Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will MAN do for a town?

• 16-08-2004 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

How will towns (business and residents) benefit from having a Metropolitan Area Network? Will it give the public an alternative to ADSL and what speeds can we expect?

Thanks,

Valentia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Valentia wrote:
    How will towns (business and residents) benefit from having a Metropolitan Area Network? Will it give the public an alternative to ADSL and what speeds can we expect?
    A MAN will have almost zero impact on the availability of consumer or retail broadband in a town. Potentially, it will make it cheaper for a Wireless ISP, if and when there's one available, to provide service, because they'll be able to get cheaper backhaul, and businesses that are currently paying a couple of grand a month for leased line services will probably benefit too, and business in industrial estates that are adjacent to a MAN may also benefit but MANs do absolutely nothing, zip, zero to address the issue of last mile delivery.

Forget about MANs - they are a red herring trotted out by politicians who don't know their arses from their elbows when it comes to modern technology.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ripwave wrote:
    ... it will make it cheaper for a Wireless ISP ... to provide service, because they'll be able to get cheaper backhaul ... but MANs do absolutely nothing, zip, zero to address the issue of last mile delivery.
    Little bit of internal inconsistency there, rw. Whatever about commercial wireless providers, backhaul is the biggest obstacle to the provision of community broadband (trust me, I know of what I speak). Cheaper backhaul is the holy grail (I know, Adam, I know) for an alternative last mile.
    Ripwave wrote:
    Forget about MANs - they are a red herring trotted out by politicians who don't know their arses from their elbows when it comes to modern technology.
    We'll see. e-Net have promised "disruptive" pricing. If that's more than marketing-speak, things are about to get interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

oscarBravo wrote:
    Little bit of internal inconsistency there, rw. Whatever about commercial wireless providers, backhaul is the biggest obstacle to the provision of community broadband (trust me, I know of what I speak).
    No inconsistency. MANs do not deliver residential broadband. Period.

If there's a group of people willing to do make a go of a community broadband scheme, then a MAN makes it a little bit easier, but MANs don't guarantee that such schemes will suddenly come into existence. I wouldn't be holding my breath for a community broadband scheme in most of the areas served by a MAN. (But then, I'm a cynical Dub, so what would I know ;). I'd love to be proved wrong on this, but I don't expect to be).
    oscarBravo wrote:
    e-Net have promised "disruptive" pricing. If that's more than marketing-speak, things are about to get interesting.
    You can disrupt a lot when you're competing against €5k/month leased lines. They still won't be deliverying the last mile.

Advertisement