Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do men know when women.....

• 16-08-2004 5:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Do men notice if women are only interested in them if they have a big bank balance ?
    To give you an example I was out with a couple of friends over the weekend and were meeting up with friends over from London for the weekend now a particular friend of mine generally tends to go for guys who have a certain bank balance, all night she was complaining of not feeling great and was going to head home one of the English guys was interested in her but she wasn't interested in him when she thought he had a low paid job, it then came to light that he infact was quite wealthy and low and behold she suddenly felt fine and proceeded to flirt/snog him for the rest of the night. Everyone else in the group could see the sudden turnaround but the guy in question. Do guys see this and is there anything wrong with it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Did he see it? Perhaps...

Did he care? Hell no...

Is there a difference? Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

I have to say your friend is a bit on the shallow side!!! & She must not have much respect for herself if she will only go for a guy with money,what about having your own money girls!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Let's see, sex for money.....

There's a word for that isn't there?

Sleipnir wrote:
    Let's see, sex for money.....

There's a word for that isn't there?

Nail on the head there sleipnir!!! ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

BM
    please read the CHARTER regarding the type of thread you can post in this forum
    off to After Hours
    B

sorry monty

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

ravenhead wrote:
    I have to say your friend is a bit on the shallow side!!! & She must not have much respect for herself if she will only go for a guy with money,what about having your own money girls!!!!!

Not all girls are like that and I for one am not, in fact it tends to intimidate me too much if they are very well off. Yeah she is on the shallow side and it really really annoys me but maybe she doesn't conciously do it . There is another guy she is kinda seeing who is now working aborad she isn't that pushed but let him pay to fly her over there for weekends etc . She isn't sleeping with these guys so don't go down that route but I believe if girls thought a guy was with them for a particular reason it would put them off but guys just don't seem to care .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

....once again Zulu sings:

Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money!

...and earns more negative reputation points!

Not all girls are like that and I for one am not, in fact it tends to intimidate me too much if they are very well off. Yeah she is on the shallow side and it really really annoys me but maybe she doesn't conciously do it . There is another guy she is kinda seeing who is now working aborad she isn't that pushed but let him pay to fly her over there for weekends etc . She isn't sleeping with these guys so don't go down that route but I believe if girls thought a guy was with them for a particular reason it would put them off but guys just don't seem to care .

Maybe it's just her way ... speaking from a girls point of view it really annoys me... I like to pay my way in my relationship... I mean I don't make a big deal out of it but I would take a piss out of my b/f when it comes to money & most guys will notice things like that but if she is willing to go off with a guy because he has money he isn't really going to say no now is he??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

My boyfriend is what you'd call "well off".. And i knew that before i was with him. Made me uncomfortable at first & i always insisted on me paying for my own things. Like if we went to the cinema, i'd offer to pay for both of us. In the pub, we'd do every 2nd round. I think its SAD though if people go after guys with money. Imagine how the guy would feel if he found out. Just imagine, they got together & he LOST it all, what would the girl do then.. Ugh, this makes me mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

she wasn't interested in him when she thought he had a low paid job, it then came to light that he infact was quite wealthy and low and behold she suddenly felt fine and proceeded to flirt/snog him for the rest of the night

WHORE

that is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

I'll second that,

gold digger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Gotta say, while this is a disgusting activity, it's no different from being interested in someone because they're a jock, or in a band or whatever, all of which are the compeltely wrong reasons to be interested in someone, but in all cases it bespokes someone who has a very low opinion of themselves, and people in general, and is probably fairly unhappy, GO KARMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is your wealth not part and parcel of you? Why is it ok to go with someone because they are attractive but it is so frowned upon because they have money. What about women who only like men with a big penis or who are good lovers? Or womena who go with men who dress well or have a nice car?

