Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the craic with lads driving so fast?

• 17-08-2004 2:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

See this all the time, everyone I know with a car seems to think speed limits are a minimum speed you should travel at.

Example, the other day I was in my mates car, was about 10pm so it was quiet, I was in the back seat and my mate in the passanger seat was on the phone. Anyway my friend driving was doing 85 on a 40mph road, I was thinking of saying something but I figured id be home soon so would just wait it out, but then my friend hands him the phone! So now its 10pm so its dark, hes driving at 85mph in a 40mph zone, its a narrow road (only two lanes, one up one down) and now hes on the phone to someone in australia! But the best has yet to come, we soon catch up to some woman who is doing, *Shock* 40mph and my mate is gettin thick waiting to pass her out, all of a sudden another boy racer comes from behind us and overtakes us both, and my mate has the utter cheek to say "f*ckin s**te driver, should be locked up pullin that stunt at night!!", and these are the same lads I hear whinein about their insurance costs too every friday in the pub.

This annoys the hell out of me, I dont own a car but when I do I will never break the limit, lads think that good driving is how fast you can get to the shops for cans. My sister was hit by a car going 10mph! Imagine the car had been going 80mph?

This is so stupid and I can bet alot of lads reading this over 17 who have a car regulary go way above the limit, or drink and drive, or yap on their phones despite hearing on the news nearly every week several people dieng on the roads. Whats the point? You only live once, why make it as short as possible?!

Muppets :P

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

"here he come's, here come's boy racer, he's a demon on wheel's"

more often them not, i've seen more women use mobiles while driving then man, and lets not forget makeup, lipstick,eyelash curlers (i swear to good i saw a one doing this)

DOnt paint all people with the same brush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

"here he come's, here come's boy racer, he's a demon on wheel's"

more often them not, i've seen more women use mobiles while driving then man, and lets not forget makeup, lipstick,eyelash curlers (i swear to good i saw a one doing this)

DOnt paint all people with the same brush

I agree made some bad generalisations, I know many other people do drive badly, but the image I get from my friends who drive mainly young men is that they do drive way to fast, and I wonder what is their preocupation with speed? oO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You are totally right. They drive like there cock is made of gold or something. ****in' idiots. May they learn that speeding kills instead of trying to impress that ugly looking thing you have as a girlfriend in the front seat beside you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

cheesedude wrote:
    They drive like there cock is made of gold or something.
    their cock is made of gold, wtf? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

They drive really fast because they all have really small dicks.

Ever hear of the over compensation theory??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

In my opinion, women are far worse drivers. Fellas understand the basic functions of cars and are more clued in when something goes wrong and better able to take corrective action. For example...if a women is waiting to pull out of a junction on to a busy road and by accident puts the nose of the car out to far thereby obstructing the flow of traffic, she will simply sit there and never even think to select reverse and move a few inches back to keep things moving. Most fellas would realise they are causing an obstruction and quickly reverse slightly. Women are happy once they can get from A-B and back again, however men have a passion for driving. Morever than not, when I´m out drivin and I see some car doing something totally moronic, 99 times out of a 100, I am right in assuming its a woman drivin.
    I know this is a generalisation and that every driver is different but then again I am not bein totally prejudiced and am basing my opinion on past experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Anyway my friend driving was doing 85 on a 40mph road, I was thinking of saying something but I figured id be home soon so would just wait it out

"Anyway my friend driving was doing 85 on a 40mph road, I was thinking of saying something but I was killed in a horrific accident in which we were all mangled beyond recognition"

There is another alternative. Less pretty, but could make for a good campaign

Deadwing wrote:
    They drive really fast because they all have really small dicks.

Ever hear of the over compensation theory??
    What an immature argument. Men drive fast because its a rush. Speeding gives you a thrill. Its also illegal which again makes it wrong and everyone gets a thrill when they do something that they shouldn´t be doing. I´m not condoning speeding for a second, jus tellin ya why men do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

fletch wrote:
    men have a passion for driving.

Not necessarily - I personally don't - I hate driving - there's too many morons on the roads these days driving too fast and too agressively.

