Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Your Results Here!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Well I told my parents about my disappointing results (385). Their reaction completely caught me by surprise, even though I was anticipating some sort of terrible backlash from them. My Dad absolutely freaked out and started shouting and screaming things at me. My Mother stormed up to her room and won't even be in the same room as me, let alone talk. Things aren't looking good folks.

Right now I'm confined to my room until they decide what to 'do' with me. This is so stupid, I'm 18 years old and they treat me like I'm 5. Next time they start another screaming session I'm just going to tell them what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

What the fúck you got your course tell them to fúck off... what use will 160 extra points be after you get a degree in exactly what you wanted...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm thinking that oeNeo is either trolling as usual, or else this explains so so much.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'd go with option b.....

it DOES explain a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ecksor wrote:
    I'm thinking that oeNeo is either trolling as usual, or else this explains so so much.
    I let him at it. He puts in so much effort, bless him.

• Advertisement

I wish I was trolling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww *hugs*

Are you going away to college? If you are only another few weeks and ur free:)
    If not well be happy for yourself that you got your first choice and you will do well from it:)
    I know it hard but parents are often cruel with out realising how terrible they are being and take the How dare you ruin my life stance? just try and ignore it, if there wasnt so much pressure put on you in the first place, you may have done better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fireangel

Its only sinking in now what I got! I got 315 points which is a good bit more than what I needed but sadly I still don't get to go to college because I didn't get my course requirements. My parents don't see the point of me repeating so I guess I just have to go get a job. Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted I'm really pleased for ye! And roll on the Debs! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Im only 17 so I think to keep both my parents and myself happy I will take this year out and work and maybe apply for a course that doesn't have course requirements for next year! Never know what might happen I guess! I can always do some night classes or something like that. I guess the options are pretty endless! I've got the rest of my life to decide what to do with myself.

I think everyones happiness should come before points and education. What is the point of doing a course in college and then ending up with a job you hate. Im happy with my points. I probably didn't deserve my course requirements. So if it's meant to be then it will happen! :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

fireangel wrote:
    a course that doesn't have course requirements for next year!
    They come in that flavour?
    fireangel wrote:
    I think everyones happiness should come before points and education. What is the point of doing a course in college and then ending up with a job you hate. Im happy with my points. I probably didn't deserve my course requirements. So if it's meant to be then it will happen! :)

That's a pretty bad attitude, I know, because it was my attitude last year before I repeated. I'm now looking at getting a course I'm really going to enjoy, all for just an extra year. I'm extremely grateful that my mother convinced me to repeat rather than get a job.

You're only 17, fine, one of my mates was 17 going into college, in fact he didn't even get any of the courses on his CAO list. He DID however go through the AQA courses list when it came out and signed up for a course. He's still doing that course and is happy he decided to take it up.

Don't give up yet, if the course requirement are all you need, if it's one or two subjects, just repeat one or two subjects. Your points from this year can be counted for points requirements and the subject grades you get in the 2005 exams can count for course matriculation.

Thanks for the advice CuLT. Its only the one subject I need to repeat if I do. Im just trying my best to stay optimistic about everything seeing as my friends keep telling me Im to pessimistic about everything. I might work on the one subject myself during the year and take the exam again next year. I will probably try talk it out with my mam again tonight!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I got 420, 60 more than I needed. That's good for mee seeing as how I did no homework for the two years and started my study a month before the exams :). Every1 in school thought I was stupid. STING :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

hugz@oeneo

Hey rich you dumb bastard, what did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

I got 510... about what I expected, maybe a little less (major feck ups in maths subjects).

My first choice course was 430 in 2001, 460 in 2002 and 480 in 2003... going up 20-30 points each year so far - I'm 30 points over last years cut off, so I don't know if I'll make it. I might barely scrape it, hope so anyway. Can't wait until Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

545 for me.
    A1-Physics,Chemistry,French,Irish(o)
    A2-English
    B1-Maths
    C1-Applied Maths

Like u Subway, I messed up badly in the Maths subjects, which is my favourite and strongest area....and i did well in the language subjects(not my strongest), so my LC was bitter-sweet.
    Maths is my favourite subject but i made some stupid stupid mistakes in too many part bs,was expecting at least an A2(i think i just missed out on it). I took up Applied Maths mid 5th year after getting sick of geography,and i didnt get a grasp on it un til the mocks where I got an A2. The paper at a glance seemed like a great straighforward paper but i messed up badly on every question i tried and ended up giving up in the end.

I cant complain tho i think i got the pts 4 Civil Engineering in UCD-470 last year.(Anyone else apply for there btw?)