I think you all had wanna get over yourselfs a little.. Everyone does something similar, maybe not with money but whats the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Do men notice if women are only interested in them if they have a big bank balance ?
    To give you an example I was out with a couple of friends over the weekend and were meeting up with friends over from London for the weekend now a particular friend of mine generally tends to go for guys who have a certain bank balance, all night she was complaining of not feeling great and was going to head home one of the English guys was interested in her but she wasn't interested in him when she thought he had a low paid job, it then came to light that he infact was quite wealthy and low and behold she suddenly felt fine and proceeded to flirt/snog him for the rest of the night. Everyone else in the group could see the sudden turnaround but the guy in question. Do guys see this and is there anything wrong with it ?

Some guys notice & don't care as long as she'll jump in the sack. Then there are some of us who notice & can spot the gold-diggers a mile off, & then there are those who are totally oblivious & caught up in their own self-inflicted belief of their own niceness & let b*****s like that walk all over them...... the hole may be the goal, but not all of us are gullible enough to fall for sack-chasers who bat an eyelid & make with the a$$.....

::: ven0mous :::

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

To be honest I'd sleep with a girl if she only wanted my money. But then I'd treat her like sh*t. The used becomes the user, the circle of life is complete.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

women who do that have no self respect for them selve's, tbh,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's one of my biggest pet hates about Ireland. These type of women are becoming more and more common to the point that if I had any money, I'd definitely keep it a secret around prospective partners. believe it or not, I've actually been asked how much I earn within 5 minutes of starting talking to a girl in a well-known Dublin late bar. Needless to say I've never gone back, nor, I'd wager would I be welcome after the dressing down I gave that poor prostitute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

It seems pretty bad alright. I could not in conscience stay friends with someone because she was constantly checking their bank balance before she considered dating them - another ex-friend dated someone so that he could do her college projects for her. But then again, I admit to refusing to go out with a guy unless he has a high IQ, so maybe I am just as bad...I also used to have a thing that they had to be at least 5ft 11inches tall and university graduates...people do change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

now what i would like to know...

Would she have still gone with him for his money if he was as ugly as horse**** and overwieght (ignoring personality at mo)

people always go on about how money can cheapen relationships turning it into he with the bucks gets the F*cks... but all the other factors still come into it. imagine the the male version of the women who died on the coach( other post). now imagine she was a multi millionaire...would you still think your friend with hit on that person for their money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

CathyMoran wrote:
    But then again, I admit to refusing to go out with a guy unless he has a high IQ.

That's perfectly acceptable. Intelligence is 80% of a personality.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote:

Would she have still gone with him for his money if he was as ugly as horse**** and overwieght (ignoring personality at mo)

people always go on about how money can cheapen relationships turning it into he with the bucks gets the F*cks... but all the other factors still come into it. imagine the the male version of the women who died on the coach( other post). now imagine she was a multi millionaire...would you still think your friend with hit on that person for their money?
    Well, given the short life expectancy, it's quite possible. Just look at Anna Nicole Smith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How many girls in here have been told by their parents to find a wealthy man and settle down..? Honestly, whether you thought they were kidding or not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

How many girls in here have been told by their parents to find a wealthy man and settle down..? Honestly, whether you thought they were kidding or not..

i don't think any good parent would expect that from their daughter.. surely they would rather they were happy.. it was never even brought up in my house..

BlitzKrieg wrote:

Well that's the thing that particularly annoys me about this friend(and I have pointed this out to her ) if she has met someone new she will always start the conversation with something along the lines of " Well you wouldn't fancy him now but he drives a BMW " or something along those lines .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Marry one and find out! ;)

(sorry, honey, I didn't mean that...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Do guys see this and is there anything wrong with it ?

