Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the craic with girls not being able to parallel park?

• 17-08-2004 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

I mean honestly. Why?
    I was in Ranelagh the other day walking along. I saw someone trying to park, and taught nothing of it. Then I heard a bang - so naturally I looked.

I stopped to see what would happen next. The driver hadn't hit the car in front too hard, but I figured a cracked bumper at least. I was expecting to see the driver get out and check for damage - but no! The driver puts it in reverse and, honest to god, back up into the car behind. Bang! The driver put it back into first. Bang! It total, the driver hit the car in front 3 times and the car behind twice.

I was in shock, but I waited to see the driver get out. Low-and-behold, out pops a woman. ...and off she strutted, down the road, with not a care in the world!

I see other ridiculous parking stunts by women - but this was the best example.
    So while all young lads tear around like speeding lunatics, I ask you - why all can't women parallel park?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Them mirrors ain't for yer makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Zulu wrote:
    I mean honestly. Why?
    I was in Ranelagh the other day walking along. I saw someone trying to park, and taught nothing of it. Then I heard a bang - so naturally I looked.

I stopped to see what would happen next. The driver hadn't hit the car in front too hard, but I figured a cracked bumper at least. I was expecting to see the driver get out and check for damage - but no! The driver puts it in reverse and, honest to god, back up into the car behind. Bang! The driver put it back into first. Bang! It total, the driver hit the car in front 3 times and the car behind twice.

I was in shock, but I waited to see the driver get out. Low-and-behold, out pops a woman. ...and off she strutted, down the road, with not a care in the world!

I see other ridiculous parking stunts by women - but this was the best example.
    So while all young lads tear around like speeding lunatics, I ask you - why all can't women parallel park?
    Women do not know where their car is on the road. My mam drives a Fiat Panda, but sit her into my dad´s mondeo and you´d swear she was captaining the QE2. They have no concept of distances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

fletch wrote:
    Women do not know where their car is on the road. My mam drives a Fiat Panda, but sit her into my dad´s mondeo and you´d swear she was captaining the QE2. They have no concept of distances.

Yes. Every single woman is the same. EVERY ONE!! I'm happy to say that my girlfriend is an excellent driver. Better than most blokes I've seen drive and safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Yes. Every single woman is the same. EVERY ONE!! I'm happy to say that my girlfriend is an excellent driver. Better than most blokes I've seen drive and safer.
    Well shes the exception....and we all know there are exceptions to every rule. I work with a a girl from the North and she has such an understanding of road manners and behaviour, its astounding. However for the most part, my mother typifies women drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Oh Loon, you so crazya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Zulu, you have serious issues with women. You may want to speak to a therapist about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Zulu wrote:

She didn't by an chance have an Italian look about her because apparantly in italy that is the way people park. At least from what I've seen anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

women are bad drivers..
    no men are bad drivers..
    no women are...

Hilarity ensues, and then we realise that idiots are bad drivers, and we all shake hands.

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

koneko wrote:
    Zulu, you have serious issues with women. You may want to speak to a therapist about that.
    Issues - yes. :)
    Serious - hardly. :eek:

I mearly started this thread as a joke to counter the boy racer one. I'd be glad to entertain your point though. Care to back it up? :p

Just basing it on the sheer amount of times you've posted this :p
    ....once again Zulu sings:

Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money!

Just a bit touchy, sorry, I'm just sick of the amount of women-driver bashing that goes on (on the Motors board here in particular). Don't mind me :)

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    Just basing it on the sheer amount of times you've posted this :p
    Ahhh - i hear ya. I've posted that so much due to the recurrent theme that crops up the whole time. People don't seem to understand..... better not start that rant. Point taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's not a rant, as a generalisation it's becoming more and more true in Irish society. Not true of all women by a longshot, but a scarily large and growing section of them.

