Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what makes a good looking dude :E

• 17-08-2004 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

i hear girls going on about the usual stuff like tall dark and handsom and the likes but if you were to describe a good looking guy what would you(as a girl) point out?
    i know as a lad, a girls body is mucho important,maybe even moreso in terms of looks than face,but anyhow,i wanna know what a bird thinks when they see the likes of johnny depp or whatever,what do you like about him as i dont see anything as aposed to when i look at a gorgeous girld (DUH)

might be a bit vague,but im an idiot,sorry :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I tend to find guys who look fit/athletic more attractive than a chap sporting a beer gut or who's quite skinny, or who looks out of shape. I guess that's because I'm into my sport and fitness. It would imply that we might have something in common.
    Nice bum is also good.
    I like to be as tall or smaller than the guy otherwise I'd feel like a heiffer.
    I always go for dark haired men, if I was to go out with a blonde guy we'd probably look like a visiting Sweedish couple.
    Eye colour's not important.
    Good teeth and a good smile is also a must
    Don't like moustaches or beards really.
    Also not a fan of long hair.

*shrug*

This of course is subject to change. In my current mood though...

;)

As regards Johnny Depp et al. I don't tend to find these people attractive. Maybe 'tis because I know they're unattainable or something but they just don't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

johnny depp does it for em
    by god.

for me a "dude" is my kinda guy.
    in terms of likin real good mucis (IMO), and dressing, well, like a "dude", having hell funny personalities,a nd being a real cool guy
    what i think are hot:
    long hair (colour doesnt matter...). grow the hair. just do it....
    nice t-shirts or retro lookin shirts (hell yeah :D)
    cords/jeans
    hhmm - maybe a hat (beanies are always good...)
    shoes...? something that catches my eye (converse?)

apart from that, i dont care about his teeth..
    or eyes.. or much else really

these are just what i like
    and every gal is different

i think you can tell more about a guy from his clothes/way of coming accross than his natural physical features, as these are more the things he influences, and i think it helps to have some kind of idea of what the guy is like

but yeah, just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And the last two posts prove, quite conclusively, that there is no one-size-fits-all definition of attractive.

As long as you're friendly and you don't smell, you shouldn't have a problem finding a woman who thinks you're attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

seamus wrote:
    And the last two posts prove, quite conclusively, that there is no one-size-fits-all definition of attractive.

As long as you're friendly and you don't smell, you shouldn't have a problem finding a woman who thinks you're attractive.

That's true, there's an ugly girl out there for every ugly guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ruby_s

to be fair, most guys look the same from the neck down (once they're dressed obv!!!),so if a guy makes good eye contact, and doesn't resemble jabba the hut, they're in with a fightin chance. girls can't stare at tits and asses like you guys can so really it's down to your face and personality. as long as you look like you've washed at least once in the past week, and your trousers cover both socks and jocks, you're flyin.
    personally, i reckon any guy looks ten times more attractive if they smile, so get over the whole brooding good looks thing, it's only sexy on tv! other than that, one womans minger is another girls sex-god. us ladies are strange creatures,go figure ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Some hair on the head is good - a lot of Irish guys shave their heads or only let their hair grow to about 1 cm. It is possible to carry this off if you have striking features but generally, having a "halo" of hair makes a person look better.

Red faces, I don't like but I don't think there's much a person can do about this.

Be fit, beer bellies are gross!

Clothes: Avoid tracksuits or those check shirt and wrangler jean ensembles so popular with culchie men!

that's about all I can think of as general advice. i tend to judge a guy's looks by the overall impression than focusing on tiny details, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I agree with that. Were all different, and we all like different types of guys - so in a way everyones in with a chance!
    I'd personally go for slim, but well built guys, short hair (any colour) thats slightly spiked up with gel (just slightly now), casual dress sense - say jeans/combats and a nice t-shirt, and a nice pair of runners or canvass shoes. Think Lukas from "one tree hill" and you get the general idea! Beards or mustaches are not nice at all, although a few days stubble can look attractive. Like I said its different for everyone. One of my friends is into really really big guys with tatoos and shaven heads!
    Looks don't really matter in the end though. If you find a guy that your really comfortable with, that makes you laugh, and that you want to be with then most girls will go for it no matter what they look like! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i cant believe how much girls care about what a guy wears...i suppose its the same way that girls require guys with a certain amount of money and a guy that will look good with them (so their friends can see what a cute couple they make etc). also girls require a tall guy so me being 5'8 dosnt help...girls are just as shallow as guys no doubt about it, its the cloths thing that really annoys me...beanie hats, wtf?? i hate beanie hats

never mind me, i dont have that much cash, i'm not very fit, i'm not tall, dark or very handsom, well i'm not a dog but.....nevermind.