I obviously can't answer for the guys but do think its not right to judge whether or not to go out with someone just because they don't earn enough. I would hate to have to depend on any man for money. I was in quite a few situations where I was asked out by very wealthy men but no way. I'd have to fancy someone before I could even snog him never mind sleep with them. I would feel like a prostitute. Guess some people are just really shallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

is the guy not being shallow as well? I blame sex in the city for this love as a commodity factor im seeing more and more of.

red vex wrote:
    is the guy not being shallow as well? I blame sex in the city for this love as a commodity factor im seeing more and more of.
    here here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Sex and the city, uuuaaggghhhhh. (Zulu shivers uncontrollably) Give me a rifle and a time machine please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

****ing gold diggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

One of my mates tells women the greatest pack of lies about himself, shares in this shares in that, holiday homes, cars, rich parents... and they fall for it everytime...very funny really. you just need to play with them at their own game.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

One of my mates tells women the greatest pack of lies about himself, shares in this shares in that, holiday homes, cars, rich parents... and they fall for it everytime...very funny really. you just need to play with them at their own game.

Yeah I know a guy who does that, its hillarious to see the look on a girls face
    when he tells her the truth at the end of the night or the next day.. they usually do a runner straight away.. tis f*cking hillarious..

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Yeah I know a guy who does that, its hillarious to see the look on a girls face
    when he tells her the truth at the end of the night or the next day.. they usually do a runner straight away.. tis f*cking hillarious..

Can we introduce them .....Would love to see her face :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

ah yes all men and women have their foibles..personally i don't give two bloody hoots about a mans financial status, i am going to college in september to get a good job and be independent, i ain't gonna be whimpering after any guy for money... not my style, thats for the loooww girls and unfortunately there are plenty of them. in the end, nothing is more satisfying than knowing you are in charge of your own sh-it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cough, prenuptial agreement, cough.

...tricky one really – tends to piss some off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

monument wrote:
    Cough, prenuptial agreement, cough.

...tricky one really – tends to piss some off.

It is very unromantic, but lawyers say if one party in a marriage has significantly greater assets and earning potential than the other, he/she is a FOOL not to insist upon a pre-nup.

If I ever get asked how much I make in a bar I am going to lie and say I'm unemployed or a PhD student in philosophy or something. I think I hate gold-diggers more than anything. Dublin (at the least the 'trendy' bars) is FULL of those sort, with their lovely orange skin and obviously fake blonde hair. Newsflash for those people: I lived in California for over 4 years, yes, the women are amazingly beautiful, but no, you don't look like them! It is like Irish girls using a really deep fake tan to try to emulate Halle Berry - yes, she is a goddess, no, you don't look anything like her, no matter how hard you try!

I can see why it is seen as unromantic, but – as you said - for some it’s a needed evil. The tricky part is the possibility of scaring away the non-gold-diggers.

Personally, although ideally I’d like to keep money and other matters separate, I haven’t got anywhere near the point where I’d need to think about such things. However, if I was to win a few million in the lotto on Wednesday, the answer would probably be 'lawyer, could you get one of them things ready for me'.

AFAIK, a prenup holds no sway in the Irish courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think Women who are like that are 'Low Life Losers' trying to get an easy ride regardles of how friendly and sound or what not they come across to be.There really is no hope for them to be truely happy in a relationship either if it's based on money.Though I would blame the absolute f-cking idiots thats falls for it more than the gold diggers.

Sleepy wrote:
    AFAIK, a prenup holds no sway in the Irish courts.

Was thing there might be some problems, but are you sure they hold absolutely no sway?

• Advertisement

As I said, I'm not entirely sure but an ex who was studying family law at the time told me as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

If a woman's response changed after I told her what I earned I would not be impressed. How shallow can you get. At least physical attraction is a biological response. Gold-digging is pure cold-minded calculation.
    Lainey wrote:
    i don't think any good parent would expect that from their daughter.. surely they would rather they were happy.. it was never even brought up in my house..

Unfortunately it does happen (personal experience). Some families tie financial stability to happiness. While it may play a certain part, it certainly cannot be the be all and end all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

prenups are little more than worthless in ireland with the law at the mo

Advertisement