Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

x box live - wireless connection

• 17-08-2004 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hows it going everyone!

I hope somone can help me out here. I have broadband connection and it is connected to my PC in an upstairs bedroom but my xbox is downstairs. I want to set up a wireless connection for the x box and the ps2 downstairs but havent a bulls notion where to start. What do I need? I know that on the microsoft webite(US) they have a new product a wireless router but I dont think you can get them here yet. Is there any alternatives and where can I get them and how do I set up such a thing with my existing set up. I live in the Cork city area! Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers!

Ice27

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Hmmmm I've a similar question, I have a wireless broadband router and am wondering if its possible to get a wireless adapter for an Xbox. Anybody know?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've moved this to Wireless, might get a better response here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

looked at the link thanks
    would xbox work on wireless BB , i seem to remeber people saying that
    you get packet loss or something across a wireless connection
    I also notice that this product works with DSL I assume it work with a wireless connection as well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

The Linksys WGA11B is far better reception-wise and feature-wise than the WET11. I've used both.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=550

You will need a wireless access point or wireless router to go with it. The type of connection - ADSL/cable/wireless BB/etc doesn't matter (as long as you're not trying to hook up to a 56K modem or something :) ). If you already have a router from your ISP, just get an access point.

And I wouldn't worry about "packet loss or something".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Thanks for the links!! much appreciated. So I already have a broadband router that came with the IOL offer all I need is an asscess point/adaptor!!
    Cheers!!

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Hiya,
    Yeah it should work no problem with Wireless, any WIFI ethernet bridge will do.

Infact Microsoft make one especially for the xbox. (Control it through the dashboard)

Hold on and I'll have a look for the link.

Edit: Here you go:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/productdetails.aspx?pid=015

S.

HI again,

Yaeh I saw that but it is not on the Irish xbox site nor is it available to the European market yet, I think!!!I certainly cant see how you can get this in the retail shops or even by ordering on the net as they wont deliver to Ireland. It would be ideal and also its compatible with anything with a ethernet connection I think!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Hi, yeah sorry should have made my post more clear.

Just ment that as MS make an ethernet wireless bridge for the X-box that any should work.

I presume that it just wont have the dashboard stuff.
    Would be nice to get the X-box one though. :-)
    I think I saw it on amazon too.

S.

Hi,

Something just clicked!!!

To set this up I need to have the Router I got from IOL which is attached with a USB, replaced with a wireless router, and then on top of that I would need a wireless adapter/assembly point so I can plug the xbox in with a ethernet connection.

Does the existing router definetely have to be replaced, it seems like a savage waste of technology!!

Cheers1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Does the IOL router have ethernet? I think they all do. If it does, it should be able to be plugged in to the uplink of a wireless access point/router. Most wireless routers/APs have ethernet out as well as radio - so plug that back into your computer and have the wireless reciever for the xbox.

There is a wireless AP here that should do the trick (if not im sure the people here will be able to correct me) and it has the added bonus of being cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

If helps got the Linksys Wireless-B game adapter (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=550) working with my Xbox and Eircom provided Netopia wireless BB router.

It was a bit tricky configuring the game adapter at first - the setup program running on my laptop didn't detect the game adapter (connected via ethernet port) until I plugged both laptop and game adpater in a small ethernet hub I've got (odd) but when i did I was able to configure the game adapter for my wireless networks SSID, channel, WEP key etc. Also configured the game adapter to use automatic addressing (DHCP is configured on the wireless router).

Having done that switch the game adapter to P1 (program one, you can configure up to three combinations of wireless network config into it) and plugged the game adapter into the xbox's ethernet port.

I used the Netopia wireless routers administration program to add the game adapter's MAC address to the list of adapters that are allowed use the wireless router , restarted the router and fired up the xbox. It failed to connect to xbox live but told me that the cables WERE connected succesfully so obviously the xbox would see the wireless router via the game adpater. Checked the XBOX live config to make sure that it was using automatic IP addr, DNS servers etc. All cool but still no XBOX live.

When I added the XBOX's MAC address to the list of allowed values in the Netopia wireless router and restarted it - HP ; xbox live!! hoooray.....,...wirelessly..hooray....€60 a year...boooooh.

Hope helps. BTW hats off to Colm @ Maplins in Jervis St. who ordered in the game adapter from linksys and got it in in four days. :D

Advertisement