Can you believe - I got negative reputation points and an insult for this thread. :(

It's after-hours you numchuck; it's a joke. :rolleyes:

...unless you were that driver! :D

It wasn't me (i know that's probably what you thought :p)

koneko wrote:
    It wasn't me (i know that's probably what you thought :p)
    Nope, I wouldn't have taught it was you either - I got it way after we had our little chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Draíochta

It's not a joke there are a high degree of women drivers, although i've started teaching my wife to drive and she's doing much better than I done when I was learning, so it's not a hard set rule. But I seen some strange things, one of the more scary is how some women take the ostrich approach. I'm talking about following the car in frount blindly, 'if I don't look, i'll be ok' wtf! now that is scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Zulu wrote:
    Can you believe - I got negative reputation points and an insult for this thread. :(

It's after-hours you numchuck; it's a joke. :rolleyes:

and a good one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

At the risk of getting negative reputation points and come across as being sexist..

It's a well documented fact that "in general" women score lower on tests involving spacial awareness than men, like everything else in life this does not apply to everyone or everything but is a general rule of thumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Boils down to a few things, first being confidence and another being tunnel vision. Women have a wider field of vision than men but are not able to judge widths or distances as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

forward these results to Zulu for his sig.

Iago wrote:
    At the risk of getting negative reputation points and come across as being sexist..

It's a well documented fact that "in general" women score lower on tests involving spacial awareness than men, like everything else in life this does not apply to everyone or everything but is a general rule of thumb.
    Whoever got me - is gonna be comming back for you! ;)

quarryman wrote:
    forward these results to Zulu for his sig.
    Do do do!

I believe it is alsodown to practice, we all know if you practice something you get better. Well most men I know once played football/tennis/golf/pool/darts, you get my drift. This gives better co-ordination, someone who is good at football may also be a good pool player and even a good golfer, men take this approach to driving, they take pride in their 'driving skills'. This could be why we have so many boy racers, they think they are showing skills (very stupid, but it's how they think), women who have attempted sports, or other such activities tent to be good drivers. On the other hand there are women who have not much practice with improving there phisical skills, when I couldn't do certain things in a car I spend hours of repeditive practice until I improved, I read the rules of the road so as not to loose face, how many women do that, and how many men. This is of course my own personal opinion, and I don't have any real stats to back it up, but does it not make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Dra&#237 wrote: »
    I believe it is alsodown to practice, we all know if you practice something you get better. Well most men I know once played football/tennis/golf/pool/darts, you get my drift. This gives better co-ordination, someone who is good at football may also be a good pool player and even a good golfer, men take this approach to driving, they take pride in their 'driving skills'. This could be why we have so many boy racers, they think they are showing skills (very stupid, but it's how they think), women who have attempted sports, or other such activities tent to be good drivers. On the other hand there are women who have not much practice with improving there phisical skills, when I couldn't do certain things in a car I spend hours of repeditive practice until I improved, I read the rules of the road so as not to loose face, how many women do that, and how many men. This is of course my own personal opinion, and I don't have any real stats to back it up, but does it not make sense?

id agree with the above .

its hard to say all x are the same even math can make a x into a y just need the it in the right circumstances . but im installing them bleepers that tell you how far away from the car your reversing twards is . this aint for anyreason in paticular becides i know im crap at parrallel parking and dont wana have to trash somones car to prove it to myself

ah yes elexes, this is how you are different from the woman with 3 to the car in front and 2 to the one behind. You think about other road users, man by any chance? Another thing which annoys men on the road but is ok else where is:

'Oh look a gentleman, holding the door open'

Most men will allow a woman to go first through a doorway, but not always another man. On a road this does not apply as you cannot always see the sex of the other driver. So the rule on the road has gone different, if you can let someone out, let them out. Women seem to miss this. Manners are very important, drivers without manners are considered bad drivers, so women who are used to being treated with respect by men, on the road are greeted with the phrase 'see a woman, knew it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

man by any chance?
    indeed i am . i know personaly that if somone hit my car no matter if it was male or female id treat them the same as did happen 4 weeks after i got the bloody yoke ... a well its fixed now so cant complain much ( took bloody 3 months to get it fixed )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

don't you know that the male and female brain are different??? i thought that was kind of obvious :rolleyes: its been proven that the region that has to do with spatial activites and the problems associated with it are better developed in men, while in women the region to do with emotions is far more developed..amongst other things...http://acmi.canoe.ca/CNEWSScience0003/21_map.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

