Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the craic with lads driving so fast?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Sleipnir wrote:
    ah well, if you're not capable of debating an issue then that's okay.
    You are the one backin out of the debate....i said "pretty" much perfect roads all the way. That is not to say there are no junctions, roundabouts, towns etc.. to speak of but I was speaking in the more general sense of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In my experience I find that people who pass me out, tearing down the motorway, I always seem to find them just ahead of me at the next set of traffic lights.. just an observation.

I come from a farming background where I've driven tractors and other heavy machinery on the roads, and i am sympathetic to people and will always let them by if I can at all. Most farmers are that way and to say otherwise is a fallacy. You've got to remember a farmer is driving a big heavy vehicle and has more responsibility as a result.

The law states that you are obliged to let a faster moving vehicle by as long as it poses no risk to you. And I always will. Learning to drive on country roads, like I did, means that you learn a lot of politeness. People going up hills always have right of way is an unspoken rule around my neck of the woods. People who only venture out of the city on a sunday are who really annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

dudara wrote:
    In my experience I find that people who pass me out, tearing down the motorway, I always seem to find them just ahead of me at the next set of traffic lights.. just an observation.

Exactly my point.

lisa.c wrote:
    seriously doin that extra few mph can end up killing you
    Driving on the road full stop can kill you....if we all worried like that we'd never leave our homes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Deadwing wrote:
    They drive really fast because they all have really small dicks.

Ever hear of the over compensation theory??

Yeah right Freud, but I thought people bought Ferraris because they have small dicks. :rolleyes: Thank you for your contribution.

People drive fast 'cos they get a buzz. I do too, but I don't do it in built up areas or narrow roads ('cos you don't know what's around the next corner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

well i'm a cyclist and from my experience the worst drivers are the elderly/the clergy, professional young women and taxis. so often has a taxi just jammed on the brakes to stop for a fare with absolutly no prior warning and i have nearly gone flying into the back of them in many occassions.

remember u may not like cyclists but they mean less cars!!!! and if you try and be aggressive with cyclists - if you hit one of use, we will most probably die....then your ****ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

no people on the roads get killed when people with your attitude drive on them. fletch you have a sh.it attitude towards driving and women driving. ill put twenty quid on with you that men have caused more accidents in the last year than women have...

fletch wrote:
    No but if you are doing 55mph...then you should move gently into the hard shoulder to allow them by...

No you shouldn't. You've obviosly got your license in the same great license amnesty my granny did. The hard shoulder is not a crawler lane. What happens if some is on the hard shoulder changing a tyre when a car ploughs into him cos some road-rage asshole has just intimidated somebody into getting out of his way?
    fletch wrote:
    ...rather than agravating them into making some dangerous overtaking manouvre on a blind bend at the crest of a hill. Makes sense really.

That says more about the driving standards of the asshole trying to overtake, than it does about the person doing 55mph. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ChipZilla wrote:
    That says more about the driving standards of the asshole trying to overtake, than it does about the person doing 55mph. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Precisely.
    "He aggravated me so much, I made a dangerous overtaking maneuver by driving 5 mph below the speed limit so it's his fault I killed a 5 year old."

Neanderthal driving.

• Advertisement

ChipZilla wrote:
    No you shouldn't. You've obviosly got your license in the same great license amnesty my granny did. The hard shoulder is not a crawler lane. What happens if some is on the hard shoulder changing a tyre when a car ploughs into him cos some road-rage asshole has just intimidated somebody into getting out of his way?

If you had cared to read the entire thread...u wud have noticed that I state that the road ahead should be clear and you should only move in where it is safe to do so.
    The example of the person overtakin on the crest of a hill on a corner merely served as an example of the erratic and unpredictable behaviour of other road users.

fletch wrote:
    Blah blah blah

Feltch, I did read the whole thread, and nobody has spouted as much crap as you have.

I hope I never meet you on a road 'cos I'd most likely be introducing you to the business end of a wheel brace.

ChipZilla wrote:
    Feltch, I did read the whole thread, and nobody has spouted as much crap as you have.

I hope I never meet you on a road 'cos I'd most likely be introducing you to the business end of a wheel brace.
    Yes, violence, an excellent solution....another mature point of view (sarcasm jus incase anyones dumb enuf not to recognise it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

ehhh.... Lisa.c you need to read that post again about the 5mph and the others after it. As you will see. He said 55 in a 60 zone. So he is entitled to do that extra 5mph. As for the extra 5mph getting him killed. I'm sorry to say, that if you drive at any speed you run the chance of dieing :rolleyes:
    There’s not a magic cut off speed where you can die and can’t die.

