Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool confirm Nunez signing

• 17-08-2004 12:38pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Liverpool have completed the signing of Antonio Nunez from Real Madrid on a three year deal.
    The 25 year old right sided midfielder trained with his new team-mates at Melwood today after passing a medical.

Nunez, who made 10 appearances for Real Madrid last season, has signed in at Anfield as part of the deal which took Michael Owen in the opposite direction last week.

He has been allocated squad number 12 at Anfield and could be in line to make his debut this weekend against Manchester City.

Nunez started his football career with Spanish outfit San Federico before joining nearby third division side CD La Rozas.

In 2001 he was spotted by Real Madrid - the team he idolised as a boy - and scored twice in 24 reserve games in his first season with the Spanish giants.

The following season he struck nine more goals for the reserves before finally earning a place in the first team squad for the 2003-04 campaign as excitement grew that Madrid had discovered the natural successor to legend Luis Figo.

He made a dream start for Madrid as he netted an equaliser on his debut to secure a 1-1 draw with Villareal in September 2003.

Nunez becomes Rafael Benitez's second signing since taking over as Liverpool manager following the arrival of Josemi last month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Huzzah. Now for Alonso, Colloccini, Mista and another RM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

good stuff
    interested in seeing how good he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dub13 wrote:
    He made a dream start for Madrid as he netted an equaliser on his debut to secure a 1-1 draw with Villareal in September 2003. .

Seen that game and from what I can remember he did alright....well taken goal but as usual they where all talkin about Beckham cause he crossed it! :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rumours we are going to make a 3m move for Manchester Citys young
    defender Joey Barton,a good source.

Dub13 wrote:

Is he not a midfielder? can play on the right! loses da rag every few games and that why City are getting rid of him!

• Advertisement

I am not sure if he is a defender or a Midfielder as I have not seen much of him,but I hear the club are talking to Man City.Last time I saw him play was Last season when he got sent off to inspire Man City's comeback against Spurs from 3-0 down to win 4-3.For swearing at the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Ehm, Rafa said he wasn't so interested in SWP due to knowing little about him - what knowledge does he have of Joey Barton if most of us can't figure out where he plays :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Is he not a midfielder? can play on the right! loses da rag every few games and that why City are getting rid of him!

he's a defensive midfielder(centre) with a serious attitude problem .
    He can play a holding role , but I am sure I wouldnt want the dirty fecker at St.James' Park .

Nunez will be a good signing I think .

'Huzzah. Now for Alonso, Colloccini, Mista and another RM! '

would SWP do as a RM .

because then yeed have some mighty team .

Dub13 wrote:

Yesterdays news

Keep up dub ;)

Barton is defensive midfielder but can play on right if needs be.....dirty player alright.....watched a few games last season and I wud say in 80% of them he was lucky to be on the pitch at the end.....4-5 reckless challenges one after another.......started a big fight with the Doncaster team in pre-season and Keegen is pissed......scouts are tellin Rafa to buy him

SWP signed a new 4 year contract on Sat so no chance of gettin him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

p.pete wrote:
    Ehm, Rafa said he wasn't so interested in SWP due to knowing little about him - what knowledge does he have of Joey Barton if most of us can't figure out where he plays :confused:
    Houllier had lined up the transfer before he bit the bullet. At the time the speculation was that he wanted to keep Gerrard sweet - Barton and Gerrard are good mates (more so than Gerrard would be with Owen or Murphy).

The breaking up of the English clique may have ruffled a few feathers and maybe now Benitez is going to appease Gerrard by completing the signing. If the transfer happens I wouldn't expect Barton to feature too much in the first team. Alonso and Gerrard will be the first choice central midfielders, followed by Biscan and Didi (if he stays) so Barton would be well down the order of selection - fourth at best.

I think Rafa or the club are pushing for one or two English players to sign just to keep the fans happy...even if they will not play much.

hasn't it all gone a bit quiet about colloccini?

