Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power concerns.

Options
  • 17-08-2004 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Simple question really.

Epox 8RDA+
    Athlon XP 2500+
    MSI Geforce FX 5900XT
    40gb Western Digital
    160gb Maxtor
    a DVD drive and a CD burner
    A couple of case fans.

My current powersupply is dying, it won't start up with the cd and dvd drives plugged in. so I need a new PSU I figure. I think this would also be a good time to get a new case, this one to be exact

Would the powersupply with it suffice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea that PSU should be fine. You know you can just get a seperate PSU and pop it in ?

I doubt you will have any probs with that new case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

cheers, I just wanted to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

this paticular area is a bit of a mystery to me. I under stand the concept of W=V.Amps and that its okay to go over but not under the values coming from your PSU, but dosen't each component need to be calculated for different voltage values ie. +12V +5V + 3.3V then these values added up are am I dreaming, I mean how did you calculate that 360 watts would be suffecient to run the components listed, did you guess or work it out?

but dosen't each component need to be calculated for different voltage values ie. +12V +5V + 3.3V then these values added up are am I dreaming

Yea thats correct.
    I mean how did you calculate that 360 watts would be suffecient to run the components listed, did you guess or work it out?

Experience. Have seen and speced a hell of alot of PC's over the last year. A non overclocked Xp2500+ and 5900 are going to be the most taxing on the PSU. Its a good quality brand and outputs pretty close to what its rated for.
    I used to work it out a little more when i started looking into it (i have a link somewhere that calculates it for you) but that sort of spec is very common and ive done alot of research into PSU's brands etc (aswell as tested them out).
    that its okay to go over but not under the values coming from your PSU,

I take it you mean power here then yea thats right too. (different with voltages as over volting can be worse than under for obvious reasons - burning connections etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

Sorry to bring bring this back up but my powersupply died properly and i only today got the new case.

Just wondering, with everything still standing as it is, what would you say are my options for space upgrades, ie how many more hard drives could a push it to?

• Advertisement

Another hard drive should be fine.

With overclocking you might begin to strain the PSU or if you add much more than that.

Advertisement