Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Azumi

• 16-08-2004 9:42pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got this movie today from play.com, Azumi is directed by Ryhuhei Kitamura (versus) and is an incredible film, imo it even surpases the amazing Versus. The fight sequences in this movie are incredible as are all the characters, costumes, music and locations. Every scene is beautifully created.I highly recommend that anyone who has an interest in films like Versus and Battle Royale to purchase this dvd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yes.
    Aya Ueto just suits the role perfectly, regarless of how unlikely.

Versus was great, but I agree. Kitamura really has really gone above and beyond here.
    It must be so difficult make a film like this, and so original too. Makes me think he may be one of the 'great directors' if he produces more great stuff like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Just wondering - is there much wire fighting in it?

The short version is that i personally hate wire-fighting in all it's shapes and forms (ruined Crouching Tiger for me for example) and i was thinking of picking Azumi up but when i saw that it was "CG-assisted" i thought hmmm.So are there many people flying around the place?

I have never seen wire fight scenes in a japanese movie, and kitamura certainly doesnt use em.
    Hero did, despite that it was still a good film.
    cg are used a bit in azumi, but like versus, it certainly doesn't detract from the film, it's used well. But hoolio I dont understand the relationship between cg and wires? Do you just mean dodgy effects in general?
    I guess my short version is,
    'just watch it' - RECOMMENDED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

nadir wrote:
    I have never seen wire fight scenes in a japanese movie, and kitamura certainly doesnt use em.

What are you talking about!? Of course he uses them, and he certainly did at the big end fight of Versus.

Hoolio, there's some wire play, but nothing compared to the overkill of Crouching Tiger and all.

It wires are only used to the same extent as something like Versus thats grand.I don't mind a little bit here and there,i just don't like to see a film's action looking like a puppet show.Just asked because if a film uses CG then there are probably gonig to be some wires around the place too.

Tis strange - i love a good bit of very over the top action now and again but i just hate 'wire-fu',i guess it seems like it lacks 'oomph' (if thats a word)

• Advertisement

O_o
    ill take another look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

hoolio wrote:
    It wires are only used to the same extent as something like Versus thats grand.I don't mind a little bit here and there,i just don't like to see a film's action looking like a puppet show.Just asked because if a film uses CG then there are probably gonig to be some wires around the place too.

Tis strange - i love a good bit of very over the top action now and again but i just hate 'wire-fu',i guess it seems like it lacks 'oomph' (if thats a word)

Yeah, well if you didn't mind Versus, then you should enjoy Azumi without the whole wire-fu ruining it. I do agree with you though, I don't really enjoy too much wire work at all, but on the whole over-the-top scale of it, I think Iron Monkey was great without becoming too ridiculous, but perhaps thats because it's already a rather comedic film?

yea, , your right, definately wire work, I had just passed it off as cg.
    I guess there is good wire work and bad.

Iron Monkey was good alright - mainly for that really cheesy charm it has going on.Makes you ignore any real flaws and just watch with a dopey grin on your face.

I thinks i'll add Azumi to the list of films to buy when i sell some organs to raise funds. (i think i am single handedly putting the children of play.com's employees through college).Speaking of Kitamura is either 'Sky High' or 'Alive' worth seeing?

Advertisement