As for the Women doing makeup and men driving to fast or what ever. I find this is how it is for me.

Women: Don’t notice bikers. Do, do makeup/hair/talk on phones. They do not pay enough attention to the road conditions that they are driving on. Change there minds about what lane they need to be in to late and make dangerous turns.

Young men: *Do drive to fast (*racer boys with crappy moded cars) (although the ones with tons of mods will be more inclined to keep the car safe). Drive to close to the car/bike in front. Will show little patience and will be more inclined to make a dangerous manoeuvre knowing it is dangerous.. Will talk on phones.

Middle aged men: Drive large cars and think they own the road and everyone should say clear of them.

Bikers: Teat everyone else on the road as fools who cant drive and look out for them-self’s. While this sounds like a really crappy way to drive. Try driving a bike for a month and see how your frame of mind changes then.

As for the unwritten rules of the road. These are made by drivers using common sense. Like if a biker is going up through traffic. A trucker or bus driver will beep his horn to let the biker know that there is a person walking in front of the bus/truck and is about to pop in front of the biker.

ChipZilla wrote:
    Feltch,

Now that's freudian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fletch wrote:
    Have you never heard of the unwritten rules of the road.
    Ever seen a lorry driver passing another lorry driver, the lorry driver being passed will ALWAYS flash his lights to tell the other lorry driver that the rear of his truck has cleared the front of his, so the lorry driver in front knows to move into the left lane, thus reducing the amount of time exposed to danger.
    It helps if you open your eyes.
    I am guessing the majority of you people are Dubliners and rarely travel outside the city and hence do not understand long distance driving.
    Travelling consistently and/or using the hard shoulder to undertake is illegal, however using it for its very purpose (to avoid obstables) is not.
    Wow, you are some gimp.
    the "unwritten" rules of the road... :rolleyes:
    And as for you rsuper lorry drivers, I guess you have never had them 10 feet from your bumper doing 50?
    Ever question what their stopping distance is compared to yours?
    Mush.

• Advertisement

Or how they are often dangerously overloaded, carrying hazardous materials without license or safety equipment, travelling on defective tyres, brakes etc etc.

fletch wrote:
    Yes, violence, an excellent solution....another mature point of view (sarcasm jus incase anyones dumb enuf not to recognise it)

What I was trying to illustrate is that, as somebody said earlier, drivers are unpredictable.

For instance say, I dunno, I'm driving at (or close to) the speed limit. You come storming up my arse, flashing your lights and wanting me to pull over onto the hard shoulder so you can get past for that speech you're giving at an ICA meeting. I can see somebody walking their dog on the hard shoulder. Now, you can't 'cos you're six inches off my bumper. I can't pull over, even if I wanted to, and this sends you into an incandescent rage and you give me the finger or the w*nker gesture. You tear past and five minutes later I'm behind you at a set of lights. I get out to discuss your driving style, you say something and suddenly it's wheelbrace time.

That's just an illustration of how one person's bad driving could lead to violence. I've seen people get kickings for less than what I've described.
    Sleipnir wrote:
    Now that's freudian!

Not a slip on my part mate. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can't we all just get along? One key aspect of being a good driver is courtesy. And it works both ways. The car travelling a little faster should come up, flash his lights once to alert the car in front that he wishes to overtake, and then wait at a safe distance until it is safe to pass. The car in front should make the effort, when possible, to give him room on the right, should the opportunity present itself, and once the overtake begins, to maintain their road position and reduce their speed slightly if necessary, by releasing the accelerator - never brake when being overtaken unless it's an emergency.

One shouldn't mind what other drivers are doing. People argue about what's to be gained by an extra 5mph, but what's to be gained by not aiding that vehicle in getting by you. If he wants to drive faster than you, let him. That's a huge problem on Irish dual carraigeways.

I was driving home last night, doing about 70 on the M50 coming towards the N7 slip road, so I slowed to about 65, changed into the overtaking lane, as did the guy in front of me. Then a guy came off the slip road, across the motorway, and straight onto the overtaking lane at 55mph. So we had to brake. I was expecting it, the guy in front of me wasn't, and flashed a few times. But the guy continued to hold in the overtaking lane, at 55mph. Me and the guy in front were both coming off the M50 at the N4, and when we change back to take the slip road, we were again travelling faster than the other guy, undertaking him. He was oblivious to what was going on. It was the lesser of two evils in this case - I could have chosen to remain at 55mph and not undertaken him, but then I would have held up the traffic in the left-hand lane which was travelling faster.