By not driving I avoid being on the road when their immaturity and stupidity causes an accident and kills themselves and others.

thejuggler wrote:
    Not necessarily - I personally don't - I hate driving - there's too many morons on the roads these days driving too fast and too agressively.

By not driving I avoid being on the road when their immaturity and stupidity causes an accident and kills themselves and others.
    People drive aggressively ´cause women get in the bloody way bein slow of lights and making stupid decisions. Women drive as if they have tunnel vision and never predict any situation up ahead. I´m regularly a passenger in the car with my sister and she rarely if ever anticipates a potential situation. For example I see that an oncoming car is going to have to manouevre around a parked car, so the logical thing to do would be, move closer to the kerb to allow the oncoming car to do so. However she point blankly holds her position on the road.

• Advertisement

Another thing that annoys me is the eegit doing 55mph on a 60mph road. A difficult car to overtake as you need to accelerate to at least 70mph to get around safely. A man will generally move over into the hard shoulder to aid you passing out...however a woman drives on totally oblivious to your presence nevermind the hazard that she is!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

All young men drive like lunatics when they start driving, because they think that they are the best drivers around. I know I did when I was 17.

At least i've matured a little in my thinking since then. Its taking a lot of miles under my belt, and a lot of driving experience to actually know that i'm a super duper driver.

delly wrote:
    Its taking a lot of miles under my belt, and a lot of driving experience to actually know that i'm a super duper driver.
    lol lol lol....yeh a cars top speed aint jus 2 talk about...u have 2 experience it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Whats wrong with doing 55 mph in a 60mph zone? - seems perfectly sensible. Are you saying you should either drive at 60mph or at a slow speed so you can be easily overtaken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

fletch wrote:
    What an immature argument. Men drive fast because its a rush. Speeding gives you a thrill. Its also illegal which again makes it wrong and everyone gets a thrill when they do something that they shouldn´t be doing.
    Yeah, cause thats the very definition of a mature argument. :rolleyes:

thejuggler wrote:
    Whats wrong with doing 55 mph in a 60mph zone? - seems perfectly sensible. Are you saying you should either drive at 60mph or at a slow speed so you can be easily overtaken?
    No but if you are doing 55mph and the car behind you wants to do 60mph (which they are legally allowed to), then you should move gently into the hard shoulder to allow them by, rather than agravating them into making some dangerous overtaking manouvre on a blind bend at the crest of a hill. Makes sense really.

Deadwing wrote:
    Yeah, cause thats the very definition of a mature argument. :rolleyes:
    I am just trying to make people understand why men speed. A mature reason, I think not but its a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

fletch wrote:
    Another thing that annoys me is the eegit doing 55mph on a 60mph road. A difficult car to overtake as you need to accelerate to at least 70mph to get around safely. A man will generally move over into the hard shoulder to aid you passing out...however a woman drives on totally oblivious to your presence nevermind the hazard that she is!

So you'd prefer if they went slower?
    wtf......?
    Does 5 mph make all that much difference to you?

You're one of the idiots who will take someone else out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

fletch wrote:
    No but if you are doing 55mph and the car behind you wants to do 60mph (which they are legally allowed to), then you should move gently into the hard shoulder to allow them by, rather than agravating them into making some dangerous overtaking manouvre on a blind bend at the crest of a hill. Makes sense really.

okay so since they are legally allowed to drive a 60 - they can do an illegal overtaking manouvre on a blind bend at the crest of a hill?

oh wait its legal to drive at 55 in a 60 zone too

ohh dear i have gone crosseyed

Sleipnir wrote:
    So you'd prefer if they went slower?
    wtf......?
    Does 5 mph make all that much difference to you?

You're one of the idiots who will take someone else out.
    No, I'm one of the idiots who sticks to the speed limits rigidly, its jus quite annying when u encounter some idiot doing 50-55mph, because they are impossible to overtake. A bit more manners and courtesy on the road would not go a miss. I love truck drivers, they are the polar opposite of women drivers. Most trucks are limited to 55mph(50 in some cases). Truckers recognise that (on a motorway for example) there are cars that would like to travel faster than them so they stay in the left lane. Do people not understand that the right-hand lane is called the overtaking lane, not the I'm gona sit ere and nobodys gona pass me lane

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is they should drive at a speed you're comfortable with. Not a speed they are comfortable with?

