Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bike test

Options
  • 17-08-2004 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

hi

got my bike test(A) coming up in about weeks
    had a look arounf and couldnt see much about the test itself.

ive been driving a 125 for about 2 years now with no problems(touches wood)
    but it seems ive gotta rent a 250 off ism to do the test
    so far so good

just wondering if anyones got any tips or knows what kinda things they ask you to do.
    im fairly confident on the 125 but ive booked 2hrs practice and pretest on the 250 to be on the safe side :)

so if any of you whove done the test and no what to expect or have good links to pretest sites, it would be much appreciated

cheers

btw im doing the test in raheny if that makes any difference

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Well for a start the test is a joke! You'll be fine, the Ism bikes are pretty naff, flick em into neutral before you stop, or it will never get there! Other than that can see much to be concered about, if you can ride a bike for 15 mins, you get that pink bit of paper!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

If you've been riding (safely) for 2 years, the test shouldn't be a problem. If you've not had any lessons, one 2 or 3 hour one on your own bike might be enough to point out your bad habits and allow you to correct them. I do think the hire and pre-test are a good idea.

When picking up the ISM bike, make sure the tax disk is on the bike. You won't be allowed to do the test without it. I put my disk on my bike on the day of the test but carry it in my pocket normally.

The test I did consisted of 2 laps to the left, 2 to the right in an industrial estate in Tallaght. Also bike specific parts: ride at walking pace and a U turn on a narrow road. These are likely to be the things to cause you problems especially on a different bike.

Oh and know your road signs! I got 2 wrong, one for pedestrianised streets (I'd never noticed them even on Grafton St!) but then I don't usually go looking for road signs when I walking and haven't driven on Grafton St for 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

sounds good :D
    just want to make sure,
    the ism bike should be taxed by the ism?
    i dont have to put my (out of date) tax disc on it , do i? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The test is easy, i passed it (A1 on my own bike) first time. If you're any way good on the bike you'll pass. A tip I was given before my test was to never put your right foot down - always keep it ready to use the brake. Make sure your position in the road lane is as it should be too. And maybe you shouldn't filter ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I strongly recommend you do a pre-test with one of the IRTA instructors, or someone else like David Lyons (http://www.motorbiketraining.net/). There is a certain way you can ride that will practically guarantee you a pass, and the instructors can show you this on the day of the test. I had been riding for years before my test, but still got a 2 hour pre-test instruction, and without it I probably would have done loads of stupid little things that I wouldn't have even realised were mistakes.

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice :)
    ive already paid a few yoyos out for a lesson and bike hire so im kinda skint lol
    i wanted to get a bit of a pretest on the day but all the instructors were booked so i just got the bike
    from the sounds of things i should be fine tho , woot
    will report back after my lesson and let you know if the instructor thinks i might be in trouble

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Instructor will probably tell you this anyway, but LIFESAVER LIFESAVER LIFESAVER.. exaggerate it to the point of thinking you look like a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

spockety wrote:
    Instructor will probably tell you this anyway, but LIFESAVER LIFESAVER LIFESAVER.. exaggerate it to the point of thinking you look like a moron.
    Funnily enough, if you start doing it now, it'll become second nature in no time, and you'll wonder how you were never killed before.

ehmm did i miss something 0_o
    whats this lifesaver that will have me wondering how i was never killed before?

ive probably misread your post or something ........

A lifesaver is an over the shoulder check. It's essentially the last check in your blind spots you do before you change position. It's called a lifesave for obvious reasons.
    It's part of "the system" that all the trainers will talk about. The system is detailed in the Roadcraft book mentioned in the FAQ which is what police riders in the UK use. It is taught to Garda riders here too.
    If you want to go on and become an IRTA trainer, you will have to do an advanced test which requires knowing Roadcraft and displaying good knowledge and practice of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Chalk wrote:
    ehmm did i miss something 0_o
    whats this lifesaver that will have me wondering how i was never killed before?

ive probably misread your post or something ........

the lifesaver is the quick check you do before moving off changing lanes etc

its a quick glance over your shoulder to check the blindspots that arent covered by your mirrors

beforre my test i took some lessons with irish rider training...the instructor told me you can fit a puegot 306 in the "blindspot" and she was speaking from experience!

the test itself is shockingly easy...its actually worrying

Oh BTW, good luck in the test. Let us know how you get on with the pre-test and test. I think it'll be of use to others.
    TTFN (esp. for Pataman see here ) :rolleyes:

Advertisement