Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff didnt play against United because of a "mental block"

• 16-08-2004 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/republic_of_ireland/3568942.stm

I was expecting Duffer to play against Man United with Robben out injuried and Duff having played a few pre-season games. But i was very surprised to see he didnt even make the bench for thr Super Sunday Clash.

So i thought he picked up ANOTHER injury and would miss the friendly on Wednesday but Mourinho has allowed Duff to play the game so he can get over this "Mental Block" which ruled him out of the United game.

I can understand Duff not wanting to have much contact with other players fearing he might dislocated his shoulder again but i hope he gets over it soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Maybe if he continues to piss Mourinho off he might get a move away from the Chelsea circus to, you know, a football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Duff to Villa! Wooo!
    Sounds like a bit of a faux pas to me, I'd expect him to be fine for the Bulgaria match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Duff to Villa! Wooo!
    Sounds like a bit of a faux pas to me, I'd expect him to be fine for the Bulgaria match.

no Newcastle can replace Robert .(so frustrating yet so talented :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

obviously he'd go to liverpool :p
    i'm a bit surprised by this mental block though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Im sure I read somewhere that the duffer had taken up judo.. to help him land better.. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

DapperGent wrote:
    Maybe if he continues to piss Mourinho off he might get a move away from the Chelsea circus to, you know, a football club.

United supporter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Of course Duff is very worried about his shoulder. Every player is apprehensive about physical contact after a long term injury. I think Mourinho was making the point that he is happy to see Duff going out and getting his confidence back in a non-Chelsea game. He'd hardly have thrown him in at far less than 100% for a big game against United.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

One of the lads here was over at the match. Was at the players entrance when Duff came out, one of the fans asked him "how was his injury and when he would be back" duff answered "I'm not injured".
    So also the fact that Kerr said yesterday that he will play Duff does it look like he is on the way out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

He's not leaving, he's no where near fit enough though. He doesn't have enough match practice.

Tellox wrote:
    United supporter?
    Just a football fan. Clubs like Real Madrid, Chelsea and previously Lazio and Roma (before they went broke) piss me off something awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Chelski propaganda - Duff isn't injured and he's not too happy about Mourinho's comments either.

Brian Kerr said he's getting over this 'mental block' and played well in training .
    He said all Duff needs now is a couple of rough tackles .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well, if Mourinho doesn't want him at Chelsea, he needs his head examined. Duff was easily Chelsea's best player last season, and their form went to hell as soon as he got injured. Maybe Raineri will whisk him off to Valencia...?

Where's Bannor with a bit of info when you need him?

mr_angry wrote:
    Well, if Mourinho doesn't want him at Chelsea, he needs his head examined. Duff was easily Chelsea's best player last season, and their form went to hell as soon as he got injured. Maybe Raineri will whisk him off to Valencia...?

even if Ranieri wasnt sure about getting him , im sure his mother would make him .

mr_angry wrote:
    Duff was easily Chelsea's best player last season, and their form went to hell as soon as he got injured.[/SIZE]
    He was good but Lampard was definately the best player at Chelsea last season. Lampard wasn't as good as the english press made him out to be but was Chelsea's best.

Duff looked good most of the time put you can't call a player who missed a third of a season a club's best even if he is Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Of course Duff is very worried about his shoulder. Every player is apprehensive about physical contact after a long term injury. I think Mourinho was making the point that he is happy to see Duff going out and getting his confidence back in a non-Chelsea game. He'd hardly have thrown him in at far less than 100% for a big game against United.
    Exactly. Judging by the amount of article's and thread's on this topic I think I am one of the few that can associate with Duff's situation.

If someone twists their ankle and is out for a couple of months, a few games back and they injure the same ankle again. They are going to be a little scared to twist and turn on that ankle. If it was any other club Duff would at least came off the bench on Sunday but Mourinho has so many top players that he could live without him for one match.

BTW, I doubt very much that Duff mentioned any mental block to Mourinho.
    DapperGent wrote:
    He was good but Lampard was definately the best player at Chelsea last season. Lampard wasn't as good as the english press made him out to be but was Chelsea's best.
    A few of you will know that I am not Lampard's biggest fans, he is vastly overrated by almost everyone. His goals are the only thing I can compliment him on.

Judging by consistency, Terry was probably the best player last season with Duff second.

Advertisement