Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your pet hate in traffic!!!

Options
  • 16-08-2004 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

This may well end up a sticky some day!!

I'll start the list so:

1. Mammies in huge four-wheel-drives on the school run
    2. 18yo primates in kitted-out Nissan Micras
    3. Kiddoes on souped-up 50cc scooters, no gloves, helmets dangling from arm, doing wheelies, breaking all rules & generally being as much a*holes as they can

Go on then!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

People who don't know how to use a roundabout, and people who don't know what indicators are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

People using the RIGHT TURN lane at traffic lights to skip Queues and go straight
    Merc Drivers that don't acknowledge anyone when you let them in ( i've stopped)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The caterpiller effect! When one or more drivers in a line of traffic is slow to
    get moving or brakes 'cause they wer'nt looking ahead and the caterpillar builds back along the line until someone rear ends the guy in front. When you're driving at 5 mph there is NO EXCUSE!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

People that see that you'd like to get into a certain lane, yet they drive straight past. Hate ignorant drivers.
    People who speed up the inside lane (coz its free), then cut in once the traffic starts moving in your lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Rubbernecking.

Was stuck in very bad traffic on the lucan road going on to the M50 on saturday.
    Crawled onto the M50 to see a car pulled over with the bonnet open.

After passing the car? Plain sailing, no traffic.

People forget that when you slow down 5 mph, the guy behind will slow 6-7 mph, the guy behind him 10 mph and so on for 500 cars.
    REALLY pisses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

People driving up my arse thinking that they can bully me into going faster.
    People who won't speed up when I drive up their arse. ;)

Adding to TmB's post: People on roundabouts who don't know how to indicate their intentions. Either by not indicating their intention to go past the 2nd exit or by leaving their right-hand indicator on all the way round and not indicating their intention to leave the roundabout.

People at the Express toll-booth holding everyone up while they search for change. Aaaargghhh!!

Those idiots with a cigarette in one hand and a mobile phone in the other while driving.

I could go on and on but I feel my blood pressure rising already! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

(1) People driving continuously in the overtaking lane on Motorways (esp those that do so at a constant 55 to 60mph)

(2) People driving in the inside lane blocking those who want to feed out on the motorway (a contradiction to 1 above - but common sense should prevail)

(2) Incorrect use of lanes & indicators on roundabouts

(3) People failing to acknowledge when let out in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Fog lights. Especially on buses (against Dublin Bus policy too)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Danni wrote:
    People who speed up the inside lane (coz its free), then cut in once the traffic starts moving in your lane.

You're not talking about a Motorway or Dual carriageway, are you? The inside/ regular lane should never be free when the outside/ overtaking lane is full - it should be the other way around. If everyone is stuck in the overtaking lane I see no problem in using the regular lane to overtake them. They should not be in the overtaking lane if the regular lane is free...
    Anyway, my pet hate, not really regarding traffic is people who can't park inside their white box. Especially girls in those tiny Fiats 500s - you could park those things sideways in some parking spaces. Grr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Women who don't ever let anyone out and sail on through like they are the only people on the road that really matter.

Oh and those F**king spastics that find themselves stuck in trafic on a roundabout and blocking a whole f**king other road from using the rest of siad roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

over cautious drivers
    merc and beamer drivers
    courier bikers

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

People who drive 45mph on the open road, then come to a town and continue doing 45mph right through it.

ando wrote:
    merc....drivers

Grrrrrrrrrrr!
    :mad:

edit> I wuz Grrrr-ing ando, not Merc drivers being one myself. :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

An indicator is not just for Christmas people!!! fair comment TmB

also people TEXTING while driving! (new fad)

people who don't check there mirrors!! (see my latest post!)

drivers who indicate left off a sideroad when your on the main road and keep edging slowly so you'll let em out and then they scream abuse at you when you don't!

Lorry's driving up your ass and flashing the lights in the back window when youre going 60!(always thought all of them were safe drivers, naive!)

women who insist on doing there hair at the END of a light thats red ages, and then get annoyed when they'res progressive beeping behind them (and dont check the light, so the light goes red again!!!! more than one occasion people!)

thats all i can think of at da mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

The dozey idiots in queue of traffic who think they own the queue and feel free to let every chancer coming out of a side road in ahead of them ( and the rest of us ) even though the people coming from the side roads are for the most part people who have take rat-runs to enable them to jump the queue!!. "Hate tha'!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Actually, get this...

Just the other day I saw a woman in a red "spruced up" corsa driving happily along with her wing mirrors retracted and pointing in and her rear veiw mirror pointing at herself! And she wasn't doing her makeup or anything, that's obviously just the way she drives.

sure isn't that driver more important Clown man? screw the other ppl behind her!
    Ernests right, I can deal with a car in front letting one person in.... 2's the limit alright!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

kaiphas wrote:
    2) Incorrect use of lanes & indicators on roundabouts

(3) People failing to acknowledge when let out in front of you.

I agree with above. Also people who drive up your rear urging you to go faster, or drivers who have headlights on when behind you. They'll dip them for oncoming traffic, but as soon as traffic passes, they put heads back on again! ARGH!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Two things really piss me off, although neither is specifically while I'm in traffic:

1. "Baby on Board" signs. Do I really give a crap about whether your little precious is in the car with you or not? No, I don't, but that doesn't mean I'm going to try to rear-end those cars that don't have a sign in the back window. As far as I can make out, the only point of those signs is to let the world know that another pair of idiots have extended their stupidity into the collective gene pool.

