Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Offaly People...

• 16-08-2004 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

I don't know if this is the right forum to be posting in, if its not i apologise and please move to appropriate page as i feel this is a very important issue and dont know where else to air it.

I'm incensed with anger, I have a friend who got a good job in Tullamore Co. Offaly. Unfortunately for him, going there was a bad idea as he is british and a line of verbal and physical abuse was insued upon him for being so. He was jumped on twice, punched and verbal all because he was a brit, he didnt "rise" anyone just kept himself to himself but by hearing his accent they attacked.

However he is Irish in every way its just his accent. Also wearing another county jersey got him abused and punched with the guy coming up saying "this is for [insert players name here]" and punched him.

The younger age group accept him no bother its the older guys 45+ who have carried out this behaviour.

I cannot believe in this day and age that people are like this, now he has had to leave the good job as he cannot put up with any more of this nonsense.

I'm absolutely enraged at the people of Tullamore, I have always liked the offaly people but now my view has changed somewhat. (although I'll still have time for the 20 somethings as they were very nice to me while i was there visiting). I'm also shocked that this sort of thing is allowed to go on. :mad: :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

BIFFOs :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

cg
    it might be a good idea if you read the charter regarding the type of posts you can set up here
    this is a forum for people with personal issues

I'm moving this to After Hours
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

uhhhhmmm dont you know tullamore is a knacker infested scum bucket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

aah tullamore ain't that bad, i lived there for a few years when i was in primary school....its just like any other town really. jeez i have noticed that on boards people really seem to have beef with travellers..whats up with that?.i dunno i just think it's kind of mean calling them ''knackers''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

travelers/tinkers/knackers/dirty bastards
    whatever ya wanna call em
    theyd stab you in the eye for a euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'll fight cha fir a pound

/end knacker accent

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

someone take the tar and brush from that girl
    You think that that type of behavour is localised to offaly alone. I'd say it happens everywhere and to just say you are going to dislike offaly people just because of one groups actions is a bit unfair.
    I am travelling at the moment and I see that type of discrimination everywhere. Espically from the british on the irish over here (oz). You hear all types of abuse, such as 'go back to our forgotten colony'.
    I hear stories all the time about people from the country getting abused to hell in dublin by some groups, thats no different either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

i do not think that behaviour is localised to tullamore itself. portlaois (i am from portlaoise) has similiars occurences (forgive my spelling). and i daresay similiar goes on in the UK towards the irish as well.

so what is the point of this thread again!?

--laoisfan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

TomTom wrote:
    someone take the tar and brush from that girl
    You think that that type of behavour is localised to offaly alone. I'd say it happens everywhere and to just say you are going to dislike offaly people just because of one groups actions is a bit unfair.
    I am travelling at the moment and I see that type of discrimination everywhere. Espically from the british on the irish over here (oz). You hear all types of abuse, such as 'go back to our forgotten colony'.
    I hear stories all the time about people from the country getting abused to hell in dublin by some groups, thats no different either.
    If the brits are giving you grief over there - just remind them that there
    Great British Empire has been reduced to nothing more than a snivelling lackey to Uncle Sam. That chasing the yankee doller has kept them out of the Euro and now they're shafted.

tbh people that give abuse like that are not worth the effort of a respose. There was one night in kings cross one of the lads was telling me that and english guy told him he was just one of 'his' colonists in another of his colonies. There was an aussie guy behind him and he thumped him for the comment.

• Advertisement

also while i think of it, this should probably be in the regional section, in midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

Speaking as someone born and bread in Offaly it is a shtihole. However that said, the people are generally nice (especially those of us who no longer live there ;) ). The problem with Tullamore is that it does have a lot of scum but they generally stay hidden until a saturday night. Even then behaviour may not be the result of Tullamore scum as the scum from the surrounding towns also descend on Tullamore at the weekend. It's generally ok but just don't go to Supermacs.....ever! my 2 cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I heard it was offaly nice down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

tomtom's right...

i got picked on when i was younger because i was a country boy going to school in a dublin school. Now i'm in a English university and there is a similar group (not as big as the dublin crowd) who go at me becuase i'm irish (the 6 nations resulted in me being banned from the uni pub for my own safety) thankfully they've whimpered down. But there are people everywhere who will hate you because of your nationalty/race/skin colour/religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Im from Laois and im afraid to say that this is happening all over the place in the midlands especially I dunno what it is about us down here but an awful lot of people here earn us the ignorant culchie tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well im from tullamore and i dont agree with u that all ppl from offaly are the same .

naturally im sorry for your friend its a pitty that that did happen . which pub was it that he was working in ? i know a good few ppl from england working in tullamore and cant say that anyone of them have had any probloms that i know of

i doubt that this is just somthing that happens in tullamore . im sure that there are ppl with racial probloms in every part of the globe ( yep that includes ireland )

did your friend report any of the said incidents to the cops after they had happened its not the said and done thing anywhere .

but alas like tomtom said its happening to him by brits in oz and as BlitzKrieg said its happening to him in london .

its a world wide thing u can live with it .. or if they physicaly harm u u can report them to the cops for it
    travelers/tinkers/knackers/dirty bastards
    whatever ya wanna call em
    theyd stab you in the eye for a euro
    ur just like the guys that hit country_gurl's friend

maybe its more obvous in offaly and laois due to smaller population so it's noticed more, also they are the two poorest counties in ireland so a certain element can breed in that environment. I'm not trying to lable anyone here btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

YAAR, sure he's only a feckin blow in!
    *scratches arse, picks nose*

Like has been said above, you'll get idiots like this everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

F**kin redneck bogger scum. But sadly Offaly's not the only place this goes on. I suppose he could make an example of the next person who gives him ****, but why should he lower himself to the level of under-educated inbreds by resorting to violence against those who are different?

Advertisement