Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What accessories are legal??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

jaycee wrote:
    Ahh well in that case even a bayonet is useless,:(
    The only thing that works on them is the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Book of Armaments chapter three verses one to six.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

woody wrote:
    I have a top folding stock on my remington 870 pump action shotgun for no more reason than storage in the booth of the car and also an extended magazine to 10 rounds but when hunting restricted to 3 rounds
    just got an 870 and was wondering where i would get such accessories.

thelurcher wrote:
    Heard a few of the Americans on about the NVS7 (?) goggles - they then use their normal scope - and think it works much better - can't picture me having enough eye relief on my setup no matter how far forward I'd push the scope :confused:
    I'd imagine you'd have to have your head at a right awkward angle to line up the eyepieces.

They swear by it though - it would get around our vague laws as well.

Posted and debated this with Sparks awhile back this year.
    What you need is an ACOG or Bushnell Holosight that is NV compatiable [appx $3/400 USD] and your goggles [$300 to $1000].If you use russkie NV goggles that will be cheaper with a increased health risk from X rays.
    It will beat the nite vision weapons mounted ban,as the NV component is NOT connected to the sighting mechanism.Most importantly.Thats why the NV scope mounted on the rifle as advertised in the UK is a nono here.All in all a stupid law,as there are plenty of ligit uses for a NV weapons mount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Babble wrote:
    TopFoldStock_ongun.jpg
    Uh-huh. And people wonder why some Gardai get nervous over firearms licence applications. I mean, come on guys...

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote:
    Its probably one of the best guns I own and its an air rifle. I can shoot the heads off a decent sized daisy from bout 20 yards with it. Went shooting crows and the likes with it a few times
    I don't hunt myself, so I missed this one; but I'm told that shooting birds or animals with an airgun is illegal under the wildlife acts? Can anyone verify this? You might want to not do that anymore vegeta!

That advanced target top folder ,give it a miss.It is all plastic,the grip is like an AR15 and cuts into your web of your hand when you fire 3in loads or slugs somthing fierce.The "cool factor" is impressive on it tho:D .Unless you really need compact storage,I would give the folders a miss.And in a way I agree with Sparks.
    BUT there is nowt to stop you having these accessories,just use common sense and dont go waving it under the general sheeples faces or Gardai.
    I mean the way some of these target airguns look, do they go Zap or Bang?Look like somthing the Terminator would use.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I mean the way , look like somthing the Terminator would use.:D
    Better not go looking to licence a 'phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range' then, I suppose! :D
    t2gun8ub.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey you found my pistol thanks man, I'll be back :v: for that. Oh god worst joke ever I know but T2 would definitely be in my top 3 films

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭airy-fairy

SPARKS asked: "I don't hunt myself, so I missed this one; but I'm told that shooting birds or animals with an airgun is illegal under the wildlife acts? Can anyone verify this?"

I contacted the NARGC on this recently.

This is what their guidance is.

"The Wildlife Act prohibits the hunting of all birds with a rifle and under the definitions that includes an air rifle. The Act does not prohibit the hunting of rabbits or vermin such as rats, mink etc with an air rifle."

So fortunately for magpies and wood pigeon and the ferals in the cow shed they just get an ounce of 6s.

Some rabbits and rats meet their maker with 16gr's of lead at about 900fps.

Never saw a mink when I had the air gun out. I am not sure what etc is but probably not anything I could take with the airgun anyway - foxes, feral goats, feral cats?

BTW what is the legality of shootig a cat. I have heard that around release pens they may be shot on sight in some countries. Probably not in Ireland though...

• Advertisement

"The Wildlife Act prohibits the hunting of all birds with a rifle and under the definitions that includes an air rifle. The Act does not prohibit the hunting of rabbits or vermin such as rats, mink etc with an air rifle."

So fortunately for magpies and wood pigeon and the ferals in the cow shed they just get an ounce of 6s.

I think they mean GAME birds.

Never saw a mink when I had the air gun out. I am not sure what etc is but probably not anything I could take with the airgun anyway - foxes, feral goats, feral cats?