I'll never understand people who don't get that other people may want to go faster than them, and/or don't allow people to overtake safely.
    lisa.c wrote:
    ill put twenty quid on with you that men have caused more accidents in the last year than women have...
    Change that to "relatively more accidents" and I'll raise you to €50. :)

ChipZilla wrote:
    Not a slip on my part mate. :p
    Once again, people are reducing themselves to childish name calling by way of defending their points of view....very intelligent I must say!
    Section 145 of the English Highway Code states that "you must not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass"
    And before the raft of "Hey you idiot, this is Ireland we're livin in, not England" starts up, I don't want to hear it, I KNOW!!! Just trying to make a point. If the English have chosen to incorporate it into their Highway Code then there must be some logic in my thinking.
    I really cannot believe the idiocy of the Irish driving majority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

fletch wrote:
    Section 145 of the English Highway Code states that "you must not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass"

The point some people are trying to get through is that just because someone is driving a bit below the speed limit, doesn't mean that their vehicle is slow-moving.

Obviously people driving below the speed limit in the fast lane are causing a potentially dangerous situation. Just another example of bad driving. And sutty, I think Lisa.c was saying that trying to get the extra 5mph in a 60mph zone could cause the person to drive more wrecklessly than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

sutty... fletch.... show me where it is written that if the speed limit is 60 that all drivers must drive at this speed...the whole point of having limits is to ensure safe driiving to the best of my knowledge no one has to drive at this speed. so how dare ye dictate how fast some one should drive... ye have alot of growing up to do. what makes ye so superior in the world of driving.
    its inconsiderate fools like ye that make other drivers nervous and cause crashes. ye just wont be happy til ye mow down someone will ye...

fletch, I don't see what you're contributing to this thread apart from a desire to piss people off.

Anyway, you're in my ignore list now, so post away to your heart's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

fletch wrote:
    "you must not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass"

Just trying to make a point. If the English have chosen to incorporate it into their Highway Code then there must be some logic in my thinking.

This law is there to make sure that as few people as possible are delayed in their journey from A to B.

This goes towards the old ladies, busses, trucks etc.

As opposed to the argument that if I have to break the speed limit to pass you out then you're in the wrong.

The fact of the matter is that the legal limit is just that, A LEGAL LIMIT. You are not supposed to go over it but if you need that extra 5 mph to fuel your need for the rush i.e.
    fletch wrote:
    Men drive fast because its a rush. Speeding gives you a thrill. Its also illegal which again makes it wrong and everyone gets a thrill when they do something that they shouldn´t be doing.

You are free to face the consequences, but if that rush results in the worst case scenario the death of an innocent party (or parties) then I hope it was worth it.

If you want a thrill risk your own life not someone else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

lisa.c wrote:
    sutty... fletch.... show me where it is written that if the speed limit is 60 that all drivers must drive at this speed...the whole point of having limits is to ensure safe driiving to the best of my knowledge no one has to drive at this speed. so how dare ye dictate how fast some one should drive... ye have alot of growing up to do. what makes ye so superior in the world of driving.
    its inconsiderate fools like ye that make other drivers nervous and cause crashes. ye just wont be happy til ye mow down someone will ye...

he's not saying people should drive faster , he said people should be more aware , and considerate of other drivers , by letting them by when it is safe to do so .

fletch wrote:
    I really cannot believe the idiocy of the Irish driving majority

You see? That is the attitude that is causing so many deaths on our road;

"I am a very good driver and everyone else is crap"
    I am a great driver, I am in the minority.

Moronic attitude to motoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

fletch wrote:
    Do people not understand that the right-hand lane is called the overtaking lane, not the I'm gona sit ere and nobodys gona pass me lane

GOD DAMN RIGHT! This annoys me. Everywhere else in continental Europe they understand the outer lane is for OVERTAKING NOT TRAVELLING IN, unless at peak times (which I guess is ok). Irish people like to lane-hug, even the Brits get this concept...

