Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i cant get two comps hocked up it just wont work

Options
  • 17-08-2004 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

i've spent hours to no avail i can get a local connection up but thats it i've browsed throuh countless helps and threads and i still cant get it to work
    they are both xp comps ive got a crossover cable i've pluged it in the right place and i've just ran out of ideas. messed around with the settings all i want to do is share some files ive set up the workgroup countless times i just getting a bit sick of it now.. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

On computer one
    goto control panel, network connections, right click Local area connection then properties.
    Then double-click internet protocol (TCP/IP), tick "use the following address"
    type 192.168.10.1 in IP address, subnet mask should go in automatically.
    okay, okay, okay etc to desktop.

Same on 2nd machine except enter 192.168.10.2 in the IP address field.

Once they're both done, on computer 1 goto Start, run, type
    cmd
    and hit okay.
    Then type
    ping 192.168.10.2
    hit return and see if comp two reponds.

Be sure to stop/disable 'Internet connetion firewall' from control panel, administrative tools, services first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

i just got request timed out a couple of times on both comps but on comp 2 i got destination host unreachable tryed again a got request timed out again :(
    thx for helpin me

Internet connection Firewall is shut down on both machines?

yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

are u sure cable & network cards are working

• Advertisement

hm. that should work then.
    Unless you have another FW on either machine? Trend, Symantec, Zone alarm etc.
    It's definately a crossover cabe?
    Do you have green led's showing where you have the cables plugged in?
    Link is showing in the taskbar?

It's probably some stoopid little setting I can't remember. Can anyone else point dutchboy in the right direction?

when i have it pluged in it says local area connection connected
    got green light cable says crossover on it disabled all that type of stuff
    emmm...........

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

sounds like everything is in order. in DOS type 'ipconfig' and just confirm that the IP addresses you have entered have actually applied. also, you might have a look in device manager to confirm that all your drivers are OK (control panel, ensure you are viewing everything in classic view, open system, hardware tab, device manager button - if you have an exclamation mark or question mark on anything there (especially under network adapters!!!) this might be the problem.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Dutchboy
    Try this
    I run linux so i don't have exact steps - but you should be able to follow.

from device manager - system in control panel - select the ethernet card.
    There should be some tabs at the top - i think the one you are looking for says Advanced.
    You are looking for a drop down menu that sets the card to Half-Duplex 10mbps
    select this on both PC.s
    This is the most basic of nets so bob should be your uncle.
    If he is not then replace cable,

Good luck

done all that do i need an ip address for defalt gateway and what is a dns server

• Advertisement

you dont need an IP address or DNS server for a small LAN with only 2 PC's connected with a crossover cable.

still though, when you say done all that, did you check the link speeds of both network cards, that may be it?

Puteq wrote:
    you dont need an IP address or DNS server for a small LAN with only 2 PC's connected with a crossover cable.
    QUOTE]

I'm sure you meant you don't need a gateway IP, puteq ;)

Doh! you are correct Sleipnir, thats exactly what i meant!

thanks for pointing that out or things wouldve got well confusing around here in a minute

one is a msi kn8 plat motherboard which has gigabyte ethernet the other is just a normal network card with 100mb

man that says it for me, are you were you have checked what egan007 suggested earlier? the exact steps he was talking about are as follows: go to device manager (I said how to do this earlier, sorry if i am assuming you know less than you do i'm just not sure), go to the properties of both network cards (double clicking them will do this), click the advanced tab, on the pane on the left there will be an option usually called 'link speed and duplex' (not always this exact wording though) - once you click it, change the property on the left to 100Mbps/Full Duplex for both cards.

since you have 2 differing speed cards, 100Mbps and 1000Mbps they may be conflicting here even though the auto-detect setting should sort this it doesnt always work and manual intervention is necessary

ok done that
    now cop one still says request timed out
    but comp 2 with the msi says destination host unreachable
    thats some thing rite?

not sur what i done but i can share now how do i share my net connection
    thx for all your help guys

if you have your LAN set up OK then sharing internet connections on Windows XP is actually very easy. first thing to do is decide which PC will have the modem connected to it, i.e. this is the PC that will be connected to the internet directly. we'll call this one the server.

On the other PC, you have to set it to obtain an IP address automatically - the way to do this is go to the TCP/IP properties of the LAN connection and select 'obtain IP address automatically'. now give it a few moments and it should pick up an IP address from the server PC (the one that has an IP address set on it manually). it does take some minutes so either be patient or reboot the PC.

once you have successfully done this, you now want to share your internet connection, i presume you already have an internet connection created on the server PC at least -> go to the properties of this and click on the advanced tab, there is some box to check there that says words along the lines of 'allow other users to connect through this connection' (not sure of the exact wording). once you check this, wait a few minutes and on the other PC, it should automatically appear in the network connections area.

if you have any problems with this, i suggest being patient, waiting, or rebooting. the most trouble i ever have doing this is when things just simply take a few minutes to kick in.

if you do LAN gaming you may find you have troubles playing some games, i find that automatically obtaining IP addresses doesnt suit some games, in which case you may want to set the IP manually for games, then revert back to automatically obtaining IP addresses when you want to do internet sharing (a pain i know, but it only effects some games)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

are they on the same workgroup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have had the exact same problem twice over the years. Each time it took 3 full hours of rebooting, tweaking and kicking to get the damn thing working :D
    They eventually work after a couple of reboots when all of the above things have been done. I never found out what caused the problem. PCs are the strangest things.

Btw there was one difference: I was able to ping the comps occasionally even before the connection started to work of its own accord. Just keep tryin and it'll eventually work.

Hope this helps at all
    MJT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

did you try the windows xp connection wizard?

don't just run it on each PC, use a floppy, to create a network wizard file and then run it on the other PC.

I say this because I've had some problems in the past with it picking completely different ip ranges on each PC. i.e. 192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx for no apparent reason. if you create the floppy on the first machine and then move it to the second you'll avoid this.

you want to run it first on the PC with internet connectivity (if you want to share the net connection) and then use the floppy to run it on the other, making sure to specifiy that the second machine connects to another pc to get net access.

that's it.

the other thing is to make sure both user accounts have usernames and passwords which exist on the other PC, which have access rights to your files (admin rights makes things easier). if not then create them under users in control panel. you can be logged in as different users on each pc as long as the user you are logged on as has the same password on the other pc.

if all has gone well then you should be able to browse each PC.

you can set up shared folders or just browse (start, run) by typing in \\pcname\x$ where pcname is your other pc and x is the drive letter on that pc that you want to browse. the $ sign signifies that it's a hidden share (with each drive having it's own administrative share unless it's been removed) e.g. c$, d$, e$, etc..

good luck.

Advertisement