May I point you all to this parrallel parking game - My best was 3.6 seconds. :cool:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pparkgame.html

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Guinness Book of records....women
    Car Parking
    The smallest kerbside space successfully reversed into by a woman was one
    of 19.36m (63ft 2ins), equivalent to three standard parking spaces, by
    Mrs. Elizabeth Simpkins, driving an unmodified Vauxhall Nova 'Swing' on 12th
    Oct 1993. She started the manoeuvre at 11.15am in Ropergate, Pontefract, and successfully parked within three feet of the pavement 8 hours 14 minutes
    later.There was slight damage to the bumpers and wings of her own and two
    adjoining cars, as well as a shop frontage and two lamp posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Rofl! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

zulu what makes you so superior to women?, i mean in all fairness.. the only point i see in your posts is to knock women...is this because you have been repeatedly rejected by us??? another thing, i see a pattern in ur threads you seem to base new threads on what other posters have posted... is this because you think you'll get a good response and therefore feel wanted??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

lisa.c wrote:
    zulu what makes you so superior to women?, i mean in all fairness.. the only point i see in your posts is to knock women...is this because you have been repeatedly rejected by us??? another thing, i see a pattern in ur threads you seem to base new threads on what other posters have posted... is this because you think you'll get a good response and therefore feel wanted??

a feminist who puts people down............run boys.........run .

oh and Capt'n Midnight: ROFL . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

One thing you will probably notice alot.. A man can accept that women are better at certain stuff than men because of way we evolved, but a woman will not accept that a man can be better at something for the exact same reason...

Men have evolved to be better at tasks such as driving while women are better at other things. Yet women will argue that men are better no matter what. They will quote statistics about accidents involving man and women to back up there argument. But if you use the logic that there is considerably more male drivers on the roads they dismiss it as crazy.

lisa.c wrote:
    Lisa - this is a joke thread. :rolleyes: Hence it's in After Hours.
    I post new threads based on what others post, partially because they inspire me, partially because of somthing called interaction. I don't see myself as superior to women. (Just everyone else on the planet :p )
    Because I may have disagreed with you in the past, there is no need for personal insults. Get over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's also a theory that because of the way we play when we grow up, men have a more realistic concept of cause and effect than women do. That is, because boys are constantly cuts knees and bloody noses from playing football, fighting, climbing trees, jumping off of shed roofs, that their sense of "A causes B to happen" is better defined than women's is, since girls tend to play less rough, and quieter. The theory cites this as one reason why women may be more likely to get completely wasted than men, and why women drivers tend to brake later, observe less, and young women drive fast.

It's all a rich tapestry...

The wat things are going we may as well start a thread about the differences between men and women and the differences our brains have .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

I think you just hit the nail on the head seamus, although I think it go's a little further, Its also due to society.Just look at how toys are gender based in our so called age of equality, Boys get mechanical toys that develop spatial awareness and technical knowledge, girls get.....BARBIE.
    Nuff said.

Simply solved tho, put your kids in front of p.c and voila 20! years later you get a generation of male and female nerds who live as equals on the net.Breeding may be a problem however :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Here's somewhere to practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i can parallell park.. its not a great achievement lads.. its about confidence and practice.. but i also drive fast, thats def not a male thing either. there are crap drivers from both sexes.. i find a lot of men don't bother indicating on the dual carraigeway.. drives me crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ajnag wrote:
    I think you just hit the nail on the head seamus, although I think it go's a little further, Its also due to society.Just look at how toys are gender based in our so called age of equality, Boys get mechanical toys that develop spatial awareness and technical knowledge, girls get.....BARBIE.
    Nuff said.
    Studies have shown that given the choice, boys will play at war and girls will play at house, without any kind of prompting. Boys would take the barbie and blow it up or something....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

lisa.c wrote:
    Well, I found it funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