Don't get me started though on Irish motorcyclists - no wonder we have the levels of deaths we have. I ride a motorcycle & some of the stupidity displayed by those on Scooters, pocket rockets & the rest beggers belief..... weaving through traffic is stupid, all it takes is some moron to open a door & you're gone nipple surfing & from experience I can tell you Road Rash is NO laughing matter & the scars can be horrid - again, I bear witness to this from personal experience.

Irish drivers in general compared to our European counterparts are of the assumption it is a right to drive - it's not, it's a privledge & the road sense of the average Irish driver is abysmal....

::: ven0mous :::

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Dont worry Fletch lad, I feel your pain. "People" dont realize that fast driving (ie on or about the speed limit, not crazy 90mph retards) is not necessarily dangerous driving. It depends on WHERE and WHEN you are driving fast.
    Motorways for example, have fewer accidents per car travelled than any other road type, yet have the highest average speed.

*Gasp*

Also, according to insurance statistics from UK, female drivers are 7 times more likely to hit a stationary object than a male driver. However, they are less likely to have a high speed crash, thus less fiscal damage caused by women on average.

Boy racers are fuking **** agreed.

Cant actually believe the passion in people refusal to acknowledge Fletch's valid points, though I agree that getting annoyed at drivers doing 50-60 is *mostly* unjustified, they should have awareness of people around them.

What the hell is wrong with him saying drivers should be aware of others on the road and allow people easy overtaking, when safe (he did say this)?

Paladin wrote:
    Dont worry Fletch lad, I feel your pain.
    Also, according to insurance statistics from UK, female drivers are 7 times more likely to hit a stationary object than a male driver. However, they are less likely to have a high speed crash, thus less fiscal damage caused by women on average.

Boy racers are fuking **** agreed.

Cant actually believe the passion in people refusal to acknowledge Fletch's valid points, though I agree that getting annoyed at drivers doing 50-60 is *mostly* unjustified, they should have awareness of people around them.

What the hell is wrong with him saying drivers should be aware of others on the road and allow people easy overtaking, when safe (he did say this)?
    Nice 2 see a bit of support again.

Paladin wrote:

"Fiscal damage" :rolleyes:
    I can only hope that nobody close to you is killed in a high speed collision.
    Most deaths occur due to excessive speed, not hitting stationary objects, therefore most deaths occur due to men driving too fast.

How's about we concentrate more on the human loses than on the financial ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm with fletch 100%. I haven't read one thing in his posts that I disagree with. People are portraying him as a speed demon who wants to go faster at all costs. Not so. All he is saying is that people should use cop on and common sense and some good old fashioned courtesy on the roads. I guess thats where the saying "the problem with common sense is that its not very common" comes from.

Anyone who deals with the public in their line of work will tell you though that basically 90% of people are morons. People are slagging Fletch about his "unwritten rules of the road" comment for example. Its unwritten because it is common sense and shouldn't have to be written down but because 90% are morons it seems that these common sense rules should be written into the road traffic act.

The UK was mentioned. They have just reached the conclusion earlier then us that the general populace are morons and have amended their road traffic laws accordingly. People slag new labour and the nanny state regulating their lives to the nth degree, but if average joe didn't prove himself devoid of common sense then there would be no need to legistlate for every little thing or write road traffic laws for example laying down best practice for every situation.

Herein lies the problem though. They dont have the common sense to instinctively know the unwritten rules of the road and thus these unwritten rules should be written down. Unfortunately these are the same people who don't RTFM of there car to find out where the indicator stalk is or even read the rules of the road as they stand now. They are hardly going to read the rules of the road which has expanded to 10 volumes in order to incorporate the stuff that they should know anyway.

Its a crying shame that we all have to drive defensively like every other road user is a moron who is likely to do the unexpected or conversely not to do the expected. Its a shame that if every road user used an ounce of cop-on the rest of us wouldn't have to drive like nuns.

Fletch isn't driving like a loony, he is decrying the fact that he has to drive like a nun because of all the morons on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Sleipnir wrote:
    Most deaths occur due to excessive speed, not hitting stationary objects, therefore most deaths occur due to men driving too fast.

[Umm...]
    My apologies for leaving a loop hole for you to intimate that I dont care about human lives, therby influencing the disregard of my posts as coming from a cold hearted money driven person, and not from a sensible safe driver that feels that driving at the legal limit is generaly safe where the conditions allow.
    [/Umm...]

What the hell was the point in THAT nit-picking? I used the word "fiscal"? Good grief...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

The type of disagreements that have been seen here over the 55/60mph speed limit is not a new one.