Yah, that sounds safe.

Sleipnir wrote:
    So what you're saying is they should drive at a speed you're comfortable with. Not a speed they are comfortable with?

Yah, that sounds safe.
    Err...NO....they should just recognise that other people may not want to travel at the same speed as them and have a bit of common sense and move over and let them by so as not to cause an obstruction (you would fail your driving test for causing a obstruction to other motorists)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In fairness, all Fletch is asking for is common manners. If someone behind me wants to go faster than me, I'll pull into the hard shoulder and leave 'em pass. To my mind, (and as Fletch says, the law) that's just proper driving.

Sleepy wrote:
    In fairness, all Fletch is asking for is common manners. If someone behind me wants to go faster than me, I'll pull into the hard shoulder and leave 'em pass. To my mind, (and as Fletch says, the law) that's just proper driving.
    Thank You Sleepy....nice to see theres a few competent drivers out there, theres still hope 4 us all

It is not stated in law that you MUST pull into the hard shoulder in order to allow those behind you to overtake.
    You can to do so allowing for the conditions but it is not against to law
    to NOT pull in.

Also, at 55 mph, the hard shoulder is not the safest place to be due to hidden exits, obstructions etc.

It's up to that driver to make that decision and if you don't like it you can either sit there and forget about that extra 5mph that you desperatly need in order to save the world or you can risk your life.

fletch wrote:
    Thank You Sleepy....nice to see theres a few competent drivers out there, theres still hope 4 us all

What, by reading people's posts on the internet you know how they drive?
    Aren't you just God-like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Fukin retards all over the roads, men and women.

I have to commute from west Cork to Cork city on roads that offer very little overtaking oppertunity. **** driving 35-45 mph on 2 lane national routes are dicks. I wish they could get pulled over for this (cant unless they are under 30). People with a big trail of traffic behind them oblivious to the delay they are causing are really such ignorant people.

Sleipnir wrote:
    It is not stated in law that you MUST pull into the hard shoulder in order to allow those behind you to overtake.
    You can to do so allowing for the conditions but it is not against to law
    to NOT pull in.

Also, at 55 mph, the hard shoulder is not the safest place to be due to hidden exits, obstructions etc.

It's up to that driver to make that decision and if you don't like it you can either sit there and forget about that extra 5mph that you desperatly need in order to save the world or you can risk your life.
    Is is stated in the law however that you must not cause an obstruction to other road users.
    I am not suggesting for a second that the person pulls into the hard shoulder regardless of conditions(I know some hard shoulders can be in a bad way) but when they can see a clear distance in front of them to do so, it makes sense to move over.
    Its drivers like you that have Ireland's roads in the state they are today. You look out for yourself and nobody else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

let's not mention the fact that it's also illegal to drive on the hard shoulder.

Fletch, you really have a chip on your shoulder. Most people in general are crap drivers (men and women alike). I'd say that I have the **** scared out of me on a daily basis when driving by the sheer stupidity of most people. Erratic driving on roundabouts, (ooh I'll just take this lane here), ignorant feckers who don't know how to use a climbing lane (ooh it says slow lane, that's not for me), people who don't dim (ooh I need to see in the dark, sorry if I blind you).

There should be compulsory retesting every 5 years or so. and i'm a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

DaSilva - your driver mate is a wanker.
    But I can see where Fletch and Sleepy are coming from - I commute 12 miles to/from work every day, it is a national secondary road with bugger all overtaking opportunities, and there are ALWAYS idiots cruising along at 30mph and guys in tractors, and they never pull in to let the massive queue of faster traffic behind them past. The road isn't great but there are plenty of lay-bys and short stretches of hard shoulder, I would suspect they're there for this purpose.

Yeah well if they're doing 20-30 on a national road then they should pull in every now and then to allow traffic to pass, no problem with that.
    What I do object to is people saying that drivers should pull in even if they're just 5 mph below the speed limit.