ferdi wrote:
    i cant believe how much girls care about what a guy wears...i suppose its the same way that girls require guys with a certain amount of money and a guy that will look good with them (so their friends can see what a cute couple they make etc). also girls require a tall guy so me being 5'8 dosnt help...girls are just as shallow as guys no doubt about it, its the cloths thing that really annoys me...beanie hats, wtf?? i hate beanie hats

never mind me, i dont have that much cash, i'm not very fit, i'm not tall, dark or very handsom, well i'm not a dog but.....nevermind.

if i had rambled on, i wouldvbe got to the fact that i dont care what a guy wears
    he asked for some advice, so i was simply giving my opinion on what catches my eye, NOT what i look for

i do NOT look for a guy who'll look good "with" me :(

but can you honestly say that theres not some things that girls wear that reallt attracts you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

ferdi wrote:

Girls are def more hung up a chaps looks than they would like to admit. Clothes (classy, clean, expensive), shoes(smart), hands (not bitten clean, not too womanly), bum (tight, not flat, not fat), eyebrows (not joined), spots (no), height (not small, not beanpole), fitness, shoulders, arms, hair (not balding) and as for the rest....girls talk. Lads shouldn't assume to be immune from the harsh criticism from the opposite sex when it comes to appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Meh,

/me scrathes arse

Sounds like alot of work tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

in relation to fitness....

i'm prety fit, six pack etc... was out on a date last night, and she brought this up, "you look like you look after yourself" etc....

she then said, don't go over board, as in don't get too fit, i've come accross this before, read it in a girly mag (not mine, i live with a few chicks ;) )

i get the impression that if you look after yourself, you're branded a poser.

i think girls like a bit of rough sometimes

if your prettier and better groomed and fitter than tem, they probaby wont like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

For me a good looking dude is:

Tall (taller than me anyway)
    Dark Hair (long or short, NOT skin head)
    Brown eyes (god, i LOVE brown eyes)
    Body: doesnt have to have a 6pack but i dont like the idea of a beer belly

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

and just to prove that as you get older your standards drop

as long as he showers and makes me laugh
    he's in
    :D

so girls really do go for the cliched look for guys?

2003mensw05_40.jpg

mens.jpg

cause i deffinitly wouldnt go for the typical cliched tiny waste big tits model looks type of girl - i'd be far to intmidated and plus most people like that are bitches.

my reseach over the past mounths has relealed the following:

women are living in a fantasy world where all men:

~ can afford great clothes (and have the low self esteem to have to wear expensive clothes) and constantly keep up with whatever bull**** is in fashion at that moment

~ are 5'11 or above in height

~ earn loads of cash

~have their own gaf

~ have tight peach-like buttocks and washboard stomachs

~face, hair, body hair all perfectly groomed

~visit the gym regularly and are broad shoulders with big sailor like arms

on the personality side of things women seem to make bull**** sweeping statements about a liking guys with a good sense of humour and who are kind but this seems to be of secondry importance.

end result - the majority of women seem to completely superficical.

Ouch. Spot the bitter one.

Don't believe everything that magazines tell you.

Women haven't a clue what they want.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Bitter as a lemon.

seamus wrote:
    Ouch. Spot the bitter one.

Don't believe everything that magazines tell you.

Women haven't a clue what they want.

bitter maybe, not a very attractive feature i know but boards.ie allows me to vent, thats why i love it.

after reading my last post people will probably have an image of me as a small bitter overweight unemployed/unemployable slobish women-hating little goblin sitting in front of my pc home alone wondering why i have no friends.

ferdi wrote:
    bitter maybe, not a very attractive feature i know but boards.ie allows me to vent, thats why i love it.

after reading my last post people will probably have an image of me as a small bitter overweight unemployed/unemployable slobish women-hating little goblin sitting in front of my pc home alone wondering why i have no friends.
    No change there then :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

ferdi wrote:
    an image of me as a small bitter overweight unemployed/unemployable slobish women-hating little goblin sitting in front of my pc home alone wondering why i have no friends.
    don't sell yourself short dude...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Perhaps if you vented in real life then women would find you more interesting instead of staying quiet because you won't take a risk.

ah i'm not actually slobbish unemployed women hating or overweight and i have friends....i just dont get women at all, figuratively of literally :(

ferdi wrote:
    after reading my last post people will probably have an image of me as a small bitter overweight unemployed/unemployable slobish women-hating little goblin sitting in front of my pc home alone wondering why i have no friends

couldn't have put it better meself....
    you left out the word 'smelly' by the way

I didn't like any of the guys in the pictures you posted up, for the the simple reason that they all look to serious. A big smile in anyone can be a lot more attractive than a broody good looking guy! :D

Beruthiel wrote:
    couldn't have put it better meself....
    you left out the word 'smelly' by the way

thanks beruthiel, you always know the right thing to say :p

Nice clothes don't have to be expensive btw.

Exactly simu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

nice personalities are expensive though.

i know. i paid lots for this piece of crap!#@!

• Advertisement

agreed but when you add womens desire for nice clothes on a man and their(even stronger) desire for a man with money - nice clothes tend to end up being expensive

in general girls don't go for lemons, or try hards. so just be yourself. but not too much.

ruby_s wrote:
    but not too much.

