Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Envelope

Options
  • 16-08-2004 5:19pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When you open your envelope, right, there is just the grade you got, right. They dont calculate your points for you.

So, as soon as you open it, besides the, "what did I get what did I get" effect, actually having to do maths. How DREADFUL is that?

I have my page with all the marks written out. Ready to go.

I think I might not even look at what I got in what subject, I might just add up the points, see how I did, then worry bout the rest.

I DUNNo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

That's just godawful cruel of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

Yep just the grade A1, A2 etc.. Make sure your mobile has a calculator or else bring one with you. Dont even try & add the figures up yourself coz your mind will be all over the place that you might add on an extra 50 points & then be disappointed 5 mins later when you realise you didnt make the course you wanted.. Happened to a friend of mine, so be careful!
    Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Bring a calculator. :D And remember to only add up the points for six of them, not seven.

And - do we get the list of subjects in Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

claire h wrote:
    Bring a calculator. :D And remember to only add up the points for six of them, not seven.

And - do we get the list of subjects in Irish?

It will have both englis & irish on it - been a while but i think that how it went ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

oh dear :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I plan on immediately blacking out Irish and German then adding up the rest. However it will be pretty obvious if you have the points just by glancing at the grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I did this last year so I'll tell you how to do it.
    its gona be really hard but it'll make you feel better.

Read em one at a time, one after another.
    I glanced down at my results and I saw C's and B's with an A.
    When I actually read the results it was C's in my pass subjects and two B's.

Whatcha gotta do is read them one at a time, then add them up.
    I added it up in my head but maths is my thing, bring yourself a calculator, even though you're school will have some.
    Good luck people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.................................

Stop talking about it!!!!
    Stop it.
    Stop it
    Stop it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

what time can you get your results from the school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Every school will have them and will give them out by 6am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Well, that all depends on when your school decides to open! I think most schools will try to make the wait as short as possible and open at 9am! I'd say get in early before the hype spreads!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

oeNeo wrote:
    Every school will have them and will give them out by 6am.
    Thats not even funny, does lying to ppl make you feel good about yourself?

thats made me feel worse, to be honest

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yeah, I think thats why he posted it, so we'd feel bad.

I cant sleep. But I have a plan. Make it through til work tomorrow at 10 - 6. Come home, dinner. Go to see The Village with my mate. Go stay the night in hers, get pissed. Get my mam to collect us at 8.30am, go to school. Then, cry, ring, hug, cry, drink, come home, cry, drink, change, dinner, PISS UP IN TOWN.

Probably loads more, might jump online if I can type and see how ya'll did.

*sigh*

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I expect ther to be less boards-suicides than last year.

There were none, so I expect life to be forged in the heat of LeavingCert night passion!

I'll only post my results if I think I won't look like the dunce of the group.

"There were none, so I expect life to be forged in the heat of LeavingCert night passion!"

/me winks at Jesjes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fireangel

Nervous..... going to cry........ shaking hands............. anybody else feel like burrowing under their blankets and not getting up until some stage tomorrow?
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Re the time results will be given out: This depends on the school. Some schools wait for them to be delivered in the post, in others the Exam Secretary, Year Head or Principal goes to collect them from the Delivery Office.

Once they are in the school they are checked by the Principal and/or Exam Secretary for obvious errors, such as the wrong subjects/ wrong candidates etc., then they are put in envelopes for the candidates.

Regardless, you should not have them any later than 11am.

It is not the end of the world if you do not get the points you wanted. There are different ways and means of getting your degree/diploma/certificate/course. The Leaving is only an exam. It is an exam that can be sat again, and believe me, in five years time you will hardly remember what you got. In the real world, no-one cares what you got in the Leaving.

Trish (old bag - LC. 1980)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

newgrange wrote:
    It is not the end of the world if you do not get the points you wanted. There are different ways and means of getting your degree/diploma/certificate/course. The Leaving is only an exam. It is an exam that can be sat again, and believe me, in five years time you will hardly remember what you got. In the real world, no-one cares what you got in the Leaving.

Trish (old bag - LC. 1980)

I'm sure that was meant to be reassuring but it comes off as just a teensy bit condescending and dismissive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

It was not meant as such, and I'm sorry you took it like that, but that does not change the truth of it.

It is only an exam. It is not the end of the world if someone does not do as well as they expected or hoped, there is always another way of achieving what you want. It might take longer, but it is still an option.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

newgrange wrote:
    It was not meant as such, and I'm sorry you took it like that, but that does not change the truth of it.

It is only an exam. It is not the end of the world if someone does not do as well as they expected or hoped, there is always another way of achieving what you want. It might take longer, but it is still an option.
    Yes, and so far, for me that way has been by repeating the exams.

The only other options I see are laborious and/or tedious, if I don't do well this time around I'll probably end up getting a job, and if by the time I'm 23 I even feel like going to college anymore maybe I'll apply for mature applicant.
    You already have to be signed up for most PLC course by the time you realize your results aren't going to pull you through the Degrees/Diplomas on your CAO form.

It changes your life in ways you can't predict, and this "Don't worry about it, it's not the be all and end all" attitude has only eased my mind once, I had to repeat (most likely because I didn't worry enough about the exams), and I will never allow that to happen again.

Some friendly advice to those who don't achieve what they aimed for. Think fast.
    You don't have a long time to mope about or dwell on it, you need to decide what your next step is reasonably quickly. It is going to SUCK ASS with most if not all (in my case) of your friends getting into college and sorting out all sorts of college-type stuff, but you have to ignore that.

my options at the time were:

Repeat

Work and do night courses

Just work

I added up the pros and cons and repeat came out tops.
    Repeating wasn't all that bad for me, in the end it's probably better that I did, I learned how to study and work properly over the last year and my course choices have changed rather dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also check the AQA courses to see if there is anything youmight want to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

okay so what are ye all doing at this very moment (other than on the computer)..i'm listening to music and timing my texts to send ''good luck'' to the lucky few..(or unlucky)....and i'm thinking that i should eat something but my tummy is too nervous..i was also up at 7 today at work (as a waitress) so i am really tired and feel kind of crappy...and i have a heavy vein of pure dread and doom flowing through me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

fireangel wrote:
    Nervous..... going to cry........ shaking hands............. anybody else feel like burrowing under their blankets and not getting up until some stage tomorrow?
    :eek:

/me hands fireangel a blanket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

.....and i also keep staring at the countdown clock cult made so kindly, like it is some kind of freaking bomb that will explode in....http://members.boards.ie/cult/...go here to listen to some funky trippy music to calm your nerves --click ''radio''-- http://www.weirdsville.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Uee I remember what this all felt like. Nervious as ****. Good luck anyway's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭insomniac

Jaysus am I the only person here who's actually excited about getting my results. I'm really excited!!!!!!!!

ROLL ON 9 A.M.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i'm kinda excited, but im almost sick at the same time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

I'm reaqlly excited. Cant wait...gonna get so locked tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

PHB wrote:
    Also check the AQA courses to see if there is anything youmight want to do

PHB seriously, are you obsessed with the LC? If you could repeat it, would you?

Advertisement