Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impromptu pub sessions

Options
  • 16-08-2004 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Comment on another thread prompts me to ask:

Who here actually brings their instrument (careful now) down to the pub with them and starts banging out a few tunes?

Personally I'd be mortified to start playing in a pub, especially one not particularly known for live music.

Any thoughts?
    Ep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

are you trying to catch out ppl who know before hand that a session will be going on?

Yes when I go to certain festivals , say the fleadh, even though im not competing ill bring my box and sit down in what appears to be a friendly place and wait for something to happen (9 times out of 10 something will).

And there is a certain pub in my locallity that has a session every monday night. I dont know who'll be there or what will be played so yes I consider that Impromptu.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I remember when I was twelve and my mam bought me a tin whistle when we were on hoilday in Kerry or somewhere, and I sat down in this big square town centre thing and started playing. To myself. Wasn't that busy or anything, but after a while some tourists stopped and watched me. hehe, I was terrified, ran for my life. My mam laughed so hard when I told her. My fisrt and last impromptu experience.

There is a group locally that I've been meaning to join, that seemingly have sessions and cheap beer, might go to that.

If I was at a fleadh I think it would only be right to bring your instrument like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I don't play any instrument, but I have been known to sing a song or two at a sing-song on a few occasions. One of the great things about Irish music is the way that musicians can sit down with each other and just start playing, even if they have never met. The spontanaeity of it is great. Any strong traditional music area in the country, like West Clare, is great for this kind of thing. It can often be very intiricate types of tunes, but people can still sit down and join in. Great to listen to!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

tru tru, if any of ye kno gannons pub in castledermot they do hv sessions there every sat or so, they used to anyway. its worth a look if ur near

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭*Sinéad*

i am so bad for getting up and playing people have to drag me up, although i have been without an instrument for three months :( , but musicians are generally so nice about less experienced players. Yet i still get all flustered, i will over come once i get my new concertina(i like to tell myself this).Oh how i dream of the day(soon, i can't wait)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Stick with it. The confidence will flow, just like the music you'll be making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lauraandnia

its great to go pub and play.....we play every fri in local and anyone even if d cant play wil join in like on d bongogs...we p-lay with a mix of guys...regular lock ins and all..its what irish is about...few tunes songs and pints great great craic.

Advertisement