I mean, what is the rush that you have to have that extra 5-10 mph?

dudara wrote:
    let's not mention the fact that it's also illegal to drive on the hard shoulder.
    Have you never heard of the unwritten rules of the road.
    Ever seen a lorry driver passing another lorry driver, the lorry driver being passed will ALWAYS flash his lights to tell the other lorry driver that the rear of his truck has cleared the front of his, so the lorry driver in front knows to move into the left lane, thus reducing the amount of time exposed to danger.
    It helps if you open your eyes.
    I am guessing the majority of you people are Dubliners and rarely travel outside the city and hence do not understand long distance driving.
    Travelling consistently and/or using the hard shoulder to undertake is illegal, however using it for its very purpose (to avoid obstables) is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There’s nothing wrong with driving 55mph in a 60 zone. If the person was driving 35-40 then you’d definitely have something to complain about, but for the sake of 5mph, why would it bother you so much?

Fletch, your comment that it is stated in the law however that you must not cause an obstruction to other road users is stupid. Going slightly slower than the speed limit is NOT causing an obstruction.

The other thing is that if you do overtake the person driving at 55mph, a few miles down the road they will catch up with you anyway. Due to traffic lights or another driver you won’t make up too much distance. ‘Tis the way traffic works…

And just because there are unwritten rules of the road exist doesn't mean that they're right (or safe).

Sleipnir wrote:
    Yeah well if they're doing 20-30 on a national road then they should pull in every now and then to allow traffic to pass, no problem with that.
    What I do object to is people saying that drivers should pull in even if they're just 5 mph below the speed limit.

I mean, what is the rush that you have to have that extra 5-10 mph?
    5mph may have been a slight over exaggeration....but 10mph on a 100mile journey will save you 20mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Perhaps not, but pulling in to let someone by is so logical and natural that it obviously has escaped the brainless twits who drive in this country. Much like yielding to the right on a motorway when traffic is entering the left lane. Works everywhere except in this country, where the simplest bit of courtesy or common sense appears to be beyond most drivers. Never mind driving in the correct lane to begin with.

It seems like most people drive around with a big ego. Letting someone past does not mean you've lost any pride. By helping them make the overtaking maneouvre safer you're doing everyone a favour.

Given that such a small percentage of Irish drivers get this, I wonder why the NRA spends money on hard shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i drive over the speed limit when it's safe to do so, or when the posted speed limit is ridiculously slow. something that comes to mind is a section of the m50 that has a posted speed limit of 40mph despite being a dual carriageway and (at the time i was on it) almost completely devoid of any traffic.

also, would it be so hard for people to keep up with the flow of traffic?

a convoy of 20 people are doing 60mph in a 60 zone, but some old granny is doing 35 because she can't see far enough ahead of her to go any faster.

who's in the wrong? (aside from whoever didn't make her re-take her test once she hit 70).

fletch wrote:
    5mph may have been a slight over exaggeration....but 10mph on a 100mile journey will save you 20mins

Yah, if you're travelling at a constant speed for 100 miles.
    Show me where in Ireland you can do that?
    In realiity that extra 5 mph you need will save you about 10 seconds over 100 miles.

vibe666 wrote:
    also, would it be so hard for people to keep up with the flow of traffic?

a convoy of 20 people are doing 60mph in a 60 zone, but some old granny is doing 35 because she can't see far enough ahead of her to go any faster.

who's in the wrong? (aside from whoever didn't make her re-take her test once she hit 70).
    At last some sensible replies! Also any notice the 40mph speed limit on the inside lane of the M1 outbound after the M50 intersection. The middle and outer lane are 60mph zones....talk about ridiculous. Your doing 60mph in the middle lane, decide all of a sudden that you need to take the airport slip road, indicate, manouvre into lane and all of a sudden you are driving 20mph above the speed limit. Also the 40mph limit signs on the overhead gantry are tiny

Sleipnir wrote:
    Yah, if you're travelling at a constant speed for 100 miles.
    Show me where in Ireland you can do that?
    In realiity that extra 5 mph you need will save you about 10 seconds over 100 miles.
    Drive from Dublin along the N4 to Sligo, a distance of 125miles and you have a pretty much perfect road all the way...Sleipnir I think you are beginning to split hairs now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

fletch wrote:
    At last some sensible replies!
    I still reckon I'm gonna get flamed over the granny comment, but so be it. everyone's entitled to MY opinion. ;)

there's also plenty of dual carriageways that have 30mph speed limits too, which really get's on my tits.