2. Women drivers at junctions when I'm a pedestrian. This is actually borne out of 10 years of personal experience as there was a junction with a one-way street coming on to a very busy road just down from where our office used to be that I crossed at least twice a day. Invariably there would be cars at the junction, and most of the time the driver at the head of the queue would wave pedestrians across before driving off. The exception was when there was a woman in front. When that happened the driver usually either a) didn't see (or ignored) you as you were crossing and tried to run you over, or b) edged forward every time you made an attempt to cross the road, thereby forcing you closer to the traffic they were trying to join. Actually, now that I think of it, women drivers rarely let me out of car parks, etc. ahead of them, even if there are red lights and they can't go anywhere themselves. Any women drivers care to explain this behavious to me?

Something that ticks me off is when ppl pull up at a junction from a side road/driveway etc look right, towards me then just as I start make room for them they look at the sky, thier nails, the rearview mirror. Almost anything except where they should be looking - AT ME! If I can I'll give them every chance but sometimes they just don't deserve to be let out...

Mike.

• Advertisement

drivers who have no clue what they're doing and shouldn't be on the road!....
    see my post here !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

There are too many to list and my wife does half of them to such an extent that I wont get into a car with her driving.....

Main ones.... people going to the third exit of roundabouts in the outside lane, usually with no indicator :rolleyes: (my wife thankfully doesnt do this)

Caravans and all forms of mobile homes .... people turn completely overcautious when they are attached to their car.... (I know a certain degree of caution is needed but just drive the ring of kerry in summer and you'll see overcautious caravan drivers enough to drive you insane)

Tourist drivers, 20 mph around the tiniest corner then 70 on the straight stretches... natural habitat would seem to be clustered around the caravans mentioned above causing an impassible slow moving obstruction

Tractors and slow moving drivers that dont pull in to leave a heap of following cars pass

Similar to above .... JCB's holding up rush hour traffic ... drive at some other time you daft bollixes .. there was a few weeks straight there where I was getting (along with a lot of other people) caught behind a JCB at 7:30am .... same JCB, same ignorant bastard driver....

Large cement trucks (John A Woods etc) leaving a trail of cement behind them .... there is a line of it down through the middle of Ballincollig, its like driving on cobblestones ... was there about 2 weeks after they last resurfaced the road....

Trucks making shlt of roads and paying less road tax than I am (this is still the case isnt it?) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Cars with one dim or dead headlight and the other one taking yer fcuking head off, seeing this more and more lately, especially busses?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Most of the above, especially (in order of badness):

1. General ignorance / incompetence

2. Motorway overtaking lane clogged up by cars not overtaking

3. Indication on roundabouts. More specific I don't even get too irate with people going three quarters (turning right) without indicating at all :rolleyes: What p1sses me off more are people not indicating when going one quarter (turning left) with me stopping to yield right of way. Had they indicated, I could have progressed :mad:
    ando wrote:
    merc and beamer drivers

Nice sweeping statement there ando :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Drivers who blatantly speed down the Lucan bypass, outbound before The Foxhunter at 50/60mph, and me noticing the Gatso on the bridge at 44mph.

Those idiots that take up 2 parking spaces in a busy carpark, namely the one directly outside the Ster Century cinema at Liffey Valley.

Drivers going the wrong way around Liffey Valley, when there is clearly arrows on the damn road.

People who continue to walk directly in front of you, while you look for a parking space in Liffey Valley.

People who get into cars in carparks and sit in them for 5 mins, knowing quite well that someone is waiting to use the space.

Drivers with no lights on, in light fog/heavy fog, light rain/heavy rain. Do you really think you can be seen?

Drivers with no seatbelt, and front passenger with none, and children jumping up and down in the back with definity no seatbelt.

Drivers who hestitate to move off from the a green light.

Pig ignorant plebs that dont give a thanks when you let when pull out for a sideroad or parking space or whatever.

Drivers who break the law period, and get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

Occupying the overtaking lane for miles in order to be in position for eventual exit.
    Have never managed to do the South Link Road in Cork without encountering someone on the outside lane while the inside lane free.
    Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Drivers waiting to come out of a side road, or pedestrians waiting to cross, who look at you, hesitate, look around, then look at you again, and decide to go, when it's no longer safe to do so.

And yes, Liffey Valley's car park is where you find them all - people not watching, driving the wrong way up well-marked aisles, oblivious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

"World went and got itself in a awful hurry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The most dangerous people on the road are those who get into a tizzy about others' driving. People make mistakes. Live with it.

Years ago I took a lift with an RTE cameraman driving across the country. As he drove, his van was surrounded by idiots carving him up, tailgating him, swerving across lanes without indicating, beeping rudely, etc, etc.

He just kept calm and kept driving. After a couple of hours I burst out: "Don't you get furious at all the idiots on the road?"

He laughed. Then he said: "When I started in this job they sent me on an advanced driving course. The first thing I was taught was 'defensive driving'. This means treating other road users just the same as you treat other factors on the road - obstacles, traffic lights, road signs and so on. And not getting emotional about it - just keeping your attention both directly in front of you and 100 yards on."

He was the best driver I've ever seen - and the reason was that he was driving his own car, not worrying about what anyone else was doing, except in terms of predicting driver behaviour unemotionally, and driving accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

mike65 wrote:
    Grrrrrrrrrrr!
    :mad:

edit> I wuz Grrrr-ing ando, not Merc drivers being one myself. :D

Mike.

Mike - acknowledge the rest of us when we let you into traffic ;);)

Advertisement