Other LFC News,

Around 50,000 replica shirts with the name Owen and the number 10 printed on them where already in stock for the new season!!
    It's cost them a reported £1.5 million squids

Dub13 wrote:
    Other LFC News,

Around 50,000 replica shirts with the name Owen and the number 10 printed on them where already in stock for the new season!!
    It's cost them a reported £1.5 million squids

6.5m plus player transfer then :)

Will they be on ebay soon? I'd grab one if it was going cheap, could spray paint over the back of it with a bit of red :D

or put a G in front of his name.

In fairness that works out at £30 a jersey and the club won't have paid that for the jerseys - maybe that's the potential money they make on selling Owen jerseys.

With the new players coming in there will be some stimulation for new jersey sales also they should be able to offload the unwanted jerseys for a price.

eyerer wrote:
    hasn't it all gone a bit quiet about colloccini?
    He'll most likely end up at Real Madrid - Benitez cooled his interest after Madrid got in contact with Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Off topic, but why are Milan letting a player of Colloccini's potential ability to leave? It's not like they're scraping the barrel for funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

There will definitely be a striker coming in before the end of August. Mista is the likeliest arrival, although we are also supposedly looking at Portillo of Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

The signing of Xabi Alonso should also be tied up by the end of this week if not sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

When we sign Xabi Alonso for the reported £10.5m, I can't see there being much more to spend on new players. Hope I'm wrong. We definitely need a quality right-sided player and a proven striker. The squad is wafer thin at the moment. Word is that Finnan and Hamann are on their way. Diouf is off to Bolton for a year. So he's guaranteed to score a winner at Anfield this season. I have no doubts Cisse will come good, Baros is too erratic and FSP is still learning the ropes. I don't want to see Mista signing, he had a good season last year but he's not world-class. Portillo has done nothing since bursting into the first team a couple of seasons ago. I'd much prefer to see someone like Adriano, Saviola or Ibrahimovic signing.

Is there any quality strikers available now? Must be a pain in the arse looking for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

When we sign Xabi Alonso for the reported £10.5m, I can't see there being much more to spend on new players.
    Owen was on around £60k, Heskey was on around £40k, Murphy was on what? £25k? Thats £6.25m per year off the wage bill. Bolton will probably pay a percentage of Diouf's speculated £30k package. Even if all those players were kept I'm sure Benitez still would have been allowed buy Josemi and probably Alonso so with those players gone he should have more to spend. i never even mentioned the £17m in on transfer fee's. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

remember Houlier was given £30 million to spend £14 million went on Cisse , and it looks like £10.7 million will be used on Alonso , and £2.5 million Josemi , leaving £2.8 million plus money from all the players than have excited Owen £8 million , Danny Murphy £2.5 million , well they are the only ones I can .

Which leaves....................£13.3 million .

I have done that very quick so don't strike down on me for quoting wrong prices/leaving someone important out/miscalculating .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Ears, Heskey - £6.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Well here's hoping Rafa has got enough cash to bring in a quality right-winger and striker. It needs to happen now. Every transfer Liverpool ever get involved in seems to drag on and on and on. We should have signed Mexes too. Central defence is no quicker than last season. What am I bloody complaining about, the two clowns I wanted to see the back of are long gone! GH + EH that is.

/me cheers up slightly :p

thegills wrote:
    There will definitely be a striker coming in before the end of August. Mista is the likeliest arrival, although we are also supposedly looking at Portillo of Madrid
    Don't expect Mista before the January transfer window. Portillo is on loan to Fiorentina for the season and Real don't want to sell him.

We should have signed Mexes too. Central defence is no quicker than last season.
    Mexes and Boumsong are both money mad - they both wanted crazy wage deals which is why Boumsong ended up at Rangers, Mexes also wanted guaranteed first team football. Houllier told Boumsong that if he was interested in money then take the offer from Scotland, but if he wanted to play football then he should move to England. Mexes, he wasn't too pushed about because of his attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Who have Valencia got in reserve if they offload Mista? He was only really No. 2 to John Carew before they sold him, and before that, they flogged Claudio Lopez to Lazio. I know they only play 4-5-1, but surely they can't carry on the tradition of selling all their best strikers, can they?

I'd say Diego Tristan at Deportivo would be a more realistic transfer target. His style of play could be well suited to the Premiership, and I can't imagine he's that happy warming the bench while Walter Pandiani takes all the glory...

Thats purely my mind running away with me there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

is garcia deffo not comin to anfield? think i heard that today. pity, i thought he could have solved a few of our problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

This all seems like a little of a come down for Liverpool surely? At first the rumour was £8 million + Morientes and Figo, then it became £8 million + Morientes and finally £8 million + Nunez. Since when is a Real cast off good enough for Liverpool?

Diouf is off to Bolton for a year. So he's guaranteed to score a winner at Anfield this season.

at least he'll get one in his career then :p
    benetiz wanted nunez anyway and owen was on one year so lfc weren't in a strong bargaining position
    as has already been said, if nunez was no good real wouldn't have wanted the option to buy him back
    let's be honest 10mil and morientes for owen would've been an absolute steal

i always liked tristan when i watched him play in the champions league, was always good for a goal, i remember that one he scored against arsenal, made seaman look like a right plonker

"thegills" what makes you so sure a striker is coming?
    got a source you'd like to share?

Saviola is available for a season long loan.

Monaco want him but they dont want to pay his wages because they are huge! they got Morientes last season with Real payin most of the wages! cant see Saviola moving to the Pool!

• Advertisement

Can you tell me where, in the above sentence, i said saviola was going to anfield?

Can you tell me where, in the above sentence, i said saviola was going to anfield?

Then why are you mentioning this on a thread to do with transfers into Liverpool? :rolleyes:

Where else would you like me to mention it?

It doesnt belong in the 'transfer rumours' thread as there are no rumours as to where he might go. Its mention is merely to bring his availability to light without specifying where i think he may end up.

It doesnt warrant a thread of its own as all that would do is invite all to idly speculate as to where he may go.

I dont know what your problem is Neil, but you were trying to find holes in my posts yesterday too and my patience is running thin.

Ok where am I tryin to find holes??? you mentioned Saviola and I posted a decent reply mentioning that he wouldnt be going to pool and that only Monaco where interested!! then you asked me where you said about Liverpool! seeing as this is a Liverpool thread I took it up you where refering to him going to pool and as you mention in another thread maybe 'pool will loan in a striker!!

Cant see a prob in that? :D

Liverpool will officially unveil new signing Antonio Nunez at a Melwood press conference this morning.
    Nunez, who speaks fluent English, will be given a first opportunity to talk about his move to Anfield and about his hopes for his new career on Merseyside.

The former Real Madrid midfielder signed in at Anfield on a three year contract earlier this week as part of the deal which took Michael Owen in the opposite direction.

He could even make his debut in a red shirt for the reserves at Middlesbrough tonight, although the team has not yet been confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Looks like it's gonna be a while before we know if he's any use :rolleyes: :

From Liverpoolfc.tv

NUNEZ ROCKED BY INJURY BLOW

Liverpool have been dealt a huge blow today with news that new midfielder Antonio Nunez has picked up a knee injury in training.
    On the day he was officially unveiled as a Liverpool player, the former Real Madrid star was forced to leave training early after twisting his left knee. No other player was involved in the incident.

As a precaution, Nunez was accompanied by the club doctor for an x-ray which, thankfully, showed he had not sustained a fracture.

The club suspect Nunez may have suffered ligament damage but they won't know for sure until he undergoes a scan tomorrow afternoon. Until the results of the scan are known, it is impossible to predict how long the player will be out of action.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton said: "We are all desperately disappointed for Antonio because this injury has come at such a bad time for him. We will know more about his injury on Thursday afternoon."

Nunez is definitely ruled out of tonight's reserve match at Middlesbrough and will almost certainly miss the weekend clash with Manchester City at Anfield.

Well, that's a bit disappointing. We'll have to wait a bit longer to see him...

A reprieve for Finnan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Jesus, what're the odds of that happening.

This is unbelivebeable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

thats a bit funny to be honest, go out and bring in a new player only for him to get injured!! Have we another "sicknote" anderton here!! ;)

Advertisement