A speed limit is just that - a limit. A lot of people (I don't just mean some of the posters here) seem to think that the speed limit is the speed that they're supposed to travel at. It's not! It's the maximum speed that you are permitted to travel at.

There was a lot of heated discussion a while back in the press and on the radio when the Gardai said that they would apply points to anyone travelling even ONE Mile per hour over the limit. And the problem was the same as that which we're reading about here: People are travelling at (or as close as possible to) the displayed limit.

I don't wish to add to or renew the argument that has been going back and forward. I do, however, wish to add a new slant.

What if we had a Recommended Speed as well as a Speed Limit? Picture a speed sign with two figures - one on top of the other - separated by a horizontal line. The bottom figure is the recommended speed and the top figure is the speed limit. For example, on the M50 the signs would be 65/70mph, in built-up areas the signs could be 20/30mph.

People wouldn't feel they had to travel at the single figure that is currently being displayed. Other drivers might be more tolerant of others who weren't travelling at the edge of the speed limit because they're aware of the recommended speed for that area.

Since the points for speeding came into force, I've been pretty careful about my speed and I don't let anyone bully me into driving faster. The result is that I'm far less stressed when driving in traffic. When I'm not trying to get from A to B as quickly as possible I'm far more tolerant of other drivers' errors and bad manners. I haven't found that it takes me any longer to get to work. Anything that gets drivers to calm down (and slow down) would be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Sleipnir wrote:

well money is everything to a lot of people so lets not . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Great read

- but you can't argue with the fact that if we all drove slower less people would be killed on the roads.

And if you need a speed buzz - play video games - I can recommend the Manta in Ut2004 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Velcrow wrote:
    Great read

- but you can't argue with the fact that if we all drove slower less people would be killed on the roads.

And if you need a speed buzz - play video games - I can recommend the Manta in Ut2004 :)
    there is a motorway in germany i think somone is bound to know it and there is basicly no speed limit on it ( correct me if im wrong about that ) and it has one of the lowest death rates in the eu . also in the uk they have dubbled the ammount of gasto's but the death rate has risen this year by 500 or so .

dudara - actually ill like u to find where it says that its ilegal to drive on the hard shoulder . cause ive asked this question and the cops dont even know the answer to it .

and yes its extreemly annoying when u find somone traveling at 20 mph on a rd where the limit is tripple that id also go as far as saying thats its more dangerious then speeding (where speeding is 59mph).

if speeding was such a bad thing i wonder why were increasing the spead limits in the country in a few years we must be over populated and the goverment has found its new population controle stratigy .

and if u mail axia and ask them for the stats for rd deaths on the country as a hole ull probably notise that speeding was not involved in 60% of the cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Taken From the Central Statistics Office.

ROAD ACCIDENTS : WHOIS
    INVOLVED , WHERE AND WHEN ?

• In 1996,nearly half of all people killed on Irish roads
    were car users;one quarter were pedestrians, one
    eighth were motorcyclists.

• The greatest number of deaths and injuries occur in
    the 25-34 age group.

• Over 3 times more men than women were killed
    on Irish roads in 1996. Injuries to men from road
    accidents occurred 1.5 times more often than to woman

ROAD ACCIDENTS : MAIN CAUSES

Excessive speed and alcohol are the most common
    contributory factors to road accidents in Ireland. Deaths
    and injuries are also increased by our relatively low rate
    of seat belt wearing.

Speeding
    There is a high level of non-compliance with speed
    limits which have been set for the safe and efficient use
    of our roads.

In 1996 the primary contributory action in fatal
    accidents involving at least one driver was "exceeded
    safe speed" which was noted by the reporting Garda
    in 41% of fatal accidents where a contributory action
    was specified .

IRISH PUBLIC ATTITUDES TO ROAD SAFETY

More ambivalently, some 57% of Irish drivers perceive
    themselves to drive more safely than others. Only
    1.56% of Irish drivers consider that their driving is
    dangerous compared to others.

My own 2$, i find that women tend to be safer and better road users whereas men are usually aggressive, arrogant and generally ignorant.You may disagree but your entitled too.Seamus can i have that 50euro now ? :)

that was 8 years ago ? were mobile phones out then on payg? was the irish economy after having one of the best times it would never have ? when did the law about 1 pint max come out exactly . was around that time wasnt it ?

guards have admitted that drink driving is mostly done and gone now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I HATE getting into cars when my friends are driving, Im always scared to death. One guy has actually crashed about three times , he drives at insane speeds. Young people down the country are even worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

http://www.nsc.ie/whats_new/news_details.cfm?recordID=111&location=main

Its the same old story really.Check cso for more up to date facts.

