Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brunettes V Blondes

• 17-08-2004 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Did anyone see the Life supplement in the Indo today -

The debate continues -

But what do people esp guys make of it all???

Anyone with me on the whole idea that because shes a natural blonde - its only natural it suited her better and she looked well.

I for one, was a blonde and I know when I went back dark (darker than my natural but nearer than the blonde) I got way more attention.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

I prefare darker haired girls myself blondes just dont do it for me never really did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

I think this is more suited to After Hours...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DOES ANYONE READ THE CHARTER IN THIS PLACE!?!?!!??

*Beruthiel explodes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

/me sweeps up

Perhaps even Fashion/Apperance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I tend to go for darker haired girls myself. That's not to say that I don't fancy any blondes, I just seem to end up with brunettes.

I don't like bleach blonde though. Most 'blondes' I see, in my opinion, would look better with their natural hair colour, so I don't know why they do it.. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Kevin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

brunettes, blondes, redheads - all equally illusive :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

"it's all about personality"

but personalities look nicer on brunettes, personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Strange, most of us seem to be brunette fanciers. I've gone out with Blondes before but if you look at my all time top 5, only one's a blonde.

blondes tend to be nice eye-candy but guys seemto go for brunettes when it comes to commitment time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Definetly Brunettes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

I'm naturally dark haired but have some golden highlights - in general most men preferred me dark haired and the ladies say I'm nicer with the highlights! Personally I think either men or women would look at blonde hair quicker because its a brighter colour and catches your eye but that's all it is really. Its very shallow if a guy only likes you for you're hair colour or breast size or ass. But then again I can be just as shallow and we are all guilty of it - its human nature to admire someone attractive but it doesn't last long. I hung around with a blonde when I was a teenager who genuinely tought she was nicer than me just because she had blonde hair - funny really when I got a million time more dates than her. And blondes don't have more fun.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Girls like blondes, men like brunettes...

Girls should really take their target audience into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Beruthiel wrote:
    DOES ANYONE READ THE CHARTER IN THIS PLACE!?!?!!??

*Beruthiel explodes*
    hhehe im going to give u positave karma point for that one .

and redhedz tbh
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Beruthiel again.

dam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I personally prefare blondes in the majority of cases but would never discount someone based on their hair colour alone, that would be insane..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

prefer red heads.. no hair just read heads... ba boom :D

Does hair colour really matter that much???
    Doesnt to me.. :rolleyes:

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I go for brunettes , they do funny things to my thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i don't see really how hair colour has anything to do with a girl's personality or whatever..i suppose it's just the way a kind of image of ''blondes'' has been set up.and it is only in the west really where this fascination occurs, everywhere else they would probably laugh about it......blonde hair is caused by a recessive gene so in a in a few hundred years or so it'll be non-existent (well of course other than the peroxide ones)..i guess it's just that darker hair is a lot more common than blonde hair so the attraction is in the fact that blonde hair is uncommon ie something different {well it used to be anyway}....just theway that anything different can be attractive..other than that the whole myth about blondes v brunettes is a load of soppy girly crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Idbatterim wrote:
    Definetly Brunettes!

I agree .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Brunettes all the way-Im very rarely attracted to blondes I go off women if they dye their hair blonde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Blonds have less noticable body hair, but i hate a women who shaves under her arms. Brunettes tend to be less suceptable to being image concouse, dyed blonds should be avoided, its an image thing. Real blondes are ok. But ya've got to love red haired women. "Growl"!

• Advertisement

Havelock wrote:
    i hate a women who shaves under her arms.
    :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I think a blonde grabs the attention initially. Maybe it is just the brightness of it that initially does so. Another factor in relation to hair is how it looks. If it is straight, flat, plain, drab looking it is not going to look well. You need a bit of life or bounce or lightness in it. That would go for all colours. The girl in the article has nice blonde hair. It is straight with a bit of life in it. The red and brunette don't suit her, because of her other looks. The brunette wig doesn't suit her and is a bit drab looking anyway. The red doesn't look good either. Natural hair colour compliments the rest of the looks. Of course it the looks aren't good that'll take away from it a bit. You'll often see a girl with lovely looking hair from behind; then she turns around and you see her face! So a lot more has to be taken into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Well I tend to believe that the people this **** actually matters to are idiots.

It comes down to the individual themselves as to whether you like the person. But before we get to know someone we see what they look like and it does make an impression. You can't judge a book by its cover, but it can still give you a few pointers and maybe encourage you to open it up and see what it is about. Of course a book with a plain cover might be the best read, but you might be less inclined to pick it up at first, although you will at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Redheads
    Natural Blondes
    Brunettes
    Blonde Highlights
    Bleached Blondes

If I was asked my opinion, I would put my preferences like that, and I was so I did.

Then of course there are bald women! :)

Having said that, Sineád O'Connor has a lovely face, with or without hair.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Puck wrote:
    Well I tend to believe that the people this **** actually matters to are idiots.
    At one point, I’d have to agreed. Now I just know many people like to believe in stereotypes and generalisations.

We all fall into that trap to a certain extent, but when you see the people that people end up going out with and staying with, they are usually not what each individual would have perceived as being their ideal match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

A lot of people have preferances.. i tend to like dark haired men more.. not to say i couldn't fancy a man with blonde or red hair.. all the same really..

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Puck wrote:
    What's wrong with preferences? Nobodys above 'em, and the people who say they are are liars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Well it doesnt matter all that much but I must say I love some redheads*...

*Thats nothin to do with my own hair btw...