BTW what is the legality of shootig a cat. I have heard that around release pens they may be shot on sight in some countries. Probably not in Ireland though...

Shooting any of the above with an air rifle is a no no.Including Mink.They are tough critters.
    Cats,well if they are feral and not within distance of a building,consider them fair game.Think you will spot the difference between a feral cat and a domestic house cat.As per usual not somthing to be done in the area of the GP.
    The continent you can shoot cats or dogs,when they are 300 meters from the last habitated building.

Rovi wrote:
    Better not go looking to licence a 'phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range' then, I suppose! :D
    t2gun8ub.jpg

Hmmm so the thing will look like a SA80 that was truncated and had more bits glued on??:D Wonder why it never showed up in T2?As it was T1 that it was first mentioned.
    Anyway I'll go with the future Govenor of Kommiefornia's weapons
    Ze 9mm Uzi,ze longslide 45 vit laser sight.[in a different life long ago,I actually got to shoot the "real"version of that prop:D ],ze SPAS 12,ze Armalite,ze phased plasma rifle in ze 40 watt range.

Ironically three of those weapons that made Ahrnald famous are banned in the state that he termintes...er...governates.And he has banned 50 cals as well,not to mind making any effort to roll back the assault weapons ban over there.Glad I left.:mad: :D

sorry to be off topic but I just love the name "airy-fairy":D

Were heading for an election over here in January and the Canadian conservatives have made a promise to rewrite the Firearms laws.
    So theres the vague outside possible maybe chance that we'll see changes over here. But I'm not counting on anything.
    The optimists think they'll see concealed carry laws come in :rolleyes:
    Yeah like thats every going to happen!

Hmmm so the thing will look like a SA80 that was truncated and had more bits glued on??:D Wonder why it never showed up in T2?As it was T1 that it was first mentioned.
    Anyway I'll go with the future Govenor of Kommiefornia's weapons
    Ze 9mm Uzi,ze longslide 45 vit laser sight.[in a different life long ago,I actually got to shoot the "real"version of that prop:D ],ze SPAS 12,ze Armalite,ze phased plasma rifle in ze 40 watt range.

Ironically three of those weapons that made Ahrnald famous are banned in the state that he termintes...er...governates.And he has banned 50 cals as well,not to mind making any effort to roll back the assault weapons ban over there.Glad I left.:mad: :D

have you every seen the show Monster Garage?
    There is a clip where the host is going to shoot a failed project with his FIFTY. He mentions how he picked it up before the ban and how much he likes guns etc its interesting.

You can see it online I'll have to look it up

Sparks wrote:
    I don't hunt myself, so I missed this one; but I'm told that shooting birds or animals with an airgun is illegal under the wildlife acts? Can anyone verify this? You might want to not do that anymore vegeta!

I think shooting any game birds with it is definitely out, but vermin are a different matter. As far as I know its legal but I'm no expert. Also this is a hunting air rifle its muzzle energy is 12ftlbs. I know for a fact they are used for this type of shooting in england but cant say for definite if they are legal for vermin here. I'd better look into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

Legally, the look makes no difference, just the barrell and receiver. In practise, you encounter the "Idontlikethelookofthat" rule though, because the Garda usually wonders why someone would want a firearm that so closely resembles a military weapon (it sets off the Walter Mitty alarm in a lot of people if we're honest about it, really). But there's no problem with changing stocks on a licenced firearm.

Obviously, things like night vision scopes and laser sights are different though, as they're covered under legislation.

scout wrote:

The gun in that second link is class, want want want

Vegeta wrote:
    The gun in that second link is class, want want want
    Looks good but dosent feed so good yet :mad:
    r22ted.jpg

I'm expecting a new ejector, bolt and mag catch to cure my woes in the new year
    :)

Babble wrote:
    Ah yes, the old form-versus-function tradeoff :D
    Bleh. Forget the gismos! Train more! :D:D:D
    (Said he a week after buying a new buttplate for his air rifle :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

i'd agree its a rhineland arms r22 .22lr semi auto £395
    Reviewed in shooting sports this month :D:D:D

Babble wrote:
    r22ted.jpg

Holy crap thats class, that certainly has the scary factor

Advertisement