Subway, what school did u go to in galway, I went to the Bish :rolleyes:

Intel wrote:
    Like u Subway, I messed up badly in the Maths subjects, which is my favourite and strongest area....and i did well in the language subjects(not my strongest), so my LC was bitter-sweet.
    Maths is my favourite subject but i made some stupid stupid mistakes in too many part bs,was expecting at least an A2(i think i just missed out on it). I took up Applied Maths mid 5th year after getting sick of geography,and i didnt get a grasp on it un til the mocks where I got an A2. The paper at a glance seemed like a great straighforward paper but i messed up badly on every question i tried and ended up giving up in the end.

That's all eerily similar to me... I was supposed to be getting As in maths, applied maths and physics (usually my favourite/strongest subjects), instead I got a B3 in maths, C3 in applied (Nearly a D!) and an A1 in physics. Thinking about appealing either maths or applied (I didn't think I'd do any better in applied, but I thought I'd get a B2/B1 at least in maths).

The languages (not usually my strongest subject) turned out to be where I got all my points - A2s in English, Irish (o) and French. Distinction in LCVP came in handy aswell (70 [easy] points).

Not too bad overall, but I think I might be appealing one or two things, I'll view them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Wow, thats the opposite for me. I took up applied maths around december in 6th year and I could never manage to work out questions correctly. I think I was in the zone on the day though as I got an A2 which I was amazed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Corona

English (H) A1
    Maths (O) A1
    German (H) B2
    Music (H) B1
    History (H) B2
    Geography (H) C2
    Irish (H) C2

475 in total. Was pleased overall but Irish and Geography were my best two subjects in the mocks and worst two in the leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Noodle

Irish (H) C1
    English (H) B3
    French (H) B3
    Economics (H) B3
    Chemistry (H) B2
    Physics (H) B2
    Maths (H) A1 - so happy with maths by the way. My best subject!

Got 485 points - a lot more than I thought I would. :D

• Advertisement

I told my parents what I thought of their treatment on Thursday at about 6pm when they got back from work. I was absolutely bricking it. Started off by saying that it was my Leaving Cert, not theirs, that I got the points I needed and that they were putting me under far too much pressure. Again, I was expecting to get screamed or shouted at but they just said nothing and left the room. I was stunned when they did this. About 20 minutes later they came back downstairs with my suitcase packed, my Dad grabbed me a threw me outside into the car. We drove down to the village bus stop, he handed me €20, leaned over and opened my door. He didn't say anything but I got the point. They wanted me out of the house.

So I left the car and he drove off. Right now I'm staying in a friends house. His parents are away for a week so I guess I'll just stay here for a few days and let them cool off, or something. I plan on ringing my sister in Connemara today as well and see if she can talk some sense into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

They packed your suitcase for you? Some people really get the royalty treatment

They packed your suitcase for you? Some people really get the royalty treatment

AND he got €20. Can't remember the last time my parents gave me twenty euro. Lucky bastard.

same here subway, i asked my dad for busfair this morning and he told me to fúck off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

This has to be bu****it

oeNeo wrote:
    I told my parents what I thought of their treatment on Thursday at about 6pm when they got back from work. I was absolutely bricking it. Started off by saying that it was my Leaving Cert, not theirs, that I got the points I needed and that they were putting me under far too much pressure. Again, I was expecting to get screamed or shouted at but they just said nothing and left the room. I was stunned when they did this. About 20 minutes later they came back downstairs with my suitcase packed, my Dad grabbed me a threw me outside into the car. We drove down to the village bus stop, he handed me €20, leaned over and opened my door. He didn't say anything but I got the point. They wanted me out of the house.

So I left the car and he drove off. Right now I'm staying in a friends house. His parents are away for a week so I guess I'll just stay here for a few days and let them cool off, or something. I plan on ringing my sister in Connemara today as well and see if she can talk some sense into them.

i know, my dad would never give me a lift to the bus, i get the "i walked 12 miles in my bare feet to get a bus" story,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

awwwww, ye poor little poppets.

3 years ago I got 455

Physics - H - A2
    English, Maths, Geography, Accountancy - H - B3
    Irish - H - C2
    French - H - C3

I'm now (hopefully) going into 4th year Elec. Eng.

College is waaaaay too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

One quick question syxpac. Everyone keeps telling me that the LC is the hardest exam you will ever do in your life.
    After 3 yrs of Elec Eng. (and I hear its pretty tough)would you agree with this?

L5 wrote:
    This has to be bu****it

As I've said earlier in the thread, I wish it was.. but it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Did mine in 2001, spent most of time concentrating on my sport and computers, didnt like my school much(dont think it liked me either:P), came out with 410 points end of the day. Parents were not that impressed given that my Dad is the academic type, but I got what I needed (360pts for Computer Systems in UL), am well happy, enjoying my course, end of the day thats what matters - if you dont *e n j o y* the course youre doing, youre not going to stick it for 4 years.

Advertisement