I feel I can parallel park ok, I used to have to every day and night where I lived in Dublin so I had to learn or not park the car ;) I'll agree that most women can't parallel park - but neither can some men (My Dad included ;)) It's the same as everything else (bar childbirth - though I'm sure men would be ok at that if they had to....then again maybe not......problems handling pain etc ;)) some men are good at it something while most women are - or some women are good at something while most men are. Some things we're equal at.

funny "quote" from Guinness book - I know some women like that. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm a male who's not great at parallel parking but if anything it's 'cause I'm over cautious. I don't want to hit another car and I don't want to damage my alloys by scraping them off a kerb (quite easy to do when reversing into a space where there's a high kerb) Also, having a largish car with poor rear visibility and a high rear deck doesn't help. The high back on my car makes the nose of the car behind disappear from view long before I get close to it.

As has been said before, women IN GENERAL are not as into cars or driving as guys are. Most girls I know don't give a **** about their own or anyone else's car and think that bumpers are there to be used to help them get into a space :rolleyes:

The worst is when you see some dopey "soccer mom" trying to park a jeep with bullbars and/or towbar. If she hits another vehicle she's going to do serious damage even at very low speed. Most of these idiots don't know this and will hammer their jeeps off someone elses car and just drive off blissfully unaware that they've just done a grands worth of damage to someone elses property :mad:

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

BrianD3 wrote:

As has been said before, women IN GENERAL are not as into cars or driving as guys are. Most girls I know don't give a **** about their own or anyone else's car and think that bumpers are there to be used to help them get into a space :rolleyes:

BrianD3

I've said this in most of the aformentioned 'women drivers' threads in the past.

Girls! Don't want to bother learning the minuatae of programming the video?...don't worry love.
    Girls! Don't want to learn the minuatae of how to fix a leaking sink? Fine, don't worry love.
    Girls! Don't want to bother learning about how to protect your PC from virus' and worms? Fine, don't worry love. (Actually no, do learn!)

Girls! Don't want to bother learning the minuatae of driving and car maintenance? Not fine, its a 2 tonne ****ing killing machine you silly bint, LEARN ALL THE BORING DETAIL LOVE.....FOR YOUR OWN AND EVERYONE ELSES SAKE!!!

oh and before someone quotes fatal accident statistics for young males. That is not a defense of general poor female driving ability etc etc.

:D:D All the above was 'semi' tongue in cheek. I'm not a raving chauvinist or woman hater etc. I find it endearing that the GF relies on 'her man' to tune in her new TV or program her video etc It is not endearing however that' in general' a woman will treat a car the same as a video. ie "ah sure I only need to know how to press play and stop...or....ah sure the BF can tune the tv in for me" ........." ah sure as long as I can make the car go forward, back, left and right......."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I would go along with the childhood toys theme - my brother was always more into computer games than I was (though it was more to do with getting him off the computer)...not all women are technophobes - I was the one who sorted the video etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

seamus wrote:
    Studies have shown that given the choice, boys will play at war and girls will play at house, without any kind of prompting. Boys would take the barbie and blow it up or something....

Peer pressure starts at a young age - my brothers used to rob my Barbies when they thought no one was looking, though!

As for parking, I can't drive at all but if I do get a car one day, I'll learn all about the mechanics of it and all the skills needed to drive and park - if you use a machine, be that a computer, car or anything else, you ought to know how to use it properly.

simu wrote:
    As for parking, I can't drive at all but if I do get a car one day, I'll learn all about the mechanics of it and all the skills needed to drive and park - if you use a machine, be that a computer, car or anything else, you ought to know how to use it properly.

I am reading this right ?.............is that a woman with sense........... :eek: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think I'm in love, Simu!!! :D:D

Advertisement