Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finnan To Spurs?

• 17-08-2004 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Reports Suggest today in the Irish Mirror, that Steve Finnan could make a shock move to Tottenham Hotspur. The paper says that Liverpool have recieved a formal offer from Spurs and Rafa Benitez is likely to accept the Transfer as continues to have a clear-out at Anfield. With having signed Josemi Rafa seems to believe that Josemi can be a permanent fixture in Finnan's position. Santini wants Finnan to replace Steve Carr.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

IMNSVHO we can do without medicore players at anfield. He should not be part of a squad hoping to compete for the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

IMNSVHO we can do without medicore players at anfield. He should not be part of a squad hoping to compete for the championship.

Medicore? is that why he was voted best right back in PL 2 seasons ago? :rolleyes: injury was the only problem he had last season! anyway it will be a pity if he goes to spurs because Kelly wont get a chance then! he has got injuryed at the wrong time now as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Finian is not a mediocre player He was unlucky with injuries and one of many Liverpool players that didn't perform to his full potentianl under Houlier. He will be agood signing for whoever gets him.

So with Diouf gone to Bolton as well the clearout at anfield continues but who will be coming in to replace them Alonso Mista?

I dont care what he was voted two seasons ago. He isnt good enough now. besides rafa seems to prefer him at RM, which ihe certainly hasnt got the guile for.

Heskey was part of the panel for player of the year 2001......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Lets judge Finnan by what he has done in recent games. I dont rate him as mediocre, although I dont rate him as a world beater either. But in a Liverpool team that has Riise, Carragher and Hyppia in defence and Finnan filling in for right midfield, surely he deserves to be in that line-up.

I think it would be ludicrous for Benitez to sell Steve F to another premiership team at this stage of the season. He is very useful at right back (with his going forward skills) and can fill right midfield when tasked. He's a decent crosser of the ball and links and supports players well.

I'm not too happy with too much of a clear-out. Isnt that what Houllier did as well? Sure, Liverpool need good players that are motivated and working for the team. I would put Finnan in that category from looking at his performances on the field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I'd be happy if he came to Spurs, I think he can be really good if he just stays healthy :)

muffen wrote:
    I'd be happy if he came to Spurs, I think he can be really good if he just stays healthy :)

Would you not rather see Kelly play who has come thru the ranks and looks like a really good talent? just checked the Spurs site and the physio says he will be back for Sat weeks game!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Under Benitez, Valencia had four solid defenders which were the platform for the style of play he likes to play.

Josemi is good going forward but he's not afraid of going in to biting tackles either which is what Benitez is looking for and he's not going to get from Finnan - don't think there's an aggresive bone in his body. It doesn't make financial sense to keep a player on £30k+ a week in the squad when they're not going to play regularly. In the event of Josemi picking up a suspension or injury, there's Carragher or one of the reserves such as Otsemobor to cover the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

the problem is cover, if finnan goes and carra is needed in another position, are the reserves good enough, the squad is looking very thin yet players continue to leave

its a pity finnan didn't play that well, it was good to have an irish player getting games for liverpool

didn't rafa say he wasn't going to make wholesale changes? hes surely shipped out a load of players

If he aint getting his game would rather see him leave but 2 a club other than Spurs! let Kelly get his game and progress! Irish squad, Carr/Finnan/Kelly for right back! aint bad! :D

• Advertisement

Bannor wrote:
    Under Benitez, Valencia had four solid defenders which were the platform for the style of play he likes to play.

Otsemobor to cover the position.

Semi is out on loan at the moment, but if Finnan does head to the spurs i think he will be recalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

IMO Finnan is in the top 2/3 defensive RB's in the premiership. He may not be as good going forward as someone like Carr but he's a superb defender. Liverpool's loss...

Semi is out on loan at the moment, but if Finnan does head to the spurs i think he will be recalled.

Not sure how he can be recalled if they sell him???????? wont be let go on a loan!! cold hard cash or nothin from reports so far!!

Who is he on loan with?

Not sure how he can be recalled if they sell him???????? wont be let go on a loan!! cold hard cash or nothin from reports so far!!

I dont know if i confused you with my post but its ostemobor thats on loan.

Bannor, he went to Hull in March to get first team experience, it is thought at that he may go back but IMO he will stay if Finnan goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would not like to see him go. I am a fan of his and think that he is a good defender as well as having good ability when on the attack. He acquitted himself fairly well last week and with a bit of experience perhaps he could work in either.

Bannor, he went to Hull in March to get first team experience, it is thought at that he may go back but IMO he will stay if Finnan goes.
    Was that not 2003? He went on loan to Bolton last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i thought finnan looked suspect as a defender from what i saw last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

eyerer wrote:
    i thought finnan looked suspect as a defender from what i saw last season

what did we see of him last season?

i reckon heskey scored more times than finnan started!! :rolleyes:

am i wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Finnan was injured for most of last season, wasn't he? (as was Hamann, Baros, even Owen). I think we can say that he isn't the best right back in the world, but he's ok (better than Riise I think in terms of defensive qualities) and fast, and given his skills going forward, he is a useful player. I dont think Liverpool have two better right-backs than him and as long as that is the case then he should be in the team/squad of 20+goalies.

I think there are other areas of the pitch that need changing first. For example, who do we have at left midfield to replace Kewell if he gets injured? Who at right-back along with Riise? Who in the centre when/if Hyppia and Carragher are out?

I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on Liverpool's top-20 players in a 4-4-2 formation and see if Finnan cant make that. To me, I think he can. Only if he cant should he be sold (or if he has discipline, motivational "issues" with the club, etc, which I dont think he has).

thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I hope finnan isn't sold as I think he has potential.

Anyone know why rafa didn't give diouf a chance to prove himself during the summer friendlies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone know why rafa didn't give diouf a chance to prove himself during the summer friendlies?

Cos he's crap. No more, no less.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Stekelly wrote:
    Cos he's crap. No more, no less.

no he certainly isnt crap. hes very talented but supposedly has a bad attitude and benitez isnt goin to put up with it. Stekelly go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

mayordenis wrote:
    no he certainly isnt crap. hes very talented but supposedly has a bad attitude and benitez isnt goin to put up with it. Stekelly go home.

at this time , and on a Wednesday im going to guess he is home .
    Stekelly at the time of mayor's post were you home ?

mayordenis wrote:
    no he certainly isnt crap. hes very talented

Is this the same guy we are thinking of? Lots of tricks, but the acceleration of a snail.

Advertisement