Inappropriate and excessive speed is a contributory factor in approximately 40% of fatal crashes in Ireland each year. This means that speed related crashes could contribute to the death of about 150 people each year, serious injury to about 600 people each year and minor injury to over 3,000 people each year. The estimated cost to the community of speed related crashes could be about €355 million a year.

Same as 1996.

• Advertisement

seems this years thing with guys is axidents at night
    "Ireland is the only country in Europe where detailed statistics on road deaths are not available. It is hypocritical in the extreme that we have no proper statistics on what role alcohol or drugs play in road accidents," he added

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/3685433?view=Eircomnet

going to find the stats i know there out there somwhere

bingo
    http://www.nra.ie/RoadSafety/RoadSafetyRecords/
    Factors identified by the Gardai as contributing to accidents (where specified) were: driver (86%), pedestrian (10%), road (3%), environment (1%) and vehicle ( <1%).
    In fatal accidents involving two vehicles only, the most frequently cited contributory factor was ‘went to wrong side of road’ (39%).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

guards have admitted that drink driving is mostly done and gone now
    What???

From the Irish Indo last week :

New figures show that during the first six months of the year, gardai arrested 5,430 for drink driving. The figure for the corresponding period last year was 5,470.

"....the apparent static nature of the number of drink-drive arrests will cause serious concern at the highest level."

Full article here

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Slow drivers in my opinion are far far far far far more ****ing annoying and dangerous than speeding people. For some reason in this country people have become ****ing terrified to overtake, so you end up with some gob****e pulling up behind someone doing 40mph on a perfectly good strectch of road.. so they all start to bunch up .. suddenly you got a line of 4 - 5 - 6 -7 cars farting along the ****ing road.

Sweet mother of ****, I was driving from Tallaght to Blessington the other day and this one **** utter ****ing sack of **** mother****er was doing - im not messing - 25mph in a van (10 - 15mph round corners), I counted 16 cars behind him ,16 ! I hate to say this but I've ran people into ditches for that kinda ****..

My solution : We should all be issued with frightningly fast super expensive cars. 1 per person, only 1 ! Get rid of all speed limits , traffic lights , speed bumps , round abouts, pedestrian crossings, all that **** that inhibits you driving 180mph - gone ! GONE ! Now, you gotta enforce this **** fast driving, so all the bad drivers will kill themselves off in high speed collisions etc. Badabing bada boom natural selection, survival of the fittest, call it what you will, has sorted all the driving problems.

Hot damn !
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

*pops nemisis to let out all the steam* sissssssss.......now breath.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Im calm... MOTHER****ER !!!!!

Hot damn..
    Tom

NeMiSiS wrote:
    Im calm... MOTHER****ER !!!!!

Hot damn..
    Tom

roffel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

c0rk3r wrote:
    My own 2$, i find that women tend to be safer and better road users whereas men are usually aggressive, arrogant and generally ignorant.You may disagree but your entitled too.Seamus can i have that 50euro now ? :)
    Nope. I still don't see any statistic that men cause relatively more road accidents than men. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

lisa.c wrote:
    exactly so why should other people risk going faster cause you want them to..or pull in to hard shoulders cause you want to pass them out. if people are comfortable driving at 55 then tough on you they are looking out for themselves not you.

fletch any chance you'll pm me on your reg so i can try avoid you on the road at all costs and if by chance you ever end up behind me i can ring that number on the side of the road and report you..

Lisa.C I have read all your posts and can only assume 1) do not drive and 2) are quite young..

If someone is doing 55 in a 60 mile zone there must be a reason for it.. If the speed limit is 60, it is designated safe to do 60 and to do 55 must mean there is something wrong.. If there is not a valid reason for driving slowly, then one can only assume that person is not confident to drive at the speed limit, thus should not be driving...

Many of the problems on our roads are to do with people making poor decisions. Breaking the speed limit is not the major contributor to road accidents. Indecision, lack of confidence, over confidence and lack awareness is what is responsible for so many accidents.. I am sure you would feel that you are perfectly right in your pig headedness to maintain control over the full lane so the person has to over take you on the other lane where there may be oncoming traffic. Which is more dangerous, pulling over to the hard shoulder or forcing someone to travel against traffic coming the opposite direction..