Er, what exactly does that mean?

You either want the guy to be himself or you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

girls are twats :)

it means be yourself, but for god-sakes don't let her know you can bite your own toe-nails or you won a silver medal in the community games when you were eleven. keep those parts of yourself til you've got her to sleep with you at least.

boys smell :P

The question asked in the original post was "what makes a good looking dude" that implies looks/appearance. Why are people getting so hung up on the fact that personality isn't really mentioned here? If you want to know what type of person is attractive then don't just ask about looks and be upset when only aesthetics are discussed.

*shrug*

• Advertisement

what i mean is if a guy is trying too hard, they don't appear as attractive as they could. so i suppose its different strokes for different folks and all that, but if a guy looked uncomfortable in himself it wouldn't really matter how aesthetically apealling he appeared on the outside, they wouldn't float my boat. but that's just one girls opinion.

Either they're being themselves or they're not. I don't think you'd be happy or know what you really wanted no matter how they acted to be honest.

that would explain why i'm single.

ferdi wrote:
    agreed but when you add womens desire for nice clothes on a man and their(even stronger) desire for a man with money - nice clothes tend to end up being expensive

it aint what you wear, its the way that you wear it.... ;)
    a plain black standard tshirt is the perfect example, whether its from Pennys or Armani.

some people carry it off real well (from past experience... ) where as others dont pull it off to the same extent

its what you wear with it, or how you carry yourself IMO.

and im a big fan of cheap clothes.
    pennys is my second home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Beruthiel wrote:

as long as he showers and makes me laugh
    he's in

You're off limits !!!!

As already said, nice clothes dont have to be expensive. I've found this out in recent years, after briefly flirting with designer labels.

I'm glad that chapter in my life is closed.

• Advertisement

You're off limits !!!!

I was speaking hypothetically you cabbage!

thanks beruthiel, you always know the right thing to say

I know!
    thanks for noticing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

The object of every woman's desire:
    t19255.jpg

As a lad, i'm convinced of it

Meh... only if the trousersnake rumour is true otherwise I'm not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i dont like my men too big, i find overly defined muscles unattractive and i dont really like guys that are too tall. my size or a little taller is fine. i like skinny guys but they dont need to have washboard stomachs. i'd have to have something like that myself before i could expect it :D any guy that spends more time on their hair/appearance/clothes shopping than me is a big no no. and i spend very little time on any of these things. tbh i find flashing labels and being in fashion pretty unattractive too. as long as a guy wears clothes that fit him and suit him reasonably well i wont complain. i like long hair if it suits the guy, but thats not the case with alot of men. of course any vaguely well dressed or decent looking guy wouldn't even look at me so i dont have to worry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I think women demand quite a lot...overtly or not. The kind of guy you ask for - somewhat fit, somewhat smart, confident, etc. isn't exactly abundant. I know some of you are saying you don't want a body-builder but that strikes me as a way of avoiding the stereotypical cocky/better-looking guy than yourselves!

All I'm trying to say is - the toned-down image that seems to be coming up isn't totally achievable for many...for instance if a guy is relatively young it's quite likely he won't have got his life so sorted that he's confident, well-dressed (i.e. decide on a look he's comfortable with) and sporty, etc. If I think back to school days that was about 15% of my year and even then who knows if it was genuine or just copying their older brother.

That's just my 2cs.

P.S. My girlfriend hates Justin... :)

Justin's a gímp alright.

Guy Pearce looked good in the film Memento (tis a class film as well) but in other pictures I've seen of him he has freakishly scrawny cheekbones. Annoying mendacious camera!

blondie83 wrote:
    I agree with that. Were all different, and we all like different types of guys - so in a way everyones in with a chance!
    I'd personally go for slim, but well built guys, short hair (any colour) thats slightly spiked up with gel (just slightly now), casual dress sense - say jeans/combats and a nice t-shirt, and a nice pair of runners or canvass shoes. Think Lukas from "one tree hill" and you get the general idea! Beards or mustaches are not nice at all, although a few days stubble can look attractive. Like I said its different for everyone. One of my friends is into really really big guys with tatoos and shaven heads!
    Looks don't really matter in the end though. If you find a guy that your really comfortable with, that makes you laugh, and that you want to be with then most girls will go for it no matter what they look like! :cool:

Aww come on...someone gave me negative karma for that post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Seraphina wrote:
    i like long hair if it suits the guy, but thats not the case with alot of men.

Is that a dig at anyone in particular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I don't go for looks but if I was then I like tall guys, sparkling eyes, full lips dark hair, build is not important (though I hate six packs) and a nice a$$...but as I have said before, I don't go for looks - tbh a sexy voice is more important if we are talking physical attributes...they have to be very intelligent, funny, kind, sensitive and ambitious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

this is what makes a good looking dude ;)
    nick%20lachey.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement