'm still trying to master the choppers - I'm finally getting the hang of it, but it's taking some amount of practice ;) I doubt it's a popular vehicle online, but if used by an experienced pilot it's probably one of the most useful and deadly vehicles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

zoro. try vietnam. its the db. is is easy to get these going on res in dcu?

Yeah it's simple to do that - but opening ANY ports other than 8080 (proxy) and 22 (ssh - redbrick) is frowned upon as far as I know. Plu sof course your MSN/Yahoo/ICQ and the other stuff that they allow, but it's highly highly highly restrictive.

As far as HOSTING a game goes, I remember reading somewhere that no servers whatsoever are allowed to listen on any port while connected to the dcu network. That's what I remember anyway. They never enforce it, but could shut u down if they saw you hosting a game/webserver/ssh server!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Local servers are usually going around on rez, not internet ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

zoro wrote:
    Funnily enough, I haven't even bother to load it up yet :) I'm totally hooked on DC! :D

Thats blasphemy , seriously BF42 vanilla is the best online game ever made, if you like ww2 themed games its simply awesome.

kdjac

• Advertisement

I've never played any WW2 games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ok have BF1942, DC and BFV but have never really got into the games themselves....have tried on single player but Im not the best! can get a gud enough kill rate! is the best way to get into the game just loggin on server even though Im more or less useless!!

Ok have BF1942, DC and BFV but have never really got into the games themselves....have tried on single player but Im not the best! can get a gud enough kill rate! is the best way to get into the game just loggin on server even though Im more or less useless!!

yeah come on navan, ye'd be surprised at the random kills ye get even if yer crap.....
    (just don't take any heli's on me if ye can't fly em.....)

Triceradon wrote:
    yeah come on navan, ye'd be surprised at the random kills ye get even if yer crap.....
    (just don't take any heli's on me if ye can't fly em.....)

I can fly heli's straight up do a few circles and head first into ground :D must go for job in army! will log in tonite or tomor wit footie on tonite! BFV or BF1942 is better?

I can fly heli's straight up do a few circles and head first into ground :D must go for job in army! will log in tonite or tomor wit footie on tonite! BFV or BF1942 is better?

well bf nam is newer, and more popular at the moment, so your better off trying to play it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Damn, i havent played vietnam since i got doom 3...ill have to get back into it before i get rusty..er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

bizmark wrote:
    But if he can fly these pieces of **** he should have no problum with flying a huey in nam. Zoro my advice is to think about what your doing, DC is so crap that when i played it the other day i knew i was never going to touch it again. Vietnam is a far better game and you will like it more becuase when you fly a chopper it really feels like your flying a heavy piece of equipment weres in DC its like your joystick or mouse pad is on a block of ice!!

Started online earlier! sorry but abit of a disaster! named as Big Nelly! was firing at wrong people and everything! haha! give me a week and I will be flyin! promise :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

zoro wrote:
    I've never played any WW2 games :)
    How did you never play a ww2 game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Started online earlier! sorry but abit of a disaster! named as Big Nelly! was firing at wrong people and everything! haha! give me a week and I will be flyin! promise :rolleyes:

I think it was pretty much the same for me too. i first started playin in a net cafe and the first game i played was DC .3 and i was instantly hooked on it!!

Advertisement