You are likely one these people who speed up when they are been over taken too!! Causing even more problems!!!

Yes men are involved in more accidents. But what ratio of men to women are there on their roads.. I wonder...

Out of those four problems, what sex suffers from each.. Women in my experience suffer from 3 while men, particularly young men, suffer from the remaining one, over confidence. They are all equally as dangerous but one is easier to pick on than the other because it is more quantifiable.. In many cases speeding is manifested by other factors and that is where indecisiveness, lack of awareness and lack of confidence comes in.

The arguments that some of you are using on some of Fletch's post come straight out of the law books or something. Descression is just as important as the law.. Arguing that someone should not pull over to the hard shoulder to let someone past because you might hit someone parked on the hard shoulder are complete ****e.. If you are the sorta person who would pull over to the hard shoulder without first seeing if someone is there, you must be a fool or hard at seeing.. The first one is more dangerous!!

Sleipnir in particular, you are being incredibly childish in some of your retorts especially considering Fletch is trying to apply commom sense to the argument. You are just picking up on some minor point to get a petty win.. The same applies to Chipzilla.. You are right, the laws of the road agrees with you.. Shame they are not practical in real life.. Oddly enough, an elderly woman was prosecuted in Scotland a few months ago for holding up traffic.. What is the point of spending millions on roads if some muppet holds up peole trying to take advantage of them.

seamus wrote:
    I was driving home last night, doing about 70 on the M50 coming towards the N7 slip road, so I slowed to about 65, changed into the overtaking lane, as did the guy in front of me. Then a guy came off the slip road, across the motorway, and straight onto the overtaking lane at 55mph. So we had to brake. I was expecting it, the guy in front of me wasn't, and flashed a few times. But the guy continued to hold in the overtaking lane, at 55mph. Me and the guy in front were both coming off the M50 at the N4, and when we change back to take the slip road, we were again travelling faster than the other guy, undertaking him. He was oblivious to what was going on. It was the lesser of two evils in this case - I could have chosen to remain at 55mph and not undertaken him, but then I would have held up the traffic in the left-hand lane which was travelling faster.

This is so common. I have often been driving and stuck behind someone in the fast lane on the M1. I could be behind them for 10 minutes and the minute I pull back into the slow lane, they pull over too.. It has happened so many time, hundreds.. Unfortunately people like this cause people to overtake in the inside lane which in itself is not right and dangerous. If the person on the outside lane just moved over as they correctly should have, undertaking would not ever be part of the equation.

For Lisa.C and the people criticising people for driving fast and potentiall causing problems. How may times have you been walking down the highstreet or around a store and have been pissed off by someone walking slow that you can get past?? And how many time have you gone to walk around them and nearly bumped into someone else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

lisa.c wrote:
    ye just wont be happy til ye mow down someone will ye...

don't overreact anyway, lisa c. :rolleyes:

all fletch is saying is that if someone is driving 5/10km below the limit, then they should pull over if possible to let others overtake. he has clearly said that this should only be done when possible - ie. no obstructions on the road ahead, etc.

i fail to see how this makes him an incompetant driver.....

don't overreact anyway, lisa c. :rolleyes:

all fletch is saying is that if someone is driving 5/10km below the limit, then they should pull over if possible to let others overtake. he has clearly said that this should only be done when possible - ie. no obstructions on the road ahead, etc.

i fail to see how this makes him an incompetant driver.....

They think this because they are stupid. They are not capable to thinking for themselves thus believe that if a law is in place it must be right and that anyone disagreeing with it is irresponsible. These people would be the kind of boss you would hate to work for. They no doubt believe that it is wrong to take short cuts in life and that it is immoral to leave work 10 minutes early or sneak out for a small unofficial break.

Think David Brent. Think the next door neighbour who reports your children to the Gardai for playing football on the street, think of anyone that pisses you off.

c0rk3r wrote:

• Over 3 times more men than women were killed
    on Irish roads in 1996. Injuries to men from road
    accidents occurred 1.5 times more often than to woman

Speeding
    There is a high level of non-compliance with speed
    limits which have been set for the safe and efficient use
    of our roads.

The first stat.. Does that take into account whether the driver was a woman with 3 male passengers? Could artifically offset the stats??

The current speed limit on motorways is 70 mph. Is it considered speeding to do 75mph considering the speed limit is being increased to 75mph in coming months?

• Advertisement
Advertisement