Puck wrote:
    Well, if we werre only talking about natural hair colours, I'd tend to agree with you. However, that's not the world we're living in. Personally I find girls dying their hair particularly unattractive, lacking in class and usually being done as a result of some lack of self respect. In this regard, I think it's a perfectly valid thing to judge someone on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If she's hot I'll do her. I mainly go for brunettes because I find them prettier on the whole, that doesn't go to say that I wouldnt screw a good looking blonde or redhead or multicoloured (mwah honey).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

kold wrote:
    that doesn't go to say that I wouldnt screw a good looking blonde or redhead or multicoloured (mwah honey).

You gotta appreciate the romance in that statement ;)

Kevin.

Sleepy you think that girls who die their hair have a lack of self respect - that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read - I have tonnes of self respect and dye my hair - if you said it to my face I'd either laugh at you or slap you or both! So if you were in the supermarket and saw a stunning girl buying a dye for her hair you would there and then believe she has a lack of self respect!!! The mind boggles :confused:

• Advertisement

climaxer wrote:
    Sleepy you think that girls who die their hair have a lack of self respect - that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read - I have tonnes of self respect and dye my hair - if you said it to my face I'd either laugh at you or slap you or both! So if you were in the supermarket and saw a stunning girl buying a dye for her hair you would there and then believe she has a lack of self respect!!! The mind boggles :confused:
    Honestly, yes, I think it looks cheap so yes, I think it's a lack of self-respect. And if you think slapping someone for their opinion is a valid response, you obviously fall into line with my views.

Sleepy so you've never went out with a girl who dyes her hair? Please explain why you think its a lack of self-respect to dye you're hair? It is such a generalisation to believe that.

Dyed hair never, ever looks good. Your natural haircolour suits your skintone better. 99% of dye jobs are botched, sure celebrities can get away with it because they spend literally thousands on their hair. They can get genuine multi-tonal dye jobs done etc.

If we're talking about bottle blonde: it looks crap and it's tacky as a page 3 girl from Essex. If that's the image you aspire to, you've a serious lack of self-respect.

Then we move into the "different" hair dyes, the pinks, purples, crimson reds etc. If it was different it wouldn't be sold in mass produced tubes. It's just a silly little gesture that screams "look at me, I'm different!". It's a serious lack of self-esteem

And a for girlfriends dying their hair? Yeah, one of my ex-girlfriends dyed her hair, it looked crap and I told her as much. (and no, that's not why we broke up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Does dying ones hair purple count? I think there is something off about dyng brown hair blonde, but what about a colour that cannot be naturally attained?
    Anyway, I prefer brunnettes too. The blondes you see in Europe are great. Not too many of them over here though.

Sleepy I get a lot of what you're saying and agree with you on some of it - honestly. I don't like the tacky page 3 girl look either or the mad colours like purple or vibrant red BUT that's my style. I have naturally almost jet black hair and people have always admired it and believe it or not quite a few guys have asked me if it was my natural colour. Only reason I dyed my hair with some golden highlights was because I was a bit bored with the dark colour and just wanted something different and find it fun experimenting with new looks and stuff. Now I'm kind've sick of the golden and might go back to my roots. I have very high self esteem btw (most of the time anyway) - a bit too much at times too! I just think you are being quite harsh but you entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

On a lighter note if you're wondering what colour someone's pubes are they are the same colour as their eyebrows - so if you see a platinum blonde and wonder if its natural or from a bottle just look at the eyebrows :D

• Advertisement

I'm not harsh, I'm just argumentative! :p

Honestly I'm not that bothered by a lot of the things I rant about on here. I just enjoy a good argument. The Bimbo culture does get on my nerves quite a bit alright though in fairness, there's as many men involved in that as women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DrColossus

Brunette tbh, blondes never did it for me, Or girls that wear too much make up (yeeuuk) Pref no make up tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I'm a natural blonde - it has got a bit darker with time but I would still be considered blonde...my hair colour suits my complexion in general as well as my personality. In terms of the guys that I go for they have either been red heads or brunettes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Brunettes all the way, nearly every blonde I've been with was as smart as a bag of chips.

Was wondering when the dumb blonde jokes would come in...we use it at times, so how stupid are we...personally, I don't like seeing "bottle blondes" as it looks fake if the roots are not done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

... or even worse when the peroxide starts to wear off :(

I've only gone out with one blond (bottle) and she was brunette when we started going out.

I preferred Uma Thurman in "Pulp fiction" (brunette) to Uma in "Kill Bill" (blond) this is nothing to do with her age. I guess I'm a brunette man. Just wonder if there are guys that are normally into blondes still prefer her in "Pulp Fiction"? She was drop-dead in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

climaxer wrote:
    On a lighter note if you're wondering what colour someone's pubes are they are the same colour as their eyebrows - so if you see a platinum blonde and wonder if its natural or from a bottle just look at the eyebrows :D

Thats one thing I don't understand bout girls who dye their hair, why dontchas dye your eyebrows too, blonde girl black eyebrows .0001 milliseconds till bottle blonde pops into the head, it looks really silly too, look way more natural if you did the eyebrows too, so why don't you huh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

peroxide BURNS!!!!!!!
    you dont wanna risk getting that **** anywhere near your eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

tbh there's more to fancying someone then just the colour of their hair :rolleyes:

Of course there is more to fancying someone than the colour of their hair but the type of person that we fancy is dependent on physical attributes to an extent, at least initially - sure, you can grow to fancy someone over time BUT...I still would find it hard to fancy a blonde...

• Advertisement
Advertisement