I've been driving 10 years and have never had an accident that was my fault (hit in the arse once at a junction by someone changing a tape, and someone pulled out on me on an icy road (i was doing about 15mph) who was lost and reading a map at the time) and although I do sometimes drive fast (fast being over the speed limit) i consider myself a pretty safe driver, although occasionally i may make an overtaking manuever if someone is driving disgustingly slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

fletch wrote:
    People drive aggressively ´cause women get in the bloody way bein slow of lights and making stupid decisions. Women drive as if they have tunnel vision and never predict any situation up ahead. I´m regularly a passenger in the car with my sister and she rarely if ever anticipates a potential situation. For example I see that an oncoming car is going to have to manouevre around a parked car, so the logical thing to do would be, move closer to the kerb to allow the oncoming car to do so. However she point blankly holds her position on the road.

and your sister should rightly hold her position she has right of way if an on comming car has to manouever around a parked car then chances are they need to cross the white line....come on i'm a girl i dont drive and i know this.. the on comming car should wait til he has a clear enough passage to pass the parked car...

lisa.c wrote:
    and your sister should rightly hold her position she has right of way if an on comming car has to manouever around a parked car then chances are they need to cross the white line....come on i'm a girl i dont drive and i know this.. the on comming car should wait til he has a clear enough passage to pass the parked car...
    Technically..she should....but keeping the traffic flowing in mind, its a good idea and could potentially stop an accident happening if the oncoming motorist tried to squeeze through the gap and failed. Other users tend to do the unexpected so its all about anticipating the unexpected and taking precautionary measures.

fletch wrote:

do you seriously think that going an extra 5mph is going to get you there so much quicker...god your the type of person i would love to see banned off roads... you would rather over take some one goin 5mph under the speed limit and risk killin ye both than to have a bit of patience and wait..any wonder we have so many deaths on our roads with arses like you on them..
    get a life will you.

fletch wrote:
    Drive from Dublin along the N4 to Sligo, a distance of 125miles and you have a pretty much perfect road all the way...Sleipnir I think you are beginning to split hairs now

No lights, junctions, corners or other road users?
    Cool.

Sleipnir wrote:
    No lights, junctions, corners or other road users?
    Cool.
    Splittin hairs as I said.

fletch wrote:
    You look out for yourself and nobody else

exactly so why should other people risk going faster cause you want them to..or pull in to hard shoulders cause you want to pass them out. if people are comfortable driving at 55 then tough on you they are looking out for themselves not you.

fletch any chance you'll pm me on your reg so i can try avoid you on the road at all costs and if by chance you ever end up behind me i can ring that number on the side of the road and report you..

lisa.c wrote:

fletch any chance you'll pm me on your reg so i can try avoid you on the road at all costs and if by chance you ever end up behind me i can ring that number on the side of the road and report you..
    Em....I thought you didnt drive lisa.c???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

lisa.c - a driver who looks out for only themselves is a crappy driver. You need to be aware of what's going on all around you and anticipate the idiotic things that others do. You'll learn this especially fast if you ever drive a motorbike :)

fletch wrote:
    Splittin hairs as I said.

ah well, if you're not capable of debating an issue then that's okay.

i dont but im with my partner in his car daily and i tell you something i see some stupid sights. im all for over taking when its safe and pulling over when its safe and all doin all the other stuff the keep traffic flowing but in all fairness the way you have posted fletch you have done nothen but make yourself look like a crap ignorant driver... seriously doin that extra few mph can end up killing you. have you though how your family would feel... knowing you you'd probably jump out of you coffin while in the hearse and demand that the hearse driver go faster. its just not worth it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement