Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check on Budget PC Spec

Options
  • 17-08-2004 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm trying to build a budget pc along the lines of the specs contained in the sticky at the top of the forum. Unfortunately some of the components recommended were unavailable. The following is my attempt at getting as close as possible to the recomended spec.

17656 MB ATX SA Abit NF7-S2G nForce2 Ultra 400 77.00 EUR
    (NF7-S no longer available on jes)
    12803 CPU AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Tray 76.99 EUR
    14991 128MB Sapphire 9600 XT Fireblade FullRTL 145.99 EUR
    15024 DDR PC400 256MB Mushkin CL2 Blue 119.98 EUR
    15193 HDD SATA 160GB Samsung SP1614C 8MB 93.80 EUR
    14788 Kühler SA Arctic Copper Silent 2L LED 10.89 EUR
    Sub-Total: 524.65 EUR
    Sonata/MinTower 380W 4X5.25" 2X3.5" ATX Black 131.29 EUR
    (seems expensive)

Does anyone have any comments on whether it should work or what alterations I would need to make.

Thanks for your help

Tibrok

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

what about a cpu???

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tibrok

Well spotted. Have edited it to include a AMD Athlon 2500+

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Akula

Whats the machine for?

You could just use the onboard graphics unless you are planning on playing games on it.

Also there is no need for such an expensive case.

Also no optical drives? Also remember to check what cables you need. IE. SATA cables or ide cables etc... check what comes with the board/drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I'm trying to build a budget pc along the lines of the specs contained in the sticky at the top of the forum. Unfortunately some of the components recommended were unavailable. The following is my attempt at getting as close as possible to the recomended spec.

Yea ive been meaning to update it im , just havent had much spare time over the last month.

Those computer specs are mainly best for gaming. Like Akula said if your not a big gamer then you can save a good bit of money. The Case is a little expensive but its top quality, ultra quiet, has a big 120mm case fan, and excellent power supply.

The NF7-S2 isint a good overclocking board and doesent have as good sound as the NF7-S V2.0. The Abit AN7 would be a good option.

The AN7 should come with SATA adapters but for a couple of euros its prob best to get another. It the Power adapter and SATA cable.........

Again i mean to update that whole thread as theres new tech just out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I think you should spend a little extra and get a NF7-Sv2.0 from somewhere else.

This is the difference between NF7-S2 and Sv2.0
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=382844

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

There' nothing budget about the memory you've chosen. Perhaps you'd like to save yourself around 40 quid and go with PC400 512MB TwinMOS CL2,5

There' nothing budget about the memory you've chosen. Perhaps you'd like to save yourself around 40 quid and go with PC400 512MB TwinMOS CL2,5

Yea i know, but its aimed as a budget gaming system and for that reason ive picked Ram with better timings (which helps performance). Also ive had compatability with Abit motherboards and TwinMos memory, am trying to limit the ammount of problems a new user might have to deal with .

Im thinkin about re-doing the Specs of the machines (made an attempt in the later posts) so people can pick and choose more. Mabye a budget system thats not for gaming ......... im not sure but am totally open to suggestions

Thanks for all your suggestions. There's definitely more angles to selecting components for your own pc than I originally tought. The main requirement is for a reasonably good office type machine more so than a gaming machine.

The reason I am embarking on building my first PC is because I am hoping to salvage some parts remaining from a lightning damaged Dell Dimension 4500 (See this post ) The cost of replacing the motherboard was €140+, without any gaurantee of success, so I reckoned I'd be better off going this route.

As I said the computer will be primarily used for office applications/internet browsing. The ability for it to handle the occassional game or CAD application would be nice.

The revised tentative plan (and I'm sure not the last) is

- To buy the following from Jes
    15193 HDD SATA 160GB Samsung SP1614C 8MB 93.80 EUR
    13209 CPU AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Box 83.99 EUR (I presume this includes fan and heatsink)
    15024 DDR PC400 256MB Mushkin CL2 Blue 119.98 EUR
    15095 MB ATX SA Abit AN7, nForce2 Ultra 400 89.99 EUR
    14717 Adapterkabel Y Strom 1x 5,25 auf 4x 5,25 2.99 EUR
    Sub-Total: 390.75 EUR

- To use the 64MB Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 420 card from the old Dell for the time being and maybe buy a better replacement when I'm on holidays in US.

-To use the floppy, CDR and DVD drive from the old Dell.

- To source a suitable case (preferably black) and PSU

Comments on the above in reply to other posts:
    - I came accross a nice article on www.anandtech.com that says the AN7 is much the same as the NF7-Sv2.0.

- I'm not confined to a strict budget so I don't mind spending a bit extra on the memory if it means less problems in the future.

Final Queries:

- What would be a more reasonably priced case (black) and PSU combination suitable for this system? Will I need to order any additional fans for the case?

- What things would you change if you were putting together that system?

- Does anyone know what other little bits and pieces I need to order?
    Eg. Is gel needed for heatsink?
    Is SATA cable required? If so what type?
    Any other cables required that I will not be able to salvage from old Dell?

Thanks for your comments.

PS: Col_Loki, your PC specs were a great starting point and an incentive to try building myself as opposed to buying a completely new system. Your suggestion on a non gaming spec would be handy.

Pop in one of these little adapters for the SATA hard drive (more future proof than older IDE) ........ http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=13193

That system spec looks pretty nice, and i cant see any problems at all.

With reguards the case, i was also going for a very quiet machine with those specs.
    Another option would be to get this power supply ....... http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=14598 and then get whatever case you fancy . Some cases come with dreadfull power supplys and its just trouble, the one above wont have any problems powering your system (and i think it comes with SATA connectors).
    Eg. Is gel needed for heatsink?

Comes with the heatsink (either a pad or compound).
    PS: Col_Loki, your PC specs were a great starting point and an incentive to try building myself as opposed to buying a completely new system. Your suggestion on a non gaming spec would be handy.

Good to hear its a help :) . I will be working on a changing to try to make normal budget machines and also include gaming ones....... or something like that, just need some time to do it.

Your specs look fine to me!!

[edit] Depending on what case you pick you might need a case fan. The popular ones are 80mm and generally thats what cases have. Slightly better cases already come with fans, it will prob mention it in the spec. Generally your PC will be running pretty cool so its not an important factor TBH. (some cheaper fans are noisey, try to get a quiet one if you are getting one ;))

Thanks for giving a look over the specs. I hope to order the gear sometime today and will keep you posted on how it works out.

Tibrok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

thats a feckin good budget computer!

Advertisement