Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is good

Options
  • 17-08-2004 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

Doom 3...loving it, especially with my brand spanking new 128Megabyte ATI Radeon 9800......BEHOLD MY MIGHTY FIST IN ALL IT'S PIXEL SHADED GLORY!!!!!!!!!.....oh yeah

also Half-Life 2 will soon be winging it's way towards us all, anyone else as excited as I?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I thought the same thing when i first booted up doom 3...these are the salad days to be a gamer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Its a good time for pc gamers (with half decent pcs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yup. good times indeed.

and i'm impressed with how nicely my 9600np is keeping up with doom3 after a bit of tweaking :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

disagree .... D3 is an overhyped distinctly average game with great graphics. (skin textures especially). *

Plus for ATI users its virtually crippleware straight out of the box. Never had to do so many tweaks to get a reasonable (not good, just reasonable) frame rate and a stable game - continually crashed at first. Thats with a 9800pro with XP3000ish

Hope HL2 offers better entertainment. I hope they dont go down the crippleware route for Nvidia owners.

* reserve the right to change this post if I start enjoying it more. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tis good times indeed , Farcry Doom 3and WE7I so far this year me a happy bunny.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

doom 3 is just a shooter like the old doom1 with fancy graphics, it brings nothing to the fps

no vehicles :( no damageable surroundings :( no open-plan environments :( no new weapons :( no innovation at all

shoot... move down corridor... shoot shoot... rememeber how that scared you the 1st few times.... shoot shoot ... move... run ... shoot... and eventually press escape and uninstall

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Doom 3 is a brilliant horror shooter.

For me, it fulfils the horror part quite well, and gives you stuff to shoot at – wow -, with a shoestring storyline that brings you thought the different environments for a somewhat reasonable reason, avoiding complete repetitiveness…

On a side note: Pong still plays a joy these days, some people never really liked Pong, there just wasn’t much else around for then to like better. Hype in over drive never helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Good times indeed. Doom 3 was exactly what I've been waiting for... a perfect doom update in my opinion - and it runs surprisingly well, even on my (now modest) Geforce3.

Never bought FarCry. Maybe I should...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

m8 i wouldnt bother with far cry with ure gf3 no offense just it runs okish on my 9800pro and 3000xp gig of ram (brillant game thou)

really looking forward to getting doom3 wondering what are the essential commands and tweaks needed to make it run its best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

The game ran perfect on my radeon 9700. Didn't have to do anything other than drop the resolution down to 800x600 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

tman wrote:
    yup. good times indeed.

and i'm impressed with how nicely my 9600np is keeping up with doom3 after a bit of tweaking :p

i am on 9600 mobility running it on medium at 800 x 640 at around 29fps, what u running it at ? i just changed cahced images to 256 i think.

l3rian wrote:
    doom 3 is just a shooter like the old doom1 with fancy graphics, it brings nothing to the fps

no vehicles :( no damageable surroundings :( no open-plan environments :( no new weapons :( no innovation at all

shoot... move down corridor... shoot shoot... rememeber how that scared you the 1st few times.... shoot shoot ... move... run ... shoot... and eventually press escape and uninstall
    Imagine, if you will, if led zeppelin reformed and released an album of new material. When you listen to it, the zep have added hip hop beats, robert plant occasionally bursts into bouts of hippity hop, rapping about how ****ty it is to be a teenager and then one of the goons from linkin park does some guest rapping. Youd think 'oh ffs these guys practically invented rock, now theyre selling out following trends by bands who wouldnt even be around if it werent for the influence of led zeppelin!!'
    Doon doesnt need fancy bells and whistles like vehicles and crap because without doom you have no far cry, no half life no nothing. Doom is the ORIGINAL gangsta. Err i mean original fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I have a Radeon 9200 and it runs medium for me, bit of slow down, but mostly its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

l3rian wrote:

Err maybe you should play the game before making such comments. You can damage certain surroundings like wall and desk lights, generators and other bits and bobs. Not to the same level level as that poxy mars based game, Red something or other but seeing as how the game was dross its no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Deadwing wrote:
    Imagine, if you will, if led zeppelin reformed and released an album of new material. When you listen to it, the zep have added hip hop beats, robert plant occasionally bursts into bouts of hippity hop, rapping about how ****ty it is to be a teenager and then one of the goons from linkin park does some guest rapping. Youd think 'oh ffs these guys practically invented rock, now theyre selling out following trends by bands who wouldnt even be around if it werent for the influence of led zeppelin!!'
    Doon doesnt need fancy bells and whistles like vehicles and crap because without doom you have no far cry, no half life no nothing. Doom is the ORIGINAL gangsta. Err i mean original fps.

Wolfinstien 3d was the original fps :D

Venom wrote:
    Wolfinstien 3d was the original fps :D
    Damn you, you know what i meant! ID are the original gangstas :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

<Muzz> picture this Joe90
    <Muzz> me
    <Muzz> muzz
    <Joe90> Muzz enough
    <Muzz> rD^
    <Muzz> best team in ireland
    <Muzz> playing
    <Muzz> you
    <Muzz> joe90
    <Muzz> retarded n00b
    <Muzz> now
    <Muzz> you getting 5 - 1 on me
    <Muzz> on aztec
    <Muzz> after i win the first round
    <Muzz> ...
    <Muzz> wahts it tell you
    <Joe90> i r teh leet?

Wow, what a wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Plus for ATI users its virtually crippleware straight out of the box. Never had to do so many tweaks to get a reasonable (not good, just reasonable) frame rate and a stable game - continually crashed at first. Thats with a 9800pro with XP3000ish

Strange. It ran lovely for me straight out of the box. I'm on a 9600np.
    Now I've done a few tweaks and it's running even better. Have you got enough RAM? Processor? Is your computer